Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

Need upgraded engine mounts options

I'm using the factory e30 325i rubber engine mounts for the V8, Now they are showing signs of stress under the torque (they are old though), so i need to upgrade, I havint rang around yet because i wanted to here what you guys though as far as urathane mounts go, what brands and what prices etc?

Interested to here what you e30 race boys are using,

Andrew etc

Cheers

Riley

Edited by Drifty 340i V8

I'm not a series competitor. But from what the internets tell me, harder rubber instead of nylon or polyurethane is better for a street car. Lasts longer, and you don't get you're fillings shaken out. Toyota Racing Development, Mugen, etc use hard rubber for uprated mounts in street applications rather than polyurethane replacements. Not sure bout ACS, or Hartage?

Have had uprated engine mounts (ESMM) and a torque damper in a street car for a short period, came to the point where I was looking at raising the idle to make it bearable in traffic! (thankfully was offered good money to get rid of them!) So just a warning!

The uprated mounts and torque damper resulted in huge improvement in the throttle response and made the car feel more "together".

So if you want to uprate the way I went was inserts, where polyurethane sleeves or inserts are put around/in the factory mounts. They were cheap too!

I don't think the E30 chassis is stiff enough for a torque damper, but Ernst @ Bavarian Motors reckons the box section under the windscreen and top of the firewall is very stiff. So maybe you could adapt one to fit?

my 2c

Thanks for your comments, very in depth indeed. I think your right about using harder rubber engine mounts as apposed to poly etc. And I've thought about the dampener as well, I think i could mount the dampener off the shock tower where the strut brace mounts or even off the strut brace. Ill look into it, thanks for your help it certainly makes sense

cheers

Riley

Give Autolign a call mate. I am having some mounts made for a couple of race series guys at the moment. Autolign can make you what ever you want. They have two compounds which are both harder than the stock rubber. Although they still said the softer of the two compounds is best for street use.

I'm running Urethane mounts from Ireland Engineering.

Were pretty cheap, even better now with the exchange rate.

And were here in ~7days.

Im getting a package price from Chris from IE for engine,subframe mounts and seeing what he can do on an adj camber/toe kit as well