Sign in to follow this  
Old_Skool_Bmw

If I won lotto....!!! - 1988 M3 e30 Cab!

This thing is MINT!!

http://www.bmwclub.co.nz/market-place/403.html

If only I won lotto i'd buy this straight away! Have been for a few cruises in this thing and it's awesome.. pitty it's for sale.. here's hoping it goes to a someone who will look after it :)

There probably won't be another like it in New Zeland again, EVER!

Laurence.

This thing is MINT!!

http://www.bmwclub.co.nz/market-place/403.html

If only I won lotto i'd buy this straight away! Have been for a few cruises in this thing and it's awesome.. pitty it's for sale.. here's hoping it goes to a someone who will look after it :)

There probably won't be another like it in New Zeland again, EVER!

Laurence.

Damnnnn. I wonder how much he wants for it?

my guess is around 90 - 100 k

At an educated guess I would be thinking $100K+

Given our geographical location & the fact that this is probably the cleanest e30 Cab in Australasia I think it's worth the asking price :)

Laurence.

Edited by Old_Skool_Bmw

My God are you serious? I'm sure the conversion would definately devalue it a bit. Hardly original if someone's chopped it up in some garage.

My God are you serious? I'm sure the conversion would definately devalue it a bit. Hardly original if someone's chopped it up in some garage.

you have to have seen this car to appreciate it. it is absolultely immaculate. photos don't do it justice

Didn't he pay about $27-29k plus resto costs? Had about 192km on the clock? I can't see anywhere near $100k, but each to their own.

The restro costs more than what he is asking. He has a full docoumentation of the rebuild which was stripped back to bare metal and all parts were either brand new from BMW or rebuilt to brand new standards.

These cars are more rear than the EVO3 which by the way he also owns. His car was with Doug's at Concourse and came runner up for BMW last year.

In this case I doubt the milage comes into the equation.

As EDDY mentioned the photo does very little compare to seeing it in the flesh

Haha.. it was done a bit better than 'chopping it up in a shop'.. Knowing the quality of the work done I don't think the RHD conversion devalues it at all :)

Didn't he pay about $27-29k plus resto costs? Had about 192km on the clock? I can't see anywhere near $100k, but each to their own.

IMHO the asking price is under what the car is truely worth.. it's cost a lot more to rebuild than what he's asking so there won't be any 'profit' made if it sells.

I guess it comes down to "What it's worth in the eyes of the buyer". wouldn't suprise me if this thing goes off shore to AUS.

Laurence.

Memory says it sat for $45k forever last time it was for sale.

It might be rarer than a Sport Evo, but I can't see it ever being as collectible - Evo III was the pinnacle of race homologation specials, M3 vert was (ducks for cover) a parts bin special done to use up bits and shift a few E30 shells before the introduction of the E36. To my mind the M3 kit doesn't even suit the vert body shape.

Rarity alone doesn't mean much - RHD E28 M5 is about the rarest of the lot, and look how long those sit on trademe at mid 30k mark. I think it is the first rule of cars that you rarely (never) get back the cost of a restoration on sale.

I once saw an article that listed four factors governing the collectibility of cars - essentially a collectible car would have at least 3 of the 4. I think they were

1) rarity

2) competition history

3) beauty

4) performance

IMHO an E30 M3 vert is too compromised wrt the last three of the above to be worth 90-100k

Nic

I think it is the first rule of cars that you rarely (never) get back the cost of a restoration on sale.

I once saw an article that listed four factors governing the collectibility of cars - essentially a collectible car would have at least 3 of the 4. I think they were

1) rarity

2) competition history

3) beauty

4) performance

IMHO an E30 M3 vert is too compromised wrt the last three of the above to be worth 90-100k

Nic

No, you'll (normally) never recover full restoration costs, especially short term. Even doing the donkey work yourself is unlikely to make much difference if the objective is any more involved than a superficial cosmetic cleanup.

I recall this car for sale a few years ago too, wasn't it at Global Cars in Parnell?

The car probably would/could be worth the money he's asking if it was in the UK or USA, possibly Germany. I think that NZ is too microscopic a market for this type of car - ideally you want obsessive enthusiast collectors to be fighting over it and queuing at the gate. Sadly there just aren't that many guys or girls in NZ at any given moment in the market for niche toys like this.

:>)

Nick

I've seen it in the flesh, both before and after and it's a truely lovely car, but in my opinion, not worth anywhere near $100k, maybe $65k? As I said, each to their own.

I agree that you never recoupe your dollars when doing a full restro, and nor does the current owner but there appears there is a few intrested parties , and even to the stage that a figure was offered and it was much higher than Palazzo felt where it sits in the market and was turned down.

The e28 m5 maybe rear, but it's a ugly car compared to the E30M3 which looks fast sitting still and has good curves and does't date compared to other models, and we could go as far to say the same for the e30 series as a whole. It was only a few years ago a e30 was at give away prices, now your hard pressed to find a good one, and if you do they are getting good money now.

As performance, I believe this version was issued with the updated motor which was the 2.3 215ph motor, so it would still get and and go but it's certianly no track car.

As others have already mentioned, we see it at different values, but at this stage and been on the market less than a week a figured has been offered higher than others see it as.

I dunno, it might be worth that much to just the right person.

I think my 850CSi will be similar in 10 years time when it is in perfect condition, it will be worth quite a bit of money, especially considering there is only 3 or 4 in the country, and they are the only M car so far with a V12, and have a 6 speed manual :)

I agree that you never recoupe your dollars when doing a full restro, and nor does the current owner but there appears there is a few intrested parties , and even to the stage that a figure was offered and it was much higher than Palazzo felt where it sits in the market and was turned down.

The e28 m5 maybe rear, but it's a ugly car compared to the E30M3 which looks fast sitting still and has good curves and does't date compared to other models, and we could go as far to say the same for the e30 series as a whole. It was only a few years ago a e30 was at give away prices, now your hard pressed to find a good one, and if you do they are getting good money now.

As performance, I believe this version was issued with the updated motor which was the 2.3 215ph motor, so it would still get and and go but it's certianly no track car.

As others have already mentioned, we see it at different values, but at this stage and been on the market less than a week a figured has been offered higher than others see it as.

Cool. I'm all for increasing E30 values and I happen to think the M3 convertible looks quite good, having seen this and the one in Total BMW 2-3 years ago. Very surprised by the price though, but that's the beauty of an open market.

That car looks mint.

I agree its worth 100k and I think someone will pay it without blinking an eyelid, probably in Aussie though unfortunatly

100k isn't much money these days to alot of people.

A freind in Brisbane recently brought a 320 vert, Very average condition for 15k :o and shes already spent over 10k on it just getting it tidy!Still needs a decent panel and paint and various other things to get it looking half decent I'll grab some pics when i'm over next week.

E30's are worth real money over the ditch, they are fairly rare and sought after.

It might be rarer than a Sport Evo, but I can't see it ever being as collectible - Evo III was the pinnacle of race homologation specials, M3 vert was (ducks for cover) a parts bin special done to use up bits and shift a few E30 shells before the introduction of the E36. To my mind the M3 kit doesn't even suit the vert body shape.

Rarity alone doesn't mean much - RHD E28 M5 is about the rarest of the lot, and look how long those sit on trademe at mid 30k mark. I think it is the first rule of cars that you rarely (never) get back the cost of a restoration on sale.

1) rarity

2) competition history

3) beauty

4) performance

Hello.

Of course, everyone is entilted to their viewpoint. I understand yours.

The competition aspect of your (above) criteria is somewhat misleading in my opinion.

There are many highly sought after cars that have not proved themselves in competition. An example of this would be a convertable 500 Shelby Mustang. One really has to own a convertable and drive it to appreciate why so many people worldwide are prepared to pay so much more than the standard hard top. It just is a whole different driving experience.

Beauty : you and I will just have to part company on this matter. The car is outstandingly beautiful.

Performance : well, it is no turbo Porsche ..granted. But it has the same mechanicals as an Evo11 E30M3 so why should it be disregarded ?

Lastly, this is MY car that you are talking about. You are more than welcome to come and drive it. Perhaps you may have a different experience than that which you anticipated.

Peace.

BTW...I have NOT put a price on this car. I am open to discussion with genuine folk. If someone wants to misbehave though...I may not promise to be entirely cooperative.

Cheers to you all for this little Easter break that we have.

Nic

E30's are worth real money over the ditch, they are fairly rare and sought after.

Cause they have such strict laws on imports most are aus new.

Cause they have such strict laws on imports most are aus new.

Sort of...

every dollar over 57k Aussi you pay a 'luxury car tax' ...10% I think.

Then, you get nailed for gst (don't we all...yawn) @ 10%,

so say you wanted to send your 1987 E30M3 over there, you have freight costs + vehicle value with gst added and if its over the 57k mark then start adding on.

Apparently designed to help there local markets with homemade product (Commodore, Falcon etc.).

Actually, imho, good for them. No seriously, at least they are looking after their Country. I guess that is why so many of our Kiwi folk go wandering over there.

Hello.

Of course, everyone is entilted to their viewpoint. I understand yours.

The competition aspect of your (above) criteria is somewhat misleading in my opinion.

There are many highly sought after cars that have not proved themselves in competition. An example of this would be a convertable 500 Shelby Mustang. One really has to own a convertable and drive it to appreciate why so many people worldwide are prepared to pay so much more than the standard hard top. It just is a whole different driving experience.

Beauty : you and I will just have to part company on this matter. The car is outstandingly beautiful.

Performance : well, it is no turbo Porsche ..granted. But it has the same mechanicals as an Evo11 E30M3 so why should it be disregarded ?

Lastly, this is MY car that you are talking about. You are more than welcome to come and drive it. Perhaps you may have a different experience than that which you anticipated.

Peace.

BTW...I have NOT put a price on this car. I am open to discussion with genuine folk. If someone wants to misbehave though...I may not promise to be entirely cooperative.

Cheers to you all for this little Easter break that we have.

Cheers for the response Oscar. Hope I haven't caused offence - as you noted, it's only my opinion.For the record I would love to have any E30 M3...

I understand what you are saying about convertibles. One of my best moments travelling overseas was when a Mustang softtop picked us up hitchhiking on a sunny day in Canada. It basically "made" what had already been a great trip. More generally though I am not really a softtop fan, I think it's because I'm too pasty and burn too much!

To clarify, in my original post I was mentally comparing your convertible to an M3 Sport Evo, which tend to go for about 20-25k pounds in the UK. Of course, I couldn't import and use the Sport Evo yet, so maybe that is not a fare comparison.

Anyway, good luck with the sale, and congrats on the car.

Nic

Cheers for the response Oscar. Hope I haven't caused offence - as you noted, it's only my opinion.For the record I would love to have any E30 M3...

I understand what you are saying about convertibles. One of my best moments travelling overseas was when a Mustang softtop picked us up hitchhiking on a sunny day in Canada. It basically "made" what had already been a great trip. More generally though I am not really a softtop fan, I think it's because I'm too pasty and burn too much!

To clarify, in my original post I was mentally comparing your convertible to an M3 Sport Evo, which tend to go for about 20-25k pounds in the UK. Of course, I couldn't import and use the Sport Evo yet, so maybe that is not a fare comparison.

Anyway, good luck with the sale, and congrats on the car.

Nic

Oh...no problem Nic, no offense taken at all.

Yes, I know what you mean about the holiday convertable experience. I hired a convertable Mustang in Hawaii some years ago. Absolutely fantastic. Just blew me away how good that was cruising around Diamond Head and around to the famous surfing 'pipeline' in that little convertable. Of course, you wouldn't bother here in NZ in the middle of our winter but then who likes driving in sh*t weather anyhow ...no matter what your ride :-(

The Cabrio sits side by side with our Sport Evo. They really are just two very different cars. You are more than welcome to drop in and aquaint yourself with the difference close up. Too many people have misconceptions and stories to tell...but here is an opportunity to see 'beauty and the beast' side by side :-)

And again, I have not put a price on the Cabrio. What is important is that I am comfortable with where it goes to and feel confident that it will be looked after. Price is negotiable.

You are more than welcome to drop in and aquaint yourself with the difference close up. Too many people have misconceptions and stories to tell...but here is an opportunity to see 'beauty and the beast' side by side :-)

If only I was in the area... hope you find the right buyer.

If only I was in the area... hope you find the right buyer.

Thank you Nic.

There's two interested party's at present (well, two that have communicated their interest :-)) , so we'll see.

I haven't sold a car to other than car dealers for a while so I don't even know if it has the appropriate market exposure (it's in Dixi as well). I had one particular person who seemed more interested in trying to tell me how to live my life. Suffice to say that we did not enjoy each other's 'company'.

I am confident that whoever buys the car will not be disappointed. Quality does not disappoint imho.