Sign in to follow this  
petone

WTB: Rear Lowering Springs

Hi all, after some springs to drop the car 20mm. Only need the back ones. Have a look at my car in the pics and you'll see why I want to change them. Who make springs for a 20mm drop and who sells them. I'd prefer second hand but i'll buy new if I have to.

Guest Andrew

Hi all, after some springs to drop the car 20mm. Only need the back ones. Have a look at my car in the pics and you'll see why I want to change them. Who make springs for a 20mm drop and who sells them. I'd prefer second hand but i'll buy new if I have to.

I'm not sure if there are any - thats not even really a drop.

A good set of springs - for all round is the Jamex 40 mm progressive spring rate springs.. relatively cheap .. $400 ish?

The main thing is a decent set of shocks though - not the stock ones!

Is there anything else that could cause the massive camber on the back wheels? Have a look at the welly meet pics and you see what i mean. There are springs that drop it 30mm in there at the moment and the camber is just too much. How else could i fix this problem? (Without anything drastic of course)

20mm ain't much of a drop, you could do the cheap heat compression on some stock springs...

The main thing is a decent set of shocks though - not the stock ones!

Andy's right, and Gus swears by this, you need good shocks!!!

bent rear trailing arms and subframe? i know mine was and possibly still is to some degree....the only way is replacement....bear in mind that car weight plays a big part....i have same springs as andy (albeit he has bilsteins) and his car has about a degree less rear camber...purely because his car is lighter so rides higher...stock shocks and lowering springs kinda sucks...leave it 4x4 till you can afford to do both would be my recommendation (having been there)

Rear trailing arms, Glenn may have some spare from his E30 cause I think he replaced all his from an E36 to do the stud conversion......

Guest Andrew

petone: those are not 30 mm springs you have there. To me.. that kind of camber is caused after the car has had an accident.. has 60mm lowering springs .. and shocks that are 20 years old.

i.e thats what gus' car looked like.

If you jack the rear of the car up - can you pull the rear springs out with your hand and no spring compressor?

Guest Andrew

since my e30 is in the garage.. this is what correct rear camber should be on the e30 even after lowering.

This is -1.6deg rear - pretty much the same as stock. After a drop.

post-12-1089151262.jpg

FYI - Here's the rear view...god damn that's bad ass

Posted Image

Guest Andrew

and i run this setup - Jamex 40 mm progressive with Bilstien Sport shocks. I have a set of urethane bushes for the rear - will get them in next week.

For comparison maybe gus could post a similar pic of one of his rear wheels showing how low the car goes with incorrect shocks.

post-12-1089151421.jpg

Guest Andrew

Rear trailing arms, Glenn may have some spare from his E30 cause I think he replaced all his from an E36 to do the stud conversion......

he ain't have glenn's dammit.. there are people with more need :D

Guest Andrew

Andy's right, and Gus swears by this, you need good shocks!!!

Well the difference between mine and gus' car is huge.. mine handles so much better .. when you get into a slide situation his is somewhat wild and uncontrolled whereas mine is smooth and very easy to control. The stock shocks just can't keep the wheels on the ground properly.

The camber was normal before i lowered it so i think that would rule out a bent subframe or trailing arms. As far as i know the shock are still original in the back, getting replaced soon hopefully. Unless there was a mix up with the springs I got 30mm one in there, and they are captive, I have to unbolt the shocks to get them out. Is it possible to buy aftermarket springs that have the same height but just stiffer?

Just out of curiousity, given the spring rate of the Jamex or King sprigns is higher than the stock springs, does using the higher spring rate with stock shocks have a negative effect on handling???

I don't think so, I got new stock shocks in the front and old old one in the back and i can go round corners faster than i could before. The front end grip is real good, so much more than before. The problem is in the back for me, I have lost so much grip in the back compared with my standard springs and shock. Who do you guys get all you jamex springs off?

I'd suggest getting your new shocks in first then see what happens before worrying about the springs...

the thing with stock shocks with lower (usually firmer springs) is that the shock cannot control the extra force being applied when the car moves...so the car bounces...this bouncing (like my car) unsettles the car greatly going round corners.....the difference is very noticeable going sideways...mine snaps back into line a lot quicker than andys...being his his sorta glides back into line very easily....brand new stock shocks will feel good...but the thing is that using lower springs f**ks them up....after another 6 months you will be bouncing again i imagine....ask andy his 320 ones were good at first (very little bounce) but then they started bouncing after a couple of months

Gus, would you then say that there is a *best* setting for matching the shocks to the springs??? How would you know when you've got the shocks too hard or too soft??? :wacko:

I get what you mean gus. I got pretty new front shock at the moment and they are fine at the moment. As well as the camber problem the rear of the car bounces on corners. So what are the shocks to go for then? Looks like new shocks and springs in the back.

(God dam money pit car :angry:)

i wouldnt worry about new springs....try new rear shocks and see how that goes..it might help the problem a lot....theres no real way to match shocks and springs yourself....bilsteins are a good general shock and go with a lot of springs...konis are adjustable so can be partially matched....basically as long as it doesnt bounce its good!

Is it possible that the shocks could reduce some of the camber? Will they raise the ride height at all? Also i have more trouble with lack of grip cos of the camber, bouncing isn't anywhere as big a problem

Guest Andrew

Is it possible that the shocks could reduce some of the camber? Will they raise the ride height at all? Also i have more trouble with lack of grip cos of the camber, bouncing isn't anywhere as big a problem

The ride height will increase somewhat -

The general theory is.. as the spring compresses the shock should compress at the same rate and control the compress - you don't however want a shock so firm that it does some of the spring action itself. The shock also has to do rebound damping (that is where the stock shocks don't work with lowering springs). Imagine just bouncing a spring.. it will keep on bouncing for ages - the shocks are meant to stop this movement and get the wheel back on the ground.

So let me see if this is right, in theory if you had adjustable shocks you wouldn't want to set them too firm so as the shock does the spring work, and not too soft so as the the car bounces ;)

So how does one find this zone?

So let me see if this is right, in theory if you had adjustable shocks you wouldn't want to set them too firm so as the shock does the spring work, and not too soft so as the the car bounces ;)

So how does one find this zone?

You got it!!

Trial and error with adjustable shocks would be your best bet.