Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

PlayStation 3 games zoning?

as topic, I rather not trust salesperson in the shops for this one.

I am a bit confused by the zoning on PS3 games. Does someone know anything about this one? (Assume the console is stock standard with no mods)

I know there's NTSC & PAL for the games and they are NOT interchangble. Other than that is there anything else that keep me from playing imported game?

--------------------

While we are on zoning, I know that

BluRay we are zone B, so to watch BluRay movie I must stick with it.

DVD we are zone 4 and must stick with it to watch DVD.

^^^ am I right?

as topic, I rather not trust salesperson in the shops for this one.

I am a bit confused by the zoning on PS3 games. Does someone know anything about this one? (Assume the console is stock standard with no mods)

I know there's NTSC & PAL for the games and they are NOT interchangble. Other than that is there anything else that keep me from playing imported game?

--------------------

While we are on zoning, I know that

BluRay we are zone B, so to watch BluRay movie I must stick with it.

DVD we are zone 4 and must stick with it to watch DVD.

^^^ am I right?

NZ Aus and GB i think are PAL and most other places are NTSC. Most imports or ones you download are in NTSC which you will need a chip to play on PAL ps

PS3 is region free.....

Really? oh awesome, what about copied discs? They what work without modification will they?

You will need to get a mod chip to play copies. And if Sony is like MS your unit will get perma banned for online play as soon as they detect its been modded.

Really? oh awesome, what about copied discs? They what work without modification will they?

As far as i am aware yes.

On mine i can play nz new games and imported. I brought my PS3 brand new in NZ too.

Im not sure regarding coppied games however....

It can play the majority of my movie i have as it can play Divx format, which my dvds are.

IMO, PS3 is great!!!

Thanks all for the info, I can now eBay-ing for some games. They are a fair bit cheaper.

Gotta love the Hi-Def Goodness. Sadly the current gen PS3 can't play PS2 games anymore.

Thanks all for the info, I can now eBay-ing for some games. They are a fair bit cheaper.

Gotta love the Hi-Def Goodness. Sadly the current gen PS3 can't play PS2 games anymore.

Did you get the 40gb cheaper one without backwards capability? Can you still get the ones that are capable of playing ps2 etc? Also can you permanently store games on the HD?

Yes, I bought the 40GB version recently. Probably quite hard to get the older ones now, you'll need the 20GB (even more rare) or 60GB version to play PS2 games. Even so, not all games are compatible.

I am not aware of storing games on HD, perhaps it's for modded consoles? Unless it's some of those downloadable demo from PS3 Store.

i dont think there bring in the 80gb anymore, weren't sellign enough, i was told you can drop in your own hard drive if you get the right kind.

PAL & NTSC dont really matter that much anymore with HD & yea the PS3 has no zoning.

Cant you store games on the xbox 360? Why have a HD and not be able to store games.

A friend hooked up a HD to his PS2 and could store games with small modification.

Its illegal. So no they can't do it with out modding the unit. Which is also illegal and voids your warranty and online capability.

Only copying games is illegal.

Modding your console is not.