Sign in to follow this  
isuzu

What 3 series to buy

Hi to all, new to the forum and would appreciate some help choosing a 3 series model for my son. He is 16 and wants to change his vehicle for a 2nd hand 3 series. Dont really want to spend more than $6000 NZ max as he has to contribute as well. Have been looking on trademe but just have no idea where to start. Can anyone recommend a model thats reliable and cheap to run out of the 3 series range. Only definite requirements we would like would be ABS and airbags. Is there any particular model thats stands out from the rest, we prefer manual but auto would also be fine. Have seen quite a few in this price range and cheaper but dont really know where to start.

Many Thanks. :unsure:

Sorry wrong section.

Edited by isuzu

someone might be able to confirm for me but im fairly sure the pre-facelift E36 models (1991-1994) 3 series dont have airbags. The E30's are great cars, but not many have ABS and very rare to see one with an airbag.

A 95-98 BMW E36 would probably be the way to go.

Edited by bmw3

someone might be able to confirm for me but the pre-facelift E36 models (1991-1994) 3 series dont have airbags. The E30's are great cars, but not many have ABS and very rare to see one with an airbag.

My '94 E36 has driver and passenger airbags....

If your son is 16 a 318i manual would be a good little car.... you'd need to look hard to find one with ABS and airbags. The sportier 318is should be optioned with those however

Good luck!

someone might be able to confirm for me but im fairly sure the pre-facelift E36 models (1991-1994) 3 series dont have airbags. The E30's are great cars, but not many have ABS and very rare to see one with an airbag.

'94+ have 2 airbags. 92-93+ have abs

Edited by JP

i have an e30, love it to bits. el f**k-o'd at the moment but safe as fort knox

you dont really need airbags i dont think

You should buy this one. E30s have long bonnets you dont need an airbag! :P

and they are basically german battletanks in disguise...

Fair point. Buy this one.

But really... is ABS is required... some E30s do have em'

But for $6k, I'd get a really tidy E36 (Personally, I would stay clear of a 320i).

I have a 93 E36 325I and it has both ABS and driver side airbag, it has been a wonderful car for me so far however I will not recommend this model due to the large engine (petrol cost).

Obviously I am biased towards an E36 so I will recommend either a 318i / 318is or a 323i (which I hear is fairly economical).

The 318 models are fairly gutless (so probably extra bonus points in your eyes ;)).

You should definitely be able to find a good clean automatic E36 in your price range, manual is a lot harder to find and is generally quite a bit more expensive as they are always in hot demand.

Good Luck!

Edited by crazyarab

Would go for a 318i e36.

Heaps around on trademe etc

Economical,Reliable and not to fast for a 16 year old.

Any mileage requirements? At $6k you are looking at high mileage examples - at least 100,000km.

In general:

1991/1992 E36 = No airbags. ABS.

1993 E36 = Driver airbag. ABS.

1994 onwards E36 = Driver and passenger airbag. ABS.

To get a 1994 onwards E36 with $6k you're looking at E36 320i, 325i, 323i and 328i. All will be high mileage examples - recommend 323i or 328i as it has decent torque/power to haul around the heavy chassis. They have the M52 engine, which produces more low end torque which should be better for petrol consumption. E36 320i (at least the earlier ones, I had a 1992) has bad petrol consumption (no better than 325i).

You are not going to get a decent manual E36 for $6k. Maybe a 318, but I didn't list it above because I think it doesn't have enough power for the E36 chassis. Not knocking the 318 guys - just my opinion. For what it's worth though, 320 and 318 will be similar in acceleration but 320 will have worse petrol consumption.

If you go auto, which is likely - be aware that Japanese E36 imports with the JATCO transmission will probably have the 'Jatco jerk' where when cold, the gearbox hangs on to 1st gear for longer than usual then abruptly shifts to 2nd. Doesn't seem to be detrimental to the transmission though - just annoying.

Edited by Yuen

Thks sounds like good advice.

Would go for a 318i e36.

Heaps around on trademe etc

Economical,Reliable and not to fast for a 16 year old.

Thks for the great info. No mileage requirements really. At 16 he should be happy with anything.

When he's working he can spend the bucks if he wants something better.

Cheers

Any mileage requirements? At $6k you are looking at high mileage examples - at least 100,000km.

In general:

1991/1992 E36 = No airbags. ABS.

1993 E36 = Driver airbag. ABS.

1994 onwards E36 = Driver and passenger airbag. ABS.

To get a 1994 onwards E36 with $6k you're looking at E36 320i, 325i, 323i and 328i. All will be high mileage examples - recommend 323i or 328i as it has decent torque/power to haul around the heavy chassis. They have the M52 engine, which produces more low end torque which should be better for petrol consumption. E36 320i (at least the earlier ones, I had a 1992) has bad petrol consumption (no better than 325i).

You are not going to get a decent manual E36 for $6k. Maybe a 318, but I didn't list it above because I think it doesn't have enough power for the E36 chassis. Not knocking the 318 guys - just my opinion. For what it's worth though, 320 and 318 will be similar in acceleration but 320 will have worse petrol consumption.

If you go auto, which is likely - be aware that Japanese E36 imports with the JATCO transmission will probably have the 'Jatco jerk' where when cold, the gearbox hangs on to 1st gear for longer than usual then abruptly shifts to 2nd. Doesn't seem to be detrimental to the transmission though - just annoying.

Thks sounds like good advice.

No worries -

I would buy this gem, Nz New,Good k's,tidy and 1k under budget! :)

Click me

It would be a good tidy reliable car for your son for many years.

Thks for the great info. No mileage requirements really. At 16 he should be happy with anything.

When he's working he can spend the bucks if he wants something better.

Cheers

No problem. Just be aware that the cooling system is a common overhaul item on a high mileage BMW, so check if the previous owners have done it.

get a broken down e30 and make him fix it :)

Oh come on, be realistic...Its not like everyone is a E30 nut around here...

318i are alright I guess, at least mines be all good to me...Sure its a bit of the black sheep in the family, 4 cylinder SOHC and drummies on the rear, but its always been quite fun to drive...even still today...though I am getting a little restless with the 115hp figure which cant get me anymore adrenaline rush...

Consider about insurance, I wasnt able to get insurance on my car when I was 16...need less to say, you will have higher chances of getting insurance on a 318i over a 320i or above.

Fuel economy is average I suppose, nailing out 500Km+ on a tank which costs around $90~ on 98 (depending on the supermarket discount vouchers)...

Consider about insurance, I wasnt able to get insurance on my car when I was 16...need less to say, you will have higher chances of getting insurance on a 318i over a 320i or above.

That's a good point James! I forgot about insurance. I guess a 318 will be cheaper to insure.

Isuzu: Insurance aside, have a look at this thread regarding fuel consumption, it gives you some sort of idea of what to expect. I guess what I'm saying is, just because the engine is smaller doesn't mean it'll be easier on petrol. http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=14858