Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Diagnosed Fault :(

I've taken the vehicle to a highly reputable European repair agent with all the new BMW Computer gear and they diagnosed the problem as being "The oil level sensor"

K.G McLeod in Dunedin, they're simply fantastic for Euro cars. I've taken my Range Rover and several other higher end vehicles to these guys and the guy who owns the place can stand there and tell me exactly what's wrong with the vehicle just from what you've told him - he's never been wrong yet.

All BMW owners of the Otago region need to take a note of this company K.G McLeod as they have all the gear to diagnose especially late model BMW's because they have the same equipments as your OEM dealers, yet he's probably faster to diagnose problems hence a cheaper labour charge, they're a country mile cheaper than the OEM dealers at any rate...

I'm very very skeptical in taking my vehicles that are worth 45k + to anyone, but these guys are brilliant!

I'm happy with that, the part is $417 + Labour which I'm unsure of yet, so probably looking under the $700-$600 dollar mark.

Thanks to all the help & time to 318 & Jochen on this matter.

Cheers :)

I'm happy with that, the part is $417 + Labour which I'm unsure of yet, so probably looking under the $700-$600 dollar mark.

$400 for a sensor? New cars suck...

$400 for a sensor? New cars suck...

Well .... it wasn't one of thing that supposed to fail at a low mileage car like this one. Note the key word 'supposed'.

Is the AS issue just requires simple re-programming? The steering rack in E60 does fail at an alarming rate too.

We have the exact same problem with our E46 328. Oil warning comes back on for 30 secs-1 min after it goes out after start up.

BMWorkshop tells us its a common fault.

Were ignoring it for the moment.

Hello Deeveus $400 + labour for a sensor ouch!!. In regards to the total cost of the vehicle it is not much I suppose but $400 is $400 in any language, how many more are their on an E60 that fail. Have you looked into getting it yourself from another source or are you just wanting the problem solved quickly.

Try this RealOEM.Com and put in the last seven characters of your chassis number, select the section you need and click on the picture it will bring up a selection of parts and part numbers,OH ignore the prices they are way out.. Then try other firms outside NZ and get a price see what you come up with best of luck.

Cheers Allan

I've taken the vehicle to a highly reputable European repair agent with all the new BMW Computer gear and they diagnosed the problem as being "The oil level sensor"

Thanks to all the help & time to 318 & Jochen on this matter.

For your car:

OIL LEVELLING SENSOR Part Number 12617508003 Price USD $130.57

In my experience, the local NZ is the USD retail price x 200% (double US retail)

NZD400 for a USD130 part is pretty standard for NZ BMW shops...

Just in case I got the wrong sensor:

OIL PRESSURE SWITCH 12611710509 $11.61

Jochen

BMWorkshop suggested a similar price of around $500 to fix, parts & labour.

BMWorkshop suggested a similar price of around $500 to fix, parts & labour.

Yeah the bastards quoted me incorrectly, it was $470, not $417 like I heard him on the phone, they sound the same :o

All up to replace the sensor it was just shy of $800, cause they had to change the oil aswell...

Expensive exercise for a car that's only done 30km, it's pretty ratshit imo. The steering rack is giving problems aswell, so I've lost all interest in it because I'm not going to be a sucker for spending money on it.

I'm on an X5 now, just trying to find the correct one.... WITH a WARRANTY!!!

Errr, why don't you spend about a grand giving your E60 mechanical warranty (3rd party). Assuming you buy an X5, it'll still be covered/you have go get it covered by 3rd party warranty anyway.

Unless you're planning to spend your money at the dealer.....

Yeah the bastards quoted me incorrectly, it was $470, not $417 like I heard him on the phone, they sound the same :o

All up to replace the sensor it was just shy of $800, cause they had to change the oil aswell...

Expensive exercise for a car that's only done 30km, it's pretty ratshit imo. The steering rack is giving problems aswell, so I've lost all interest in it because I'm not going to be a sucker for spending money on it.

I'm on an X5 now, just trying to find the correct one.... WITH a WARRANTY!!!

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but maybe your experiences will help others. I guess if the car was NZ new with 30k, it would have been repaired under new car warranty? But as it is ex Japan, not so. I also guess that since it was ex Japan, it was a LOT cheaper than a NZ new car?

Therefore, I am a strong believer in ALWAYS getting a three year mechanical warranty with ex Japan cars. My last car needed a tranny overhaul - cost the warranty copmany $4500, but only cost me the $250 excess.

Thats not a bad idea guys. I think there's a place down here in Dunedin who supplies them or do you's know of the outfit who supplies the warranties?

Thats not a bad idea guys. I think there's a place down here in Dunedin who supplies them or do you's know of the outfit who supplies the warranties?

My one is

http://www.protecta.co.nz/MainMenu

Found them to be good

I went with the AA which I found to be the cheapest with no excess applied. However you will need to get your car inspected by AA which costs hundred odd dollars.

Also AA's service requirement is either every 15000kms or 12 months or according to manufacturer's requirements which is different to Protecta who requires the car to be serviced to the above schedule.