Sign in to follow this  
323e30

M50 e30 conversion, gearbox mods

Ive started to do an m50 conversion into my 325i e30.

Most of the conversion is strait forward except i plan to use the e30 260 gearbox rather than an e36 manual box

does anyone know where i can get some info on the mods needed to be done to use the older box?

Ive sused the wiring, mounts, sump, radiator, and brake booster so far, So just need to work out what im going to do with box before i attempt to drop the engine.

Yo mike, you decided to go M50 after all eh.

Try www.r3vlimited.com

I think you use the e28 M5 transmount on the factory e30/260 crossmember. Should be good I think. Ill have to dig through my notes...

sweeet, Ill check it out, just worry cos it sits on a lean when bolted to the engine.

What have you decided to do engine wise with your ride now?

do you have an m50 engine yet? i have an m50 2.5 that was with a manual box. man box is stuffed, and out the car the engine is still in there with wiring.

Edited by bmpower

i have 2.5 and 2.8 m50 engines .

yeah i have an m50 2.5 already , also got an e34 oil pan, Using e28 engine mounts and im converting the original e30 fuse box to support the m50 engine myself. ive got the brake booster from an e36. And im taking off the front fan on the engine so that i can fit the e34 radiator in and have wired in an electric fan instead.

Im going to use a 260 manual box that i have and use an e30 flywheel and clutch + pressure plate. and use e30 325i drive shaft.

Have also got an lsd 3.45 ratio diff in the car but mite change the ratio later, Just going to experiment a bit haha.

so at this stage im pritty sweet parts wise just havent done anything about the gearbox mounts yet.

Was told that i may need an e28 gearbox cross member but i havent really found any sources that actually show whats used or how it looks.

Is there any one else on bimmersport thats done this conversion with a 260 box?

yeah i have an m50 2.5 already , also got an e34 oil pan, Using e28 engine mounts and im converting the original e30 fuse box to support the m50 engine myself. ive got the brake booster from an e36. And im taking off the front fan on the engine so that i can fit the e34 radiator in and have wired in an electric fan instead.

Im going to use a 260 manual box that i have and use an e30 flywheel and clutch + pressure plate. and use e30 325i drive shaft.

Have also got an lsd 3.45 ratio diff in the car but mite change the ratio later, Just going to experiment a bit haha.

so at this stage im pritty sweet parts wise just havent done anything about the gearbox mounts yet.

Was told that i may need an e28 gearbox cross member but i havent really found any sources that actually show whats used or how it looks.

Is there any one else on bimmersport thats done this conversion with a 260 box?

you will need to use the e30 m20 starter as well to match the flywheel.

the early e28 gearbox mount bracket is metal , easy to cut weld etc

you will need to use the e30 m20 starter as well to match the flywheel.

the early e28 gearbox mount bracket is metal , easy to cut weld etc

Oh yeah ive got the m20 starter aswel.

Have you got an e28 box cross member mount? whats it worth to you?

Ive started to do an m50 conversion into my 325i e30.

Most of the conversion is strait forward except i plan to use the e30 260 gearbox rather than an e36 manual box

does anyone know where i can get some info on the mods needed to be done to use the older box?

Ive sused the wiring, mounts, sump, radiator, and brake booster so far, So just need to work out what im going to do with box before i attempt to drop the engine.

Hello,

What hp has the M50 got? Have you got rid of the 325i engine yet? It would be cool if you posted your pictures of the build.

Cheers

Andrew had a 260 box cut and shut at the bellhousing to rotate it to fit the turbo in his e30.

You would have to ask him for more details, have no idea what it cost.

Goto Euro Italian for the e28 gearbox mounts if that fails then go mount shop. How come you are using the E28 gearbox mounts? I used them with my ZF box on my M50 conversion woulda thought u could just use standard E30 gearbox mounts or does the whole gearbox on a lean thing change this?

Also have you had your motor sitting in the car yet? I was told to use E28 engine mounts for a proper fit and they did not work... been driving mine for 5 months now with the motor still touching the brake booster had to put washers on each mount to raise the motor 20mm each side roughly...

Luke

Goto Euro Italian for the e28 gearbox mounts if that fails then go mount shop. How come you are using the E28 gearbox mounts? I used them with my ZF box on my M50 conversion woulda thought u could just use standard E30 gearbox mounts or does the whole gearbox on a lean thing change this?

Also have you had your motor sitting in the car yet? I was told to use E28 engine mounts for a proper fit and they did not work... been driving mine for 5 months now with the motor still touching the brake booster had to put washers on each mount to raise the motor 20mm each side roughly...

Lukeo

Im gonna use a golf gti brake booster, its half the size and doesnt need to be modded to make it fit the arm inside the car. (other than to drill the pin hole slot on arm a few mm's bigger)

and use e28 engine mounts with a 20mm alloy packer on the passenger side mount.

Havent decided what to do about the gearbox mounts tho, just for the fact the box will be on the piss, So at this stage i only have the e30 ones but havent attempted anything with them yet. think it will be about 10 degress on the piss or so.

Im gonna use a golf gti brake booster, its half the size and doesnt need to be modded to make it fit the arm inside the car. (other than to drill the pin hole slot on arm a few mm's bigger)

and use e28 engine mounts with a 20mm alloy packer on the passenger side mount.

Havent decided what to do about the gearbox mounts tho, just for the fact the box will be on the piss, So at this stage i only have the e30 ones but havent attempted anything with them yet. think it will be about 10 degress on the piss or so.

Yea a golf brake booster, exactly what I used (off a mk3 golf) I didnt need to drill the pin hole slot any bigger.... still the intake mani rested on the brake booster.

I found raising the mount 20mm on the passenger side pushed the exhauast manifold on the drivers side very close to the steering arm and would catch on it when cornering left, in turn causing my steering to jam! Not fun.. so i had to raise the drivers side also about 20mm and now its fine. Going for a cert tho next month so want something more legit custom mounts etc..