Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

E30 leaking oil

I have a couple of worsening leaks in my E30.

The first appears to be coming from the Power Steering Pump. Can you get a seal kit to repair or should they be replaced?

The second leak looks a bit more involved as its coming from the sump gasket. I tried tightening up the sump bolts I could get to a while back but its back again and very annoying. What is involved in getting access to the sump bolts to replace the complete gasket? Is it a nasty job or reasonably straight forward?

Any advice welcome.

Edited by ducatiss

Its normaly the power steering hoses that leak. However if it is the pump, they can be repaired, cheaper to go second hand though

Sump gaskets I've covered before. You need to support the engine and lower the cross member and steering rack. Remove the sump and remove all the old gasket material from the block and sump.Thoroughly clean inside the block and thoroughly clean the sump. We spray white spirits into the block to stop any oil dripping down. DO NOT use the new cork gaskets that they supply now. They crack through the bolt holes. We use grey windscreen Eurothane sealant ( not silicon ) its available from Panel Beating Supplies Ltd. When every thing is spotlessly clean, smear a thin layer on the block surface and sump surface first. Then run two continuous beads of sealant about 2-3mm thick around the sump, one each side of the bolt holes. You must do this quickly before the eurothane starts curing. Fit the sump and lightly tighten. Allow at least half an hour, then tighten. Done properly this will never leak.......DO NOT USE ANY GASKET....its not necessary. Later you trim off any excess with a knife or razor blade.

This Eurothane sealant will not seal on an oily surface. You must clean all surfaces properly with white spirits.

We use it alot for many different applications and on many different makes of cars. Its available in about 4 colours. We use grey & black. It doesnt have a very good shelf life once opened though.

Hope this helps

Any questions...you can always ring me

Cheers

Glenn