Sign in to follow this  
cainchapman

Diesels, anything I need to know?

I have currently got a VW Passat Variant 125kW TDi DSG for a test-drive, as I may look at replacing the Territory with this.

It seems quite nice, pulls like a school boy and is economical. I have to hand it back early tomorrow, so I might have to do a dawn drive out to Maraitai/Clevedon on my way back to Conti's to see how it handles. The drive in rush-hour down Remuera rd doesn't really show how it corners.

As I've never owned a Diesel, is there anything I need to consider?

Feel free to comment!!!

If you feel the need to chip them you get alot of HP.

Haha, so I've heard. It'll be a company car though.

Anyone work for a lease company? I'm guessing it would come out between $1200 and $1300 per month on a fully maintained 3 yr, 100,000km lease. If so, even at $300 per month more than the Territory. It works out cost neutral.

consider road user charges(about 33 dollars every 1000 kays(and up to a 10 dollar fee everytime you need some more).Maintenance may also be more than petrol cars.And deisel stinks,and every well used pump will have deisel all over the ground around it.

However as you say the torque is addictive and the turbo surge is fun.If i owned one i would seriously consider having a glove or similar to keep the &^%$ of my hands,i dislike the smell so much.Drove a little Hyundai getz 1.5 deisel,very impressive,and amazing economy figure...4.5 l 100 ks and available in manual!

Haha, so I've heard. It'll be a company car though.

Anyone work for a lease company? I'm guessing it would come out between $1200 and $1300 per month on a fully maintained 3 yr, 100,000km lease. If so, even at $300 per month more than the Territory. It works out cost neutral.

I'm guessing you need the space in the Passat? Otherwise why not 120d, or 118d?

I've driven both Passat and 118d, I'm more impressed with the 118d. FBT should also come put cheaper with the 118d, unless you start piling up the options :rolleyes:

Let's put it this way, my wife thinks the 540 is a "small" car.

I took it for a strop this morning out to Whitford, Brookby, Manukau and then back via the motorway to Newmarket. I was quite impressed with the power of the car. The DSG is still as good as I remember. It felt like it lacked punch accelerating from 100kph, but it actually accumulated speed well. And was still pulling (and quietly) as I hit a ton. Cruise control worked well on hills, cornered well and was doing 6l/100km at a shown 110kph on the cruise control on SH1.

Pretty well optioned, I think the only thing I'd like is the I-Pod prep, maybe foglights (as I do go to the Waikato often).

FBT, not my concern again. (is it? Work pay that too).

I stopped at Alfa to have a look at the Sportwagon. They are on drugs when it comes to the pricing. $69,990 for the 2.4l diesel. As far as options go, it's got leather ($4,000 option in VW), so where do they justify the remainder of the $11,000? A little for style and character sure. But really. I love Italian cars, but I wouldn't spend my own money on that, so I won't ask work to.

If 540 is small, then 1 series is 'tiny'...

Alfa's trying hard to be on the same par as BMW, styling and flair all good, still have to catch up on quality though.

Yep work pays for FBT as well.

The 135d will still be a matchbox sized car (although close to the Passat in $), the 3 series starts at $90k, so 50% dearer than the Passat. It'd need to come with a boot load of gold bars for me to even consider it.

Keep them coming though.

Edited by Cain

X5 diesel? Your wife can't say they're tiny haha.

No, a free X5 would be nice. Absolutely no chance that work will pay for one of those.

She likes the Territory. I was surprised that she didn't jump at the Passat. It's much better appointed than the Ford (no surprise there).

She did like the torque of it though. As I drive the thing half of the time around Tamaki Drive and drive it only as far as Taupo (although Tauranga and Te Awamutu is as far as I've been), I don't want a manual (it makes it hard to drink my coffee). Hence the selection of VW as they are the only group (outside of Alfa/Maserati/Ferrari) that have some form of robotised manual. So when I want to drive it properly, I can. Otherwise, I slap it in D and leave it to it. Plus you get the drive characteristics and economy of a manual (because it is) and the laziness of the Auto when required.

The rest of the year, I fly and have rentals.

I did look at the Mondeo (nice car) and it's diesel option coming. But it would be perceived as a backward step going from a Territory to a Mondeo (and I don't want to ask for a pay cut, which is effectively what it would be).

I already have a small car (Civic) and I would replace it for the New Fiat 500 which landed 8 days ago and I had a look at the importer before they hit the road. Overpriced (like the Mini) but cool (like the Mini), they'll sell well.

I am looking for balance in the garage. So the Civic, 5 series and a Territory do most things I need.

O.k fair enough, those 500's do look very cool...

There is a huge waiting list for the Mondeo Diesel anyway...

If you are looking at a Passat, you should seriously have a gander at Skoda's too. An Octavia vRS TDI is a fantastic car, also great value at $52k.

Also it may pay to wait and check out the Jap stuff. The diesel Legacy Outback isn't too far away and the word on the street is that Toyata a bringing in a swag of diesels soon.

And, now for something completely different... Chrysler 300C CRD Touring. Bad boy looks with the stunning 165kw Benz 3.0 V6 diesel.

Whilst sitting on the waterfront today. I took my last copy of NZ Autocar and looked through the cars, I thought were suitable. The 300C Touring diesel would be nice. But it is a lot more expensive and an auto too. I looked at the vRS TDi too, but it is a bit like asking for a down-grade (it is an excellent car), that would be my next choice if the Passat got rejected.

However, if I get a no from the VW request, I'll stick with the Territory. It's a 7 seater which is great for taking customers for a short drive to the pub and abandoning the car too. I need to get the new car in the first week in May, so waiting is out of the option.

The Citroen C5 HDi touring could be suitable, but doesn't look like a company car in my opinion. It falls in with the Honda Odyssey as looking like a private school bus.

As a peugeot mechanic i can say that the C5 estate is a very large car on the inside as is the 407 estate, 407 looks a lot better in my opinion, also you can get the 407 in a 2.7l V6 twin turbo diesel that just absolutly flies!

Edited by Greg111

I agree with you Greg. However, they are just too different for me to be a company car.

So Conti's came back with $1520 per month for a lease on the Passat. I have called them back and told them they are dreaming. I guess it just prives that none of the European car manufacturers are serious about the corporate lease market. Ford's discount is much better. Having 1600 cars on the road within our group. You'd think they be keen to get the business from their competitors. For the record, that is 50% more than the Ford.

So I guess it's a new Territory for me. At least I tried.

But of course you would disagree though, it's in your nature!

Just had the VW signed off by the boss. Now to cancel the Ford order.

Let's hope I've made the right choice.

Why diesel for a company car? I would've thought having the company pay for the cost of petrol, something like the R36 would have been better?

Glad you got the car you wanted. :)

I would've asked for the Range Rover sport TDV8 :D 660NM!!

its not just the money to go in the tank..modern deisels are very torquey and have real punch right where you need it,are almost indistinguishable form their petrol counterparts.

Hey man put some pics up of the new ride when yu get it.