Sign in to follow this  
Jeddy

Price for lowering e30

When i was at Mag and Turbo today i asked about springs for the e30. They said it would be $600 for the springs fitment and to shorten the shocks to keep the springs captive.

Also they said tyres for some 16x7's would be about 550-600

Are these reasonable prices?

Depends on the brand of springs for a start, but yeah that's probably reasonable. If you want to cut a little of the cost, it is a straight forward and easy job to do the rear shocks yourself, and also the springs if you have a helper. I did my shocks and springs on the rear and got the garage to do the fronts as I didn't have a spring compressor for the struts.

you can get a set of jamex springs for $299 off trademe from their store with free shipping

thought that was a good deal!

you can get a set of jamex springs for $299 off trademe from their store with free shipping

thought that was a good deal!

That is pretty good

Also just been reading this

$50 a pair not to bad, anyone know where in Chch to do it?

The $600 included i think a wheel alignment so thinking it seems about the same whether they do it or a buy the stuff myself without the hassle tho.

It sounds like a good deal, when I called them about 1 1/2 years ago, it was $600, but that was just $400 for the springs, and $200 for the installation.

I think the use king springs, I have no experience with these, but isn't what they use for the race series?

So must be of some quality.

I didn't need to shorten my shocks when I put in 60mm springs in the front and 40mm in the rear. Both were captive. Thats only speaking from the legal side of things, there are much better alternatives out there for optium handling, my setup was still much more fun than stock though

that was about 4 years ago and the front shocks (stock) are starting to feel their age now, so I'm changing them out.

I could actually sell you my boge (OEM) sports shocks though, held 40mm rear springs captive. Nothing wrong with them just brought a whole new set.

I didn't need to shorten my shocks when I put in 60mm springs in the front and 40mm in the rear. Both were captive. Thats only speaking from the legal side of things, there are much better alternatives out there for optium handling, my setup was still much more fun than stock though

that was about 4 years ago and the front shocks (stock) are starting to feel their age now, so I'm changing them out.

I could actually sell you my boge (OEM) sports shocks though, held 40mm rear springs captive. Nothing wrong with them just brought a whole new set.

i think i'd be getting 60mm

He said rears were fine just fronts would need shortening

Just out of interest, who did you talk to?

The manager dude, Hayden...something

whys that

Edited by jeddy

I 'sorta' know a couple of people who work there. Don't know him tho.

St Asaph store?

i think i'd be getting 60mm

He said rears were fine just fronts would need shortening

60mm is really low in the back, I ran than and didn't like it so went to a 40mm drop in the rear.

I'd be surprised if the rears didn't need shortening at 60mm either, they'd be pretty borderline from memory. (few years back now)

I 'sorta' know a couple of people who work there. Don't know him tho.

St Asaph store?

yea, he said he'd work out a deal so i'll see what he says tomorrow and post up about it

60mm sounds too much to me?

Really, the gap between my rear tyre and guard is 80mm and about 90mm up front.

60mm wont have issues with height will it?

The problem is that the guards at the rear of the e30 are lower than the front. This gives the illusion of 'gangsta lean' or a rearward rake. So many people prefer to lower them 60/40.

No idea if there's any physics behind the reasoning, but is my understanding of it.

The problem is that the guards at the rear of the e30 are lower than the front. This gives the illusion of 'gangsta lean' or a rearward rake. So many people prefer to lower them 60/40.

No idea if there's any physics behind the reasoning, but is my understanding of it.

Well if i do that i can stop wearing this bandana.

Ok thats fair enough, ill get M&T to sort it so it looks good

Posted Image

^ very old pic - time for a new photoshoot but thats 60/40

as antony said the guards are lower so a 60/40 looks more even.

its also much more practical. less of every downside to lowering - policemen, both sleeping and otherwise, less tyre wear, more travel etc

Edited by Mike

I foolishly forgot to mention I was just talking about my own tastes :P haha my mistake!

I'm just curious to see how it looks

Believe me i don't want it looking like this

Linkage to low e30's

post-2334-1207131006_thumb.jpg

i did my car 60 40 and im really happy with the look its just right, not stupidly low and not to high in the front. i have koni adjustables and they didnt need shortining front or back and i installed them myself

Talk to Keith our Forum Suspension sponsor… He really knows his stuff and can offer you some quality German/Dutch made springs for often bugger all more than Jamex/King's.

He was a big help when it came to lowering my wagon!

Account for a wheel alignment also.. Im guessing M&T include that in the $600.00.

PS… Im not sure what mine has come down I have 40mm E30 in the front and 30-35mm E36 in the back. I should have measured.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Apex

I lowered my old E30 60/40, springs are all captive and had no problems at all. As mentioned go H&R or jamex, both are European made, so are cold wound which is much more preferable to kings/Dobi etc which are hot wound

Apex, Your e30 wagon is MINT!

Agreed, looks very nice.

^_^ Chucks, thanks guys.

I just wish it was as pretty mechanically! She’s not happy.

I just wish it was as pretty mechanically! She’s not happy.

Do I sense a 2.7 swap?