Sign in to follow this  
Mark Babb

Speedshow 2008

Speedshow 2008 which will be held at the ASB showgrounds this year. By all accounts it will be around 4 or 5 times the size of 2007. www.speedshow.co.nz

one of the many themes will be the history of BMW in NZ Motorsport. Keith Sharp is currently trying to locate as many BMW Race Cars with history here in NZ.

Any suggestions or known whereabouts would be appreciated.

Cars i know of:

Mike Delmont WTCC BMW

Conrad Timms Ex Group A M3

Ex Steve Soper Group A M3 somewhere in the south island (anybody have a name)

Any body know of where Keith Sharps Ex Group A M3 (Castrol) car is in the south island ??

Ex Frank Gardner JPS 325 E30 advertised on Trade-Me

Bruce Miles, 320i Super Touring car

Lindsay O'Donnell, 318i Super Touring Car

The Chapmans, 318i Super Touring cars x 2

Graeme Clyde, 320i Super Tourer

Rick Michels, E30 M3

Stephen Grellet, not exactly sure

Jim Wallace, E30 M3

Peter Thorby, E30 323i

There's a short list.

Mike's E21 if he still has it would be more unique.

Call Richard at DCH Motorsport, he'll be able to put you in touch with pretty much everyone on that list.

I will ask next week when I'm down there if you'd like.

Edited by Cain

Bruce Miles, 320i Super Touring car

Lindsay O'Donnell, 318i Super Touring Car

The Chapmans, 318i Super Touring cars x 2

Graeme Clyde, 320i Super Tourer

Rick Michels, E30 M3

Stephen Grellet, not exactly sure

Jim Wallace, E30 M3

Peter Thorby, E30 323i

There's a short list.

Mike's E21 if he still has it would be more unique.

Call Richard at DCH Motorsport, he'll be able to put you in touch with pretty much everyone on that list.

I will ask next week when I'm down there if you'd like.

Thanks for the help, crikey i never realised so many cars were here in NZ. I believe Mike done a deal with his E21 for the 3 x WTCC cars.

If you are able to ask that would be great and then Keith from Speedshow can approach each person. Keith will be at our final race meeting in a couple of weeks, so i guess he will be chatting then to Mike and Conrad about having their cars on display. I believe Andre and Mike tubbs also drive ex touring cars ??

Who owns the Benson and hedges ex Tony longhurst car? Keith sharp raced his Group A M3 against that car in the Wellington street race years ago.

Thanks again

Mark

Who owns the Benson and hedges ex Tony longhurst car? Keith sharp raced his Group A M3 against that car in the Wellington street race years ago.

Thanks again

Mark

One of the Longhurst e30 m3's ended up being written off against the NM500 start / finish wall (yellow car) was there another car ? (he was lucky to survive that one)

Didn't Jim Richards drive a 635csi in the first couple of NM500's . I think John Billington QC also drove one as well ?

Edited by Neal

One of the Longhurst e30 m3's ended up being written off against the NM500 start / finish wall (yellow car) was there another car ? (he was lucky to survive that one)

Didn't Jim Richards drive a 635csi in the first couple of NM500's . I think John Billington QC also drove one as well ?

You might be talking about the JPS 635, which Jim drove many years ago. He also had the chance to drive it (and the Sidchrome Hillman Imp) at the Dunedin Street Race in Feb 2006 - here's some pics I took at the event. The car is currently owned by Jim Boult, who I believe lives in Chch.

Speaking of JPS, Frank Gardner also built two 325i E30's, as forerunners to the E30 M3's. Those cars were owned and raced by the Clyde brothers in Chch, but I understand they are now with a collector in Wanaka.

The B&H car in which Denis Hulme died in 1992 is now owned by Kevin Underwood. (Auckland) Any other surviving B&H cars might have been converted to Diet Coke cars, after tobacco sponsorship was banned. Rick Michel's (pictured at Levels, Feb '06) is one of those, and he also takes care of the other, which I think is also owned by Kevin. (Auckland)

Yes, Mike's 320 Turbo Grp 5 is now in Singapore, along with the NM500-winning Schnitzer M3, previously owned by Warren Good. Those two cars were part of the deal involving the 3 WTCC cars.

The Soper M3 was owned by Jim Wallace, but is now raced by Mark Scott of Wellington. The car lives in the South Island, is prepared by Rick Michels, and was at Pukekohe in January. A truck-load of the South Island's best made an appearance at the HRC meeting - Rick's Diet Coke car, the Denis B&H car, Mark's Soper car and Stephen Gellet's E30 M3. (pictured) I think that last car is a former DTM racer, subsequently converted to a hillclimb car in Czechoslovakia.

There is also many other "active" cars with history - Dougal McGibbons 635 CSi was placed 2nd in the 85 (or 86) Wellington Street Race, driven by Sytner and Morton. They believe they actually won, but Mark Petch managed to convince the officials that his Volvo had done one lap more than everyone else thought they had. the attached picture shows Dougal "dicing" with a Viva in Dunedin. (Feb '06)

Peter Thorby (Chch) runs the Group A 323i E30, which was the model before the JPS 325i's.

post-966-1205887607_thumb.jpg

post-966-1205887619_thumb.jpg

post-966-1205887638_thumb.jpg

post-966-1205887652_thumb.jpg

post-966-1205887668_thumb.jpg

post-966-1205887680_thumb.jpg

post-966-1205887704_thumb.jpg

plus these.

Where are the ex-BMW Motorsport cars? 2 x E36 320's and the E36 325 Coupe

post-326-1205899384_thumb.jpg

post-326-1205899424_thumb.jpg

post-326-1205899466_thumb.jpg

post-326-1205899521_thumb.jpg

post-326-1205899570_thumb.jpg

You might be talking about the JPS 635, which Jim drove many years ago. He also had the chance to drive it (and the Sidchrome Hillman Imp) at the Dunedin Street Race in Feb 2006 - here's some pics I took at the event. The car is currently owned by Jim Boult, who I believe lives in Chch.

Jim Boult's car is the second JPS Group C car (which was built from a Group A bodyshell), then converted back to Group A in early 1985. It was then driven by Neville Creighton for Winton, then on-sold to Jim Keogh.

The JPS Group A 635 that Jim Richards drove in the ATCC in 1985 was until recently owned by David Towe in Australia, now owned by Adrian Brady.

plus these.

Where are the ex-BMW Motorsport cars? 2 x E36 320's and the E36 325 Coupe

I think Graeme Clyde has/had a 320i E36 race car, but I don't know if that was one of Lyall's old machines, built for Brett Riley and Craig Baird to run in the NZTCC. Kevin Bell also drove cars prepared by Lyall, and he may even have owened one of the 320's. They originally had two 325i E36's (Baird & Riley), one of which was retained even when the 320i's were built, and was run for Jason Richards, who was just a newbie. I don't know if that was the Riley car, which is now inthe hands of Brett & Andre Cowan or the Baird car, which for many years has been raced, rallied and nearly rolled by Mike Tubbs. Both of the 2.5's have been uprated to 3.2 M3 engines with 6-speed boxes, and are regular competitors in the BMW Race Series.

Is the E30 JPS 325, the one that the RAT had a stint in, if it is Graeme (now at Impwerks with Brian) formely G.A.C was working on it about a year ago here in ChCh. G.A.C was always full of BMW track cars both new and old and he enjoyed nothing more than talking about their pedigree. Im sure he'd know the whereabouts of any missing S.Island cars.