Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

A1: Black Beauty bruised in South Africa

New Zealand's A1 Grand Prix series challenge has hit a speed bump after emerging battered from a tough street fight on Durban's waterfront in South Africa.

Despite qualifying third for both races, driver Jonny Reid finished 20th after an accident on the first turn in the sprint race and spluttered to 10th place in an incident-packed feature race following a pit stop mishap.

Black Beauty picked up just two points for the weekend - one point for setting the day's fastest lap and the other for surviving a feature race that resembled a demolition derby at times.

Switzerland, with a second place in the sprint and a feature race win, have catapulted into the championship lead with 118 points.

France are second 10 points back on 108 points, with New Zealand dropping to third, 20 points behind the Swiss.

Team manager John Sears said two incidents spoiled what was shaping up to be a strong weekend.

"The onboard data shows Jonny was as quick as anyone, but he was a bit optimistic in the sprint race and the pit lane incident was debilitating when we had started the feature race so well," Sears said.

The narrow pit lane and a communication mix-up saw the departing Black Beauty car bump the incoming Mexico during the first scheduled pit stop.

Second at that stage, New Zealand lost valuable time replacing the car's nose cone and then had to complete a drive through penalty for causing the collision.

Reid said his first races on a street circuit were real eye-openers.

"I've learnt the hard way how unforgiving street circuits can be and I'm sure I'll be a stronger driver for the experience," Reid said.

"Both incidents could have been avoided, although the sprint race smash was my fault for getting too close to Canada and not appreciating Robert Wickens' braking style heading into the hairpin.

"He went off the brakes before braking hard again and I couldn't avoid hitting him."

Just three rounds remain in the 10-round series but Sears believed the title was still within the team's grasp.

"It's a case of re-grouping and fighting hard. We've reeled Switzerland in from a 19 point advantage earlier in the season and we just have to focus on doing that again."

- NZPA