Sign in to follow this  
aaronmartin

Ipod using CD Changer Cable

Would it be possible to cut the left and right audio cables from the CD changer to the head unit, crimp them to a new cable to the glovebox, fit a 3.5mm plug and connect in my Ipod instead?

I know the stereo would think it is playing a CD, and I would need to leave a CD in the changer for it to work, and obviously I wouldnt be able to control the Ipod from the headunit or steering wheel, but I rarely change songs on the Ipod anyway, since it is all music I like.

If this is possible, does anyone know which pins on the CD Changer plug are the audio ones?

Would it be possible to cut the left and right audio cables from the CD changer to the head unit, crimp them to a new cable to the glovebox, fit a 3.5mm plug and connect in my Ipod instead?

I know the stereo would think it is playing a CD, and I would need to leave a CD in the changer for it to work, and obviously I wouldnt be able to control the Ipod from the headunit or steering wheel, but I rarely change songs on the Ipod anyway, since it is all music I like.

If this is possible, does anyone know which pins on the CD Changer plug are the audio ones?

Just buy an ipod auxillery cable. Plugs into your ipod and into the back of your headunit. weela

Wow, seems like alot of trouble not to mention $ to run an ipod.

What type of stereo do you have? Factory? and in the X5? Normally all you stereo needs to have is an aux in. You'll need a 2rca - 3.5mm stereo cable and youre away.

Well done Yuen! That exactly what you should get Aaron. Im guessin the site's Americian? With the $ so good atm the price will be pretty good.

DICE would be nice, but it is still a couple of hundred dollars, when a spliced cable would cost about $5.

I would like to get the AUX in cable for the back of the headunit, but I through that my car was too early a model to have that plug (2000).

In the center console in the back there is a Aux In / Aux Out socket, but the sound quality is really bad, and I have to have the TV on for it to work, which means I dont get to see the trip computer.

In the center console in the back there is a Aux In / Aux Out socket, but the sound quality is really bad, and I have to have the TV on for it to work, which means I dont get to see the trip computer.

That's an AV IN and AV OUT for connecting DVD, Video, iPod Video etc

I had my iPod connected to it and the sound quality was fantastic.

Bear in mind it is only mono sound (limitation of the VDO Video Module used in the BMW system) but it works well.

This is perfectly possible. But fit a dual-pole dual-throw switch (DPDT) instead, so that you can switch between iPod and standard CD changer, that way you can still play standard CDs, and if you ever sell the car, you don't have to change it back.

Wire colours:

Production after 2001:

Left +ve = White/Red

Ground -ve = White/Brown

Right +ve = White/Blue

Production before 2001:

Left +ve = White

Left -ve = Black

Right +ve = Red

Right -ve = Grey

When connecting to an RCA or 3.5mm lead, the RCA shield connects to the Ground or both -ve signals

The left (usually white) and right (usually red) connect to the respective +ve wires.

Awesome thanks for that Jochen. Do you think I am best to splice the cables in the boot near the cd changer, or behind the head unit? I would like to route the cable for the Ipod either in the glovebox or the centre console.

This is perfectly possible. But fit a dual-pole dual-throw switch (DPDT) instead, so that you can switch between iPod and standard CD changer, that way you can still play standard CDs, and if you ever sell the car, you don't have to change it back.

Wire colours:

Production after 2001:

Left +ve = White/Red

Ground -ve = White/Brown

Right +ve = White/Blue

Production before 2001:

Left +ve = White

Left -ve = Black

Right +ve = Red

Right -ve = Grey

When connecting to an RCA or 3.5mm lead, the RCA shield connects to the Ground or both -ve signals

The left (usually white) and right (usually red) connect to the respective +ve wires.

Maybe mine sounds bad because there has already been a DVD player installed in the boot which I can watch on the TV by selecting AV? It must have been wired into the same AV In circuit somewhere in the panels of the car.

My other option is a tape adapter, but Ive been told they dont have very good sound quality.

That's an AV IN and AV OUT for connecting DVD, Video, iPod Video etc

I had my iPod connected to it and the sound quality was fantastic.

Bear in mind it is only mono sound (limitation of the VDO Video Module used in the BMW system) but it works well.

Awesome thanks for that Jochen. Do you think I am best to splice the cables in the boot near the cd changer, or behind the head unit? I would like to route the cable for the Ipod either in the glovebox or the centre console.

The cable runs from the headunit to the CD changer, you can choose to tap into the cable whereever you want.

Personally, if you are going to have the ipod cable in the front of the car, I'd remove the headunit and tap into the cables there.

You own a nice vehicle which you no doubt paid a fair bit of coin for. Why wouldnt you use a setup like Dice that Yuen recommended? Clean, simple installation that shows the artists, track names and playlists that are being played on your factory stereo. And under $200 is cheap considering the vehicle you own!

I see your point, but from what I have seen on Dension's website, YouTube and various other forums, the interface provided by the DICE is not that great, and alot of people seem to revert to using the Ipod directly instead. The Ipod has a bloody good interface, is easy to use, and I rarely need to skip songs anyway, as I have already selected all the songs on it to only be songs I like. I generally choose a playlist to suit my mood before I even back out of the driveway, and then for the entire trip, Im happy with what I have chosen.

You own a nice vehicle which you no doubt paid a fair bit of coin for. Why wouldnt you use a setup like Dice that Yuen recommended? Clean, simple installation that shows the artists, track names and playlists that are being played on your factory stereo. And under $200 is cheap considering the vehicle you own!