Sign in to follow this  
smokenbaby

E36 ABS

Am needing to replace my ABS pump (using my un-used M3 pump) in my road car. What I need to know is:

1, do i need to take to BMW to get them to bleed the system (been told valves need opening in sequence by a computer).

2, do i not need to take to BMW and can I just bleed it myself.

On the odd occasion I have replace pumps on non BMW cars in the past there was no need to hook a computer up to open valves to be able to bleed properly.

I bled mine myself, but only to replace existing fluid ie. no air in the system.

Not sure if that makes a difference?

Am needing to replace my ABS pump (using my un-used M3 pump) in my road car. What I need to know is:

1, do i need to take to BMW to get them to bleed the system (been told valves need opening in sequence by a computer).

2, do i not need to take to BMW and can I just bleed it myself.

On the odd occasion I have replace pumps on non BMW cars in the past there was no need to hook a computer up to open valves to be able to bleed properly.

Just install it and bleed it normally. If there are fault codes in it though, they would need to be cleared. Are you sure the pump is good one ??

Just install it and bleed it normally. If there are fault codes in it though, they would need to be cleared. Are you sure the pump is good one ??

Thanks for that. the pump out of my M3 is an unknown. I am prepared to install it and see. The current pump in the car has an "Intake soleniod" fault. Mainly due to the o-rings seeping fluid and messing up the circut board below. So at this stage the M3 pump is my best bet without spending $$$ on a recon pump.