Sign in to follow this  
cammy83

Is it worth using Ethos Fuel Reformulator in BMW Engine?

Hey guys

Can you please let me know whether it's worth using Ethos Fuel Reformulator in the BMW engine to help save petrol consumption?

I have a friend who sells those and there is information about the product on http://www.ethosfr.com/ but i thought i'd check with you guys and see if it's good enough, and hear what your opinions before considering buying one this weekend.

Hope to hear your comments soon!

Personally....I'd buy a box of Lion Red and stay at home to save petrol before I bought this.

If you believe all the claims these products have. Go to Repco...buy everything that saves petrol.....put it in your tank and everytime you go past a petrol station you might have to stop and empty your tank.

Edited by botanymotorworx

You drive a 318TI.. How thirsty is it? Really??

I believe the best ways to save fuel are to always fill your tank, don't top it up, accelerate and decelerate smoothly, use AC as little as possible, and warm your car up before you drive..

If you reeeeeeealy want to save fuel read this site: http://www.eeca.govt.nz/transport/fuel-saving-tips.html

My 318 Ti with the M44 in it did 500km to a tank of gas

After the conversion with the M52B28 it does 460kn to a tank ....and its auto

Personally....I'd buy a box of Lion Red and stay at home to save petrol before I bought this.

If you believe all the claims these products have. Go to Repco...buy everything that saves petrol.....put it in your tank and everytime you go past a petrol station you might have to stop and empty your tank.

Better yet, buy me the box of beer :D

...to always fill your tank, don't top it up

What do you mean by this? Should we brim the tank every time instead of $10/20 at a time?

My 318 Ti with the M44 in it did 500km to a tank of gas

After the conversion with the M52B28 it does 460kn to a tank ....and its auto

Was that with similar driving style, or more spirited driving with the M52B28?

Topping up the tank is debatable. A full tank is going to weigh more than half a tank. It depends if you go past petrol stations often or not. If they are out of the way then perhaps filling it to the brim would be more economical.

Also, If you are letting your car warm up stationary - you will be using x litres of petrol per 0 km. Just drive the car. (Says so in the BMW manual too!)

Also, If you are letting your car warm up stationary - you will be using x litres of petrol per 0 km. Just drive the car. (Says so in the BMW manual too!)

+1 .... spotted that in the manual too. My 540i runs shite when it is cold, but the manual says not to let it warm up in the garage :)

Topping up the tank is debatable. A full tank is going to weigh more than half a tank. It depends if you go past petrol stations often or not. If they are out of the way then perhaps filling it to the brim would be more economical.

Up to 80% of entire engine wear occurs in the first 10minutes of driving, and yes youre right, start the engine and drive it gently for the first 10 or so minutes.

But its my own personal preference to warm it up for 5minutes, and warm is down also for 5minutes. Im young, and i like to give it a floor now and then, so i care for her as much as i can. I know shes care for me too :)

Up to 80% of entire engine wear occurs in the first 10minutes of driving, and yes youre right, start the engine and drive it gently for the first 10 or so minutes.

But its my own personal preference to warm it up for 5minutes, and warm is down also for 5minutes. Im young, and i like to give it a floor now and then, so i care for her as much as i can. I know shes care for me too :)

if your car is suitable use synthetic oil .Dont sit there warming it up.This is not necesary.You dont acheive anything,just drive her carefully until it is at the proper temp.Use the minimum oil viscosity,then it pumps as soon as your engine starts,this is when almost all the wear occurs,the first few seconds of running with virtually no oil pressure.Warm Down?only required with a turbo.You can still floor it,just not in the first few minutes.

I never detour for petrol i drive past a couple odf stations every day,and run my tank from full to empty.

Edited by kiwi535

if your car is suitable use synthetic oil .Dont sit there warming it up.This is not necesary.You dont acheive anything,just drive her carefully until it is at the proper temp.Use the minimum oil viscosity,then it pumps as soon as your engine starts,this is when almost all the wear occurs,the first few seconds of running with virtually no oil pressure.Warm Down?only required with a turbo.You can still floor it,just not in the first few minutes.

I never detour for petrol i drive past a couple odf stations every day,and run my tank from full to empty.

Like i said, my personal preference. But thanks for your opinion.

I agree with Paul. Probably some benefits to be had if you warm the car up before moving off, but by how much? That is the question. I drive once I start the car up, but I don't rev it when it's still cold. It gets to operating temperature quickly enough.

As for warming down, I don't think that's necessary for your car. Even if you wanted to do it... 5 minutes is overkill. Even turbo cars that I've seen don't warm down for 5 minutes. Only creates unnecessary pollution and wasting your money... IMO :)

As for warming down, I don't think that's necessary for your car. Even if you wanted to do it... 5 minutes is overkill. Even turbo cars that I've seen don't warm down for 5 minutes. Only creates unnecessary pollution and wasting your money... IMO :)

Yah, gotta admit 5 mins is an exaduration. I usually pull up, close my sunroof, wind up all the windows, grab what i need from centre console, turn stereo off, check lights are off, check obc. Then turn it off.. Probably more like a minute

even with modern turbo engines (late 80's up) its uneccessary to 'cool the engine down'. Enough oil and coolant is supplied to the turbo that if the engine is shut off instantly after a hard run, the bearings in the turbo are still lubricated enough for it to spool down safely without damage. You'd probably increase fuel consumption warming up and cooling down the engine going no where.

on topic yo.. This thread is about what can SAVE you fuel.. not my personal preferences ay

On topic ninja says.. on topic! :ph34r: