Sign in to follow this  
keegan13

PAINTING 97 E36

Hey all,

Wanting to get my E36 colour coded. Like paint the plastic strips accross the doors the same colour of my car. And those plastic strips that go across the front and back bumpers (as they are all black and my car is blue).

Anybody know a good place to get them painted and roughly how much itill cost?

Cheers!

I've read this on another forum, so don't quote me on it... but apparently the gray on your bumpers/sills is actually a protectant that is sprayed over the original paint finish. This means that under that there is perfectly nice blue paint. Do a google search to look up the method for removing it. It may take a while but hey, your time is free compared to having it professionally painted at cost of $500-$1000.

I doubt very much that they would paint a car then put a gray protectant over it. Thats just crazy!

I had mine done a couple months ago. Paid $200 (mates rates) for the front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts.

It is normally around $750 to get done. Well worth it IMO

Cheers

Waaaaay too much reading there. So thats the side skirts done (if you like the Rangi look). Still need to paint the bumpers!

Do it once do it properly is my motto. Get the whole lot painted. Then its all going to match.

My 2c anyway

Funny thing about the sideskirts is, some people say they spend all that time removing the protective grey stuff and it turns out there's no paint underneath? :lol: Maybe not so funny if it was me.

If you're going to get the bumpers done anyway, I'd get a set of actual sideskirts and get those painted. You can choose between the facelift E36 style (they call it M3 Luxury package skirts in the US) or the M 'twisty' style.

Funny thing about the sideskirts is, some people say they spend all that time removing the protective grey stuff and it turns out there's no paint underneath? :lol: Maybe not so funny if it was me.

If you're going to get the bumpers done anyway, I'd get a set of actual sideskirts and get those painted. You can choose between the facelift E36 style (they call it M3 Luxury package skirts in the US) or the M 'twisty' style.

Hey all im causing a bit of confusion with this post. My sideskirts and bumpers are the same colour as the car already(blue). I was meaning the little strips that go horizontally (about a third of the way up) on all the doors and around the whole car. They are about 40mm wide roughly.

Sorry haha should of made it clearer.

Haha OK, totally different story then!

Those plastic strips are known as mouldings. I suggest you replace the stock door mouldings with the m-tech variant (see my sig) they look a lot cleaner and update the look of the E36. Once you've done that, you can paint all the mouldings, it shouldn't cost more than 300 dollars for the front, back and doors.

Good luck, I think it will make your car stand out!

EDIT: You say they're 40mm wide, so that means you prob already have the m-tech door mouldings! Whoops. :rolleyes:

Edited by gannetboy