Sign in to follow this  
steve R

rebuilding bilstein shocks

does anyone have any experiences with re valveing and regasing bilstein socks?

are rebuilt shocks as good as new?

any idea on price? have heard $80ish a corner but don't know how accurate this is

Edited by 328imobbin

Apparently rebuilt bilsteins are sweet and you can have them revalved to suit your springs etc. Contact Chris at Suspension Tech 027-214-5325.

I had my one bilstein adjustable overhauled, $348 later though.

That was new shaft new seals gas etc etc

so thats for a whole new insert?

Yep, new insert, shaft, seals etc etc.

Define the differance?

Define the differance?

I think greg meant the difference between a rebuilt shock and an insert replacement, Not the difference between a Koni and a Bilstein.

Greg just had his front Bilstiens rebuilt as inserts are not availiable. He got the shaft replaced, as it had wear marks, and naturally they replaced all the seals, regased, etc.

I assumed a level of intelligence that he would know the difference between and insert and a rebuild

Ok All you people, I used to make shocky's [ Dampers] and rebuild them for Gabriel in the 80's

A Bilstein is a Monotube shock with a gas charged "floating piston" to take up the displacment of the rod [ or it'll hydraulic and burst ]

The Koni is just a well engineered conventional "twin tube" shock [ the outer wall is a reservoir , whereas on the bilstein it's the cylinder ]

plusses & minuses for both! dent a billy and it's Fuct, but a billy has greater cylinder wall area so it will still dampen shock loads when it gets hot , because of heat expansion [ that why rally cars use them ]

The only thing that normally wears [ excluding damage ] is the O-ring on the piston and the seal that the shaft goes thru [ these things are swimming in oil ] causing leakage past both

Also Heavy Duty shock-oil is actually ATF

The hardest part about rebuiding both was recharging the gas

I assumed a level of intelligence that he would know the difference between and insert and a rebuild

Now now mate!

Haha hadn't been in this thread for a while.