Sign in to follow this  
isuzu

What 3 series to buy

If you go auto, which is likely - be aware that Japanese E36 imports with the JATCO transmission will probably have the 'Jatco jerk' where when cold, the gearbox hangs on to 1st gear for longer than usual then abruptly shifts to 2nd. Doesn't seem to be detrimental to the transmission though - just annoying.

aaaah i am glad i checked this thread, i recently drove my uncles 94 325i and wondered if there was something wrong with the auto because of the abrupt 1-2 shift for the first minutes of driving. all other shifts were fine tho.

I would say get him a manual as it will teach him how to drive properly, and if he is a car nut get him something with a little bit of grunt (like over 90kw) otherwise he will be wanting to sell it in a few months and buy a Jappa... 6k would buy you a much safer late model low rent car.

IMHO I would sagest a E30 as the better first car as they are more reliable and easier to maintain if your into a bit of DIY.

That's a good point James! I forgot about insurance. I guess a 318 will be cheaper to insure.

Isuzu: Insurance aside, have a look at this thread regarding fuel consumption, it gives you some sort of idea of what to expect. I guess what I'm saying is, just because the engine is smaller doesn't mean it'll be easier on petrol. http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=14858

For a 16yo...insurance is kind of...important...I havent had insurance since I started driving...which is actually quite risky...but so far so good...

Ex SA?

Japan - the number plate holder at the front is too small for the NZ number plate, and the speedo fuel economy gauge has km/l instead of l/100km.

Japan - the number plate holder at the front is too small for the NZ number plate, and the speedo fuel economy gauge has km/l instead of l/100km.

But on the boot lid is that of a NZ New...

I bought an automatic '91 E36 320 sedan about a year ago for 4.5k At the time it had 125,000km on the clock, 4 new tires, new brake rotors, ABS. Mine is the 6 cyl model and as of yet I haven't come across a standard 318 that has anywhere near the acceleration. I drive from Featherston to Wellington and back everyday which includes driving the Rimutaka Hill road and sitting in SH2 traffic for 2 hours and petrol costs me around $20 a day which isn't too bad.

No airbags but to be honest, the one crash I've had in this car where I completely lost traction on black ice and hit a barrier at about 40kp/h, I barely felt it. It was like hitting the tire wall in a go kart.

Other than the water pump collapsing after sitting in the garage for a month, I haven't had a single problem with this car. Handles great, ample power, and built like Arnold Schwarzeneggar.