Sign in to follow this  
owe

What does this light mean?

I've got an 88 320i manual and yesterday a little light popped up on the dash which has a small clock and the word "inspection" lighting up.

I am going to assume this means it is time for an inspection? If this is the case is this just a reminder for a general checkup a "xxxxxx" miles or is it likely to be something more serious?

Any recommendations of a relatively inexpensive place to take the car to in Auckland city?

Thanks.

It means that your due for a general inspection, it pops up after a certian length of distance but also depends how hard you drive your car. Take it in to a BMW place, they will run thru a checklist then have for inspections and reset the inspection counter.

I think its 4 (or 3) inspections inbetween a service. It staggers from 3/4 inspections service, then another 3/4 inspections and then a "service 2". Service 2 being the same as the first but with extra bits like brake rotors. I have the service book at home and can tell you what they run through if you like.

The Service Lights have two levels of this.

There is an Inspection 1 and an Inspection 2. Basically it is a reminder for the owner to give the car a "check over".

I have the list of what is supposed to be inspected at both levels of inspection, I'll try and find it.

However don't worry about it. When you carry out a service on your car and reset the service lights, juts reset this as well.

Cheers

Woah nelly, i've been getting mine serviced from BMW centre since I had it, no wonder everything seems to work properly - they're quite thorough by the sounds of it and they even oil the door hinges :)

Oh yeah - the inspection light is an annual thing - hence annual inspection, it's totally time based and irrespective of the service lights.

Oh yeah 2 - the annual inspection is really useful for picking up preventative problems with your car, like if you need to think about replacing bushes or your cambelt, but they only make suggestions.

I think i've been paying $150 for an inspection...but I get them to do the warrant at the same time as it's less hassle.

Edited by ///Carl

Woah nelly, i've been getting mine serviced from BMW centre since I had it, no wonder everything seems to work properly - they're quite thorough by the sounds of it and they even oil the door hinges :)

Oh yeah - the inspection light is an annual thing - hence annual inspection, it's totally time based and irrespective of the service lights.

No its not, it is a based on the service lights and follows this sequence:

Service lights out first time = normal service

Service lights out second time = normal service + inspection 1

Service lights out third time = normal service

Service lights out fourth time = normal service + inspection 2

Then it all starts over again.

Cheers

I beg to differ, every Feburary my annual inspection light comes on irrespective of how much i've used the car, can you explain that one, and why do the service centre call it the "Annual Inpsection Light" if it's not an annual thing??????

How does your car know that a year has passed? There is no clock in the Service Inspection Light mechanism?

I have had my car for more than 5 years (as well as a 1990 E30 320i for two years), they both worked as I described earlier, without exception.

Maybe you have a different SI board.

Cheers

Also, having it based annually would make so sense. Some people drive 5,000km's a year, others drive 100,000km's a year - therefore having is based on km's driven (like general servicing) makes more sense.

The only time mine has been out of sequence is when I have not reset my service lights myself properly (which I have only ever done once).

Cheers

All I know is that every February without fail i've had that damned inspection light come on.

My last service was an S.2, $500 for the works, I think my last S.1 was $350.

The annual inspection isn't a biggie, you can just drive around until you need a service if you want, just depends if you can handle the light being on I guess...

Also, having it based annually would make so sense. Some people drive 5,000km's a year, others drive 100,000km's a year - therefore having is based on km's driven (like general servicing) makes more sense.

I agree Grant that it doesn't make sense being a yearly thing, it just seems that that's what mine does, luckily for me it happens just before winter every year so I get new wiper blades out of it.

Carl is right, it isn't a biggie at all. I have enough faith in myself to think that I can carry out the inspection my self.

I wouldn't get too concerned about it.

Cheers

on both my e30's and the two e34 I'm familiar with the service lights are use and type of use based, so I f you drive pretty normally and don't see much "track" time you'll get about 6 months between lights.

I get 3-5 winter or summer ( less for summer - a bit longer for winter ).

I know one guy who got the full set in 1 year so I doubt it's time related, unledd it could be time limited, ie it'll come on earlier but not more than 6 months, but I doubt it.

I've taken mine to the BM Workshop a couple of times. They have been really good, and are close to central Auckland. They are on New North Road, just out of Ponsonby.

Cheers

I take mine to BM Workshop as well. Good place and they give you a loan car if requested. My last service cost 640 buks, but that included a drivers door lock actuator.

I'm a qualified mechanic, and looked after all my previous cars, but wont with the beamer. Maybe when its older and something like brake pads wear out, no prob i'll do it.

I don't quite understand why you are saying" WOHHH" to a few hundred dollar service?

Its not that much money, and besides you supposed to say " few hundred buks - who cares cos i drive a beamer!" :thumb:

Guest WAGON

ha ha my old 318 light came on every 5 mins

strange thing is it went off after i crashed

lol must of fixed it

ha ha my old 318 light came on every 5 mins

strange thing is it went off after i crashed

lol must of fixed it

it was the cars way of saying NOOOOOOOO please dont rape me (thrash/kill) then when it crashed, it decided to give up any hope of an easy life and decided to shut itself down!!! hahah pwn3d!!!

:lol: :mosh: :mosh: :mosh: