Sign in to follow this  
E30BMA

Warning beeper???

Every now and then my e30 makes 3 loud beeps, about 1 beep per second. It beeping seems to come from around the instrument cluster area, however, no warning lights come up and nothing seems to change in terms of driveability. Anyone know what it could be??? :huh:

On E36 cars that denotes the memo function on the OBC going off (kind of like an alarm clock). Not sure if it's the same on E30's.

Have you got a different head unit to the factory one? Does it usually happen when you turn the car off?

If you have an OBC, it could be the temperature warning.

If it reads under 4(?) degrees it beeps at you, warns of black ice etc...

Have you got a different head unit to the factory one? Does it usually happen when you turn the car off?

I do have an aftermarket stereo, happens at random times, while driving, when parked, just random as times. sometimes it wont do it for a week, then it'll do it 2 or 3 times the next day.

not the hourly chime is it????About 15 seconds before the hour??

Theres no factory analogue clock in my centre console so i doubt its that, cheers for the thought though.

If you have an OBC, it could be the temperature warning.

If it reads under 4(?) degrees it beeps at you, warns of black ice etc...

its been happening lately and the outside temp is around 20-25 degrees. Ive got the OBC in the hood lining but none of the warning lamps light up aye.

Im totally clueless as to what it is..... thought someone here may know.

The overhead display is a warning display only - NOT an OBC (on board computer)

You say -no anologue clock - yours obviously digital - does it have - (from memory) about 9 buttons on it below the display? - if so it is an OBC & the beep could well be the ice warning as previously mentioned - this can happen when the sensor (around L/H front fog lamp area) fails.

Ill check out that obc tonight, Maybe Ill unplug that and see if it stops. Not really a major issue just gets irritating after a while.

Edited by E30BMA

If its a OBC related noise it wont be comming from the OBC itself it will be comming from a small speaker mounted to the plastic panel above the foot pedals, have a look at it and you will see it, a kind od rounded rectangle with holes in it, you can just pull it out and unplug it if it really bothers you.

So it happens when you stopped so its not the speed warning is it which tells you when you pass a certain speed?

Just turn the radio up....all good :)

Just turn the radio up....all good :)

Already did that and busted the 20 year old paper speaker cones to bits,. :P

Already did that and busted the 20 year old paper speaker cones to bits,. :P

Buy new ones then, you have enough money????

If its the temp. warning it may sound like the seatbelt light coming on in a plane.

Every now and then my e30 makes 3 loud beeps, about 1 beep per second. It beeping seems to come from around the instrument cluster area, however, no warning lights come up and nothing seems to change in terms of driveability. Anyone know what it could be??? :huh:

Hey I got exactly the same problem with my E39 540. Gives out 3 beeps periodically, no warning lights or anything, temp gauge looks all right, temprature more than 13c. No speed limit set up, so not that (anyway can happen at all speeds). Was thinking it is the Navigation unit telling me I have made a wrong turn (the damn thing still thinks I am in Tokyo). Will remove the Japan DVD today to see whether that has any impact. Was interesting earlier, but now just plain irritating!

Hey I got exactly the same problem with my E39 540. Gives out 3 beeps periodically, no warning lights or anything, temp gauge looks all right, temprature more than 13c. No speed limit set up, so not that (anyway can happen at all speeds). Was thinking it is the Navigation unit telling me I have made a wrong turn (the damn thing still thinks I am in Tokyo). Will remove the Japan DVD today to see whether that has any impact. Was interesting earlier, but now just plain irritating!

Look at your watch the next couple of times it does it.... if it's happening at the same time it's the memo function on the OBC. The user manual will tell you how to turn it off.

on the hour ussually?.three beeps just before the hour.on the e34 it is turned on when you see a little ((( symbol when the time is displayed on the OBC (i think you e39 guys call it the MID?)

Look at your watch the next couple of times it does it.... if it's happening at the same time it's the memo function on the OBC. The user manual will tell you how to turn it off.

I just went down and sure enough it was on. Turned it off, hopefully will get rid of the beeps. A plus point was that when I turned off the memo, it also removed the ))) sign on the screen, whose meaning I have been trying for a long time to figure out!

So is this memo function only to give a chime on the hour?

Thanks for your advice.

on the hour ussually?.three beeps just before the hour.on the e34 it is turned on when you see a little ((( symbol when the time is displayed on the OBC (i think you e39 guys call it the MID?)

Yeah, it might have been (((.

So is this memo function only to give a chime on the hour?

It's about 10 seconds before the hour

The MEMO function is to remind you to switch on the radio and listen to the news at the top of the hour. That's why MEMO is about 10 seconds before x:00 oclock

It's about 10 seconds before the hour

The MEMO function is to remind you to switch on the radio and listen to the news at the top of the hour. That's why MEMO is about 10 seconds before x:00 oclock

I guess the Germans would go crazy to hear that most news here are never on time!

Looks like memo was the problem, no more beeps! Thanks guys.