Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

BMW X5 V8

Who's got one?

Just trying to do a bit of research here, interested to know if they have cambelts or are chaindriven? Also, does anyone know what to look for on them i.e common faults, issues.

I'm looking into getting a X5 4.4V8 Sportpac 2000-2003 model & under 100,000km

Helfen :)

Did you read your other thread where I put in the link to scanned BMWCar X5 article?

It's chain driven. Will be the same issues all over for BMW v8 of that engine type.

Did you read your other thread where I put in the link to scanned BMWCar X5 article?

It's chain driven. Will be the same issues all over for BMW v8 of that engine type.

No sorry 318 where was that again mate?

Christ...

With age I'm going blind, even @ 26 lol

Well Ive got a 2000 X5 4.4i but Ive only had it a few weeks so cant give much advice yet sorry! Ive done about 3000km in it so far, and the trip computer is showing that I have averaged 13.7 litres/100km so far.

When I was shopping around, it seemed to be the interior that suffered from high milage rather than the engine and transmission. Broken speaker grills, scratched kick panels, rips in leather seats etc. Shop around, you will defintely find one without all these problems for the right price, and the dealers are bringing more into the country all the time.

Mechanically the only things I found ( I test drove about 12 X5's) were ticking sounds from the engine, bad tracking (wheel alignment) and one had a small amount of oil leaking from the valve covers.

The dealers will tell you that they sell quickly, and the good ones do. There are some for sale on Trademe now that have been there since I started looking (December 2007) so those are the ones to avoid :-)

I was told to make sure the transmission changes smoothly, and try and avoid getting anything that has been accident daamaged

Don't mean to poo poo the bmw brand, but if you are seriously looking at a luxury 4 x 4 I suggest you have a look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee (if you havn't already). I compared them both a few years ago and ended up getting a jeep. The top end jeep model rang rings around the X5 and at half the price, from the interior space and leather finish to handling on and off road not to mention fuel consumption. Now with the new Hemi engine it's even better I think. The jeep beat the X5 and Range Rover as top lux 4x4 the last few years running.

Anyway this is only my humble opinion.

There is a very cheap NZ New '01 V8 Sportpac coming up at Turners

http://www.turners.co.nz/TabId/188/vguid/A...13/default.aspx

110kms, but NZ new... If you could own it for less than $30k, it would be one of the best value in NZ.

As for the Grand Cherokee comment, they are good value but quite a different vehicle. The new model (WH) is a much better bet than the old model and come with either the silky Benz V6 Diesel or 5.7 Hemi V8...

I'll throw a spanner in the works here.

I drove the 3.0i 6 Petrol & the 4.4i V8 and I'm sad to report that I didn't like it. I did however like the 3.0d which I found to actually go better than both the 6 and V8! Especially between 80kph & 140kph! However, I couldn't afford to jump up to 60k for a 4x4

Co-incidentally the E60 is sold :( and I pickup my new ride which is lol lol lol..... a 2005 Volkswagen Touareg. I drove them all, Range Rover, X5 (all in the 40-50k price bracket & the Touareg made the most sense, it had IMO the better ride, better performance and I can't at the moment give justice to feeding a V8, not with petrol prices getting worse. The V6 won't be an angel but then again, it will perhaps be easyer to sell.

The Touareg has a 3500kg tow capacity, 10 airbags, all the gear & will serve us well for the coming winter months. BMWPower & Happie will know what it's like living in Dunedin with the winter we had last year and FYI I live on the highest streets in Dunedin (Halfway Bush)

Here's a pic of her anyways which I pickup from Lyttelton on the 19th! - Not to worry, I'm still hunting a decent E30!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can't believe you already sold the E60... shortest car ownership on Bimmersport? :lol: Congrats on the Touareg, it looks nice. You haven't test driven the car you're buying? Will you be the first owner in NZ?

Btw, I saw an X5 yesterday, must have been a V8 - giving out this feral growl. I think it was decatted and possibly more, man it sounded good and the sound really suits the looks.

I can't believe you already sold the E60... shortest car ownership on Bimmersport? :lol: Congrats on the Touareg, it looks nice. You haven't test driven the car you're buying? Will you be the first owner in NZ?

Btw, I saw an X5 yesterday, must have been a V8 - giving out this feral growl. I think it was decatted and possibly more, man it sounded good and the sound really suits the looks.

Yeah they do sound very good even with a little amount of money spent on the exhaust systems. I'm happy with the choice of the Touareg. I'm to be the first owner in NZ, have a guarantee in writing saying if I'm not happy with the unit it is straight back on the boat and back to Auckland.

I have driven two down here in Dunedin and are happy with the way they drive, well, more than happy! So I know what to expect :)

Forgot to add Jeremy...

I had a mate of mine foward that link to me. Not bad, not bad at all! The interior however makes my eyes bleed, needs to be black!

Turners always seem to have fees 3 ways from Sunday which puts me off. They barely disclose them & I found myself having to ask for them when I bought a car a few years back. It also puts me off when they have phone bidders. Infact it gives me the shits!

I'm sure Andrew has had shorter car ownership than that.

Congratulations on the new car too. The Towrag isn't a bad choice.

t also puts me off when they have phone bidders. Infact it gives me the shits!

All part of the excitement!

I can't believe you already sold the E60... shortest car ownership on Bimmersport? :lol:

Negative ... Andrew holds that one several times over :P

Haha, I haven't been paying enough attention. Sounds good Deeveus, btw hope we'll still see you around Bimmersport even though you no longer own a Bimmer.

Haha, I haven't been paying enough attention. Sounds good Deeveus, btw hope we'll still see you around Bimmersport even though you no longer own a Bimmer.

Without fail.

Still looking for a nice well priced E30 & when I get one would be keen on doing an outing or two with the Dunedin club.

Without fail.

Still looking for a nice well priced E30 & when I get one would be keen on doing an outing or two with the Dunedin club.

I have a 1990 SA built 325i for sale. Only 98k kms, no rust, no dents, leather interior, electric everything, cruise, aircon, new suspension, send me a PM if your interested :)

which company did you get the tourag from? it looks nice

Cheers. Looking at spending 2k ish on a nice E30 & local if possible.

Got the Tow Rag from a crowd up in Auckland.

Congrats on the TowRag, its a good choice, I tried a few before I got the X5, in the end it came down to wanting the V8 (TowRag V8 still too expensive).

Towrag V10 Diesel will hopefully be my next car to replace the X5.

Nice. Yeah the V8's are coming down in price. From what I've gathered the V6 is silky smooth & pretty quiet. V10TDi are still 95-100k lol, twice my budget. Not sure how they are a whole twice the price of a 3.2V6!!!!!

Nice. Yeah the V8's are coming down in price. From what I've gathered the V6 is silky smooth & pretty quiet. V10TDi are still 95-100k lol, twice my budget. Not sure how they are a whole twice the price of a 3.2V6!!!!!

cos they have got twice as much torque!

quote Jeremy Clarkson" if the world ever stops turning the Toureg will get it started again....orr something like that :)