Sign in to follow this  
Markq

BUGGER!

Driving out tonight, I had some suspicious smoke coming out from under the bonnet. Temp was showing fine in the middle, not engine warnings, so pulled over to have a peek (cause I'm such a good mechanic, not), opening the bonnet, smoke was coming from left hand side near firewall. Looked under car and green fluid (radiator i assumed), then I started to panic, as I gave her a burst out onto the motorway, maybe I overdid it?? cooked the engine? noooo!!!!

Anyway, radiators empty, still starts and runs smooth. Assuming this is just a hose of some sort and looking for reassuring words please.....

Either you got a blight light now- or wait till morning... :o

most likely just a hose- particulalry connecting to radiator itself- could have a sheered rhose mount on radiator.

New hose- cheap and easy, new radiator= easy but not that much $

i would assume its a hose and or heater valves/pump(does the e39 use the same system as the e34).If the temp didnt show as hot i would say you havent done any damage.... yet....I think I saw you a week or two ago,just south of the traffic lights at Jville railway bridge,at around 5pm

Either you got a blight light now- or wait till morning... :o

most likely just a hose- particulalry connecting to radiator itself- could have a sheered rhose mount on radiator.

New hose- cheap and easy, new radiator= easy but not that much $

Yeah, I've had a look around the radiator. It doesnt seem to be a hose connected to that. It seems to be around the back of the engine. Theres some hoses that go around where the gearbox and motor join. Is the a cooling related hose round there??

i would assume its a hose and or heater valves/pump(does the e39 use the same system as the e34).If the temp didnt show as hot i would say you havent done any damage.... yet....I think I saw you a week or two ago,just south of the traffic lights at Jville railway bridge,at around 5pm

That'd be me. Always around Jville, although I dont live there!!

Hoses off the radiator look ok. The green water was behind the fron left wheel

Guest Simon*

Mate I was about to jump in and ask like Paul if the E39 like the E34 has the heater unit on the passenger side of the firewall. Because that's what it sounds like to me - the valves or a hose has given out and pumped the radiator contents all over the place. Has happened to me ;)

I'm sure it'll be ok either way. You can bypass the heater (if that's at fault) without too much difficulty and drive happily without having to worry about losing coolant.

Good luck!

Edited by Simon*

Mate I was about to jump in and ask like Paul if the E39 like the E34 has the heater unit on the passenger side of the firewall. Because that's what it sounds like to me - the valves or a hose has given out and pumped the radiator contents all over the place. Has happened to me ;)

I'm sure it'll be ok either way. You can bypass the heater (if that's at fault) without too much difficulty and drive happily without haveing to worry about losing coolant.

Good luck!

Being no mechanical genius, can I just say................................Ke?

does the radiator fluid run through the heater?

I'm sure it'll be ok either way. You can bypass the heater (if that's at fault) without too much difficulty and drive happily without having to worry about losing coolant.

Good luck!

Was it expensive to repair??

Guest Simon*

Being no mechanical genius, can I just say................................Ke?

does the radiator fluid run through the heater?

:) No worries I'm not much of one either - but I'm becoming an expert on the stuff that goes wrong for me!

Hot water from the cooling/radiator system is diverted through the heater setup to provide .... heat :)

Have a look on real oem at your E39 and check out the cooling/heater circuit - you'll start to get what I mean

Outta my depth here- don't know the 39 layout myself. Had a quick look on realoem.com

for cooling system diagram but could not see anything water related around that area of engine

See:Cooling system

Guest Simon*

Was it expensive to repair??

Nope :)

You can block the heater tube off and ignore it for a while if need be.

If the heater is the problem you can just replace the whole unit (at least in the E34 you can). I got another one off Ray no probs. Old one unbolts, new one bolts on, replace all hoses, refill and prime radiator and away you go.

:) No worries I'm not much of one either - but I'm becoming an expert on the stuff that goes wrong for me!

Hot water from the cooling/radiator system is diverted through the heater setup to provide .... heat :)

Have a look on real oem at your E39 and check out the cooling/heater circuit - you'll start to get what I mean

Even with the heater turned off? Will have a nosey, cheers

Mate I'm talking a lot here - hope it is the heater or I'm a goat eh ;)

LOL Mmmmaaaaaaaaa!!

Dont worry Simon*, enjoying seeing your signiture pic anyways

Guest Simon*

Cheers

Me too! ;)

Hey, dont even think about driving it until you've found the problem.

[ You are better off,to park it up for 1-2 days, instead of 1-2 months with a "heat siezed engine" ]

If you need to use it, block off [ bypass the heater ] and remember you've got to bleed the air from the cooling system.

the 5 series guys can help you here

Ditto to that!

[ You are better off,to park it up for 1-2 days, instead of 1-2 months with a "heat siezed engine" ]

If you need to use it, block off [ bypass the heater ] and remember you've got to bleed the air from the cooling system.

Cheers. Its parked at BMW. I'll leave it to the pros.

Engine not seized. Starts fine. Not running it though, just enough to put it in truck. was coolish by the time he got there.

Guest Simon*

LOL Mmmmaaaaaaaaa!!

Haha cheers

Yes, heater on or off that hot water is running through there - won't affect it failing

I've chimed in here because your symptoms are similar to mine. I had coolant pooling down that front left side of the engine bay.

You live pretty close to bmw place then. All good. As kerrynzl said better to be safe.

When you know problem shout out and lets know

Haha cheers

Yes, heater on or off that hot water is running through there - won't affect it failing

I've chimed in here because your symptoms are similar to mine. I had coolant pooling down that front left side of the engine bay.

Yeah, sounds the same. Hope it is, as I aint feelin the $$$$$ at the mo.

You live pretty close to bmw place then. All good. As kerrynzl said better to be safe.

When you know problem shout out and lets know

Yeah, Jeff Grays is pretty much my neighbour. Moved closer to them as I seemed to be there all the time. Next step is to have my salary paid to them!! Nah, its not that bad. Cars there now, will wander in first thing tomorrow.

Will let ya know

the e34 heater/valve/pump system

the e39 heater.valve pump system

not such a nightmare of hoses etc,but similar and situated in about the same place in the car(back right of engine)looking from front