Sign in to follow this  
madracer

e39 540 dvd player

does anyone have some information on installing a dvd player into a 1998 e39 540, i have the factory tv and as i scan through the channels there is a blank av channel so im guessing it shouldnt be too difficult. the amp and cd changer is on the left of the boot and im not sure where the tv tuner is as i dont know what it looks like.

Cheers for any help

does anyone have some information on installing a dvd player into a 1998 e39 540, i have the factory tv and as i scan through the channels there is a blank av channel so im guessing it shouldnt be too difficult. the amp and cd changer is on the left of the boot and im not sure where the tv tuner is as i dont know what it looks like.

Cheers for any help

Havent done one but it can be.

PM me for details

Cheers

Grant

Cheers for any help

PM Jochen. He's not in NZ at the moment but checks in now and then.

sorta OT question but does the dvd version of the navigation computer play dvds on the nav/tv screen?

Easy peasy.

The TV tuner is called the 'video module' and is located behind the bulge on the drivers side behind the rear seat on ex-Japan cars, and behind the CD changer on the lefthand side of the boot on all other cars (Singapore, NZ, etc).

Decide where you want to mount the DVD player (or iPod video, which is what I used. I put mine in the glovebox).

Buy an AV cable - the usual RCA to RCA with yellow/red/white connectors - long enough to go from video module to whereever your DVD player will be.

Cut the RCA plugs of one end of the cable, and solder the BMW connector pins to the cable.

Note that the AV IN is mono, so connect left and right audio inners together (white and red), and connect the audio shields together. The fact that it is mono doesn't matter, the sound is fantastic anyway.

Connect the pins into the appropriate unused terminals in the white video module connector as follows:

Pin 4 = Audio inner (white & red)

Pin 5 = Audio outer (shield)

Pin 6 = Video inner (yellow)

Pin 15 = Video outer (shield)

You can ask Grant McFie (hotwire) for some pins, or get them from an old plug at the wreckers, or buy them from BMW

Have fun!

sorta OT question but does the dvd version of the navigation computer play dvds on the nav/tv screen?

No, the nav drive is a nav computer only. The fact that it can read DVD media just helps to increase the size of the map disc.

It cannot play video DVDs.

Been coming for a while now.

Good bang for buck & ideal for a non monitor equipped car - where it simply plugs in & replaces the original radio.

I would not personally take out an OEM monitor/TV system & replace with one of these. All these (Nav, TV, Bluetooth, Reverse camera, DVD/ipod) can be acheived in factory option, albeit a little more expensive to add the Bluetooth.

Also, unlike BMW, I see they use the same unit for E38/39 AND X5 - the OEM units are not the same in the X5 - a different bezel to suit the different shape dash & also a different pixel alignment in the screen to allow for the different viewing angle to the cars.

I also contest that the OEM Nav is much simpler & more intuative to operate than the Navman I have just got for my work ute - give me my car system any day.