Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Lights upgrade for a 2002 525i

Hiya, I'm about to purchase a 2002 525i. Only problem with it, is it has face-lifted yellow lights. Not clear. So I was wondering where I can purchase some clear ones from, and regarding the headlights, I really want xenon ones, can anyone recommend a place to get these?

Cheers :D

Hiya, I'm about to purchase a 2002 525i. Only problem with it, is it has face-lifted yellow lights. Not clear. So I was wondering where I can purchase some clear ones from, and regarding the headlights, I really want xenon ones, can anyone recommend a place to get these?

Cheers :D

Welcome. Yellow meaning the circular indicator cover is amber, right? I believe you'll need to buy a whole new headlight front lens that's clear - which probably isn't worth it.

Hi Avenged.SSE, How deep are your pockets, checking this out myself and if you want Xenons find a chair and sit down. As Yeun has mentioned you will have to replace both headlights complete plus add two ballasts to ignite the gas in the Xenon bulbs, mounting brackets etc, fit the the anti -glare components. This compensates for the upward /downward movement of the vehicle to avoid dazzling on coming vehicles. Some will say this is not need they may be right up to you to choose but most if not all cars fitted with factory Xenons have it. Next depending on the year of the vehicle you have it may come up with a warning on the dash that your lights are faulty. This is the computer doing it's check of circuits and as their is less resistance with Xenon than the conventional bulb in the circuit up pops this warning it can be over come by a resistor unit being added to the circuit, . Simple to do but just one more item to be added does not occur on all vehicles. Also they will have to be for a right hand drive vehicle for the correct dip pattern. Oh one more thing was advised about get a headlight washer kit fitted the reason escapes me at the moment.

You could fit a HID kit but check out the rules and regs on the Land Transport Safety web site first from memory they are illegal, others my prove me wrong on that or have bent the rules to suit , you will still have your amber indicators though, not what you wish I feel.If you want clears in the front you may wish to replace the rear tail lights also, you open up another can of worms with this as well.

If you still wish to proceed the price I was given was $1990.00 US dollar plus freight from a crowd in Germany for the headlights and tail lights etc. The high pressure washer kit was about $350 US I think.

Don't get me wrong it can be done but it is not a cheep exercise. If I may I would look at these items when you are about to buy. Hope this is of some help cheers Allan

Edited by allan

This is a personal thing it's up to you. When researching this myself I stuck with Hella the original manufacture of the lights for BMW and good quality but that comes at a price. You would have to see if they conform to NZ road laws, DOT, SAE, and any other standards required also are correct dip pattern, ballasts are of good quality etc.

The tail lights would be the same no doubt.

Personnel I shelved the idea, and would look at these items when I upgrade just my 2 cents

Cheers Allan

Edited by allan

Anything but factory genuine replacements may cause WOF failure

Landtransport Rules

I think also that the comment re washers is correct, I seem to remeber reading somewhere on the LTNZ site that HID units MUST have washers.

Heh sounds like I'd be better to avoid this car altogether, seems too much trouble to change the lights!

It's a learning experience mate take your time. Make a list of all the things you want the car to have and work from that. You only need to ask and some one will assist you ends up saving you time, money and heart ache in the long run cheers and good luck searching, it's half the fun.

Cheer Allan

Great advice Allan.

The aftermarket headlights and taillights you've posted should pass WOF in NZ (just check if they comply with the required lighting standards in NZ), I have seen the tail lights on E39s here and also seen the pre-facelift version of that headlight on a car here as well. I'd expect them to be inferior to original Hella in quality and performance. The headlights will look tacky on an E39, and the tail lights not so obvious to the average guy, but a BMW enthusiast will be able to tell they aren't original.

Re: Headlight washers, a HID headlight putting out so much light can cause significant glare to other drivers if the lens is dirty. But I also see a lot of cars without them, I don't know how strictly they enforce this rule.

It's not really a lot of trouble to change the lights - just $$... the stock halogens are pretty decent when clean, if they aren't something is amiss. If the headlights are going to make or break the purchase then I suspect the car isn't such a great deal anyway. If you think the car is a good one I wouldn't pass on it due to the headlights.

The car itself is not bad and the price is very reasonable, only problem is the lights I guess I do need to compromise somewhere though. What would I be looking at if I wanted to replace headlights, taillights & indicators with clear, non-xenon hella ones?

Also.. How would I know whether lights comply with NZ standards or not?

Edited by Avenged.SSE

The car itself is not bad and the price is very reasonable, only problem is the lights I guess I do need to compromise somewhere though. What would I be looking at if I wanted to replace headlights, taillights & indicators with clear, non-xenon hella ones?

Also.. How would I know whether lights comply with NZ standards or not?

You need to check with LTSA what standards they follow in NZ for vehicle lighting - I guess it's ECE? And see if the lights you're buying comply with those standards. Then you need to make sure the lights are RHD ones, otherwise you'll cause glare to oncoming drivers and won't light up road signs.

Price-wise... best to give the dealer or Hella a call, would be interesting to know how they're priced in NZ. Tail lights may be worth changing as the amber portion is quite obvious - headlights not so much as the facelift indicators are quite small, cost vs benefit doesn't really make sense IMHO. If you're set on changing to facelift headlights with clear indicators, I think you should go all the way and get facelift HID headlights with clear indicators.

This may seem like a stupid suggestion, but would sanding the orange bits do anything O.O? would the entire structure be orange or just the surface coating?

This is the car....

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/59/63835859_full.jpg

and

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/90/63835890_full.jpg

what do you guys think? I'm considering getting an AC Schnitzer kit for it once I get it, worth it or not?? there's a guy selling em on trademe!

I don't think it's a surface coating, looks like the actual plastic is orange - so sanding wouldn't make it clear. As for the kit, it's up to you really - would not buy fibreglass kits though.

i thought all post 2000 cars had the updated lights?

They are updated lights, however for some reason they decided to retain the amber indicators on headlights and the tail lights. Absolutely no idea why as they are crap in comparison to the totally clear ones imo. The majority of 2001+ 520s I was looking at had clear ones, wheres pretty much all the 2001+ 525s I was looking at had amber ones, bar one or two.

This was my biggest concern about the car, everything else seemed good, and I really don't want to settle for a 520, I want some more power.

They are updated lights, however for some reason they decided to retain the amber indicators on headlights and the tail lights. Absolutely no idea why as they are crap in comparison to the totally clear ones imo. The majority of 2001+ 520s I was looking at had clear ones, wheres pretty much all the 2001+ 525s I was looking at had amber ones, bar one or two.

This was my biggest concern about the car, everything else seemed good, and I really don't want to settle for a 520, I want some more power.

Im my opinion, the original headlights look good.

They are Hella, high quality, and work well.

They comply with all the legislations and will always pass a WOF

I cannot imagine why anyone would go to the trouble and expense of changing what is a perfectly good, original part.

You are better to put the money into proper maintenance, like worn control arm bushings, engine oil, replacing broken cup holders, etc.

Unless you are succumbing to peer pressure and fell a need to 'keep up with the Joneses'

I believe a car that is original is worth more than a car that has been mucked about with and is a mish-mash of cheap aftermarket low quality parts, and the original precision-engineered BMW equipment

I had a stock original 540i, and always used quality BMW parts. I knew it would last the distance, and when I sold it, the new owner appreciated the effort put into the maintenance of the vehicle. That added a lot of value, and translated into extra $$$ on the sales price.

I guess it's just down to personal preference. In regards to maintenance etc. I do have money set aside for that. I'm not looking to get extra money off the car. Cars depreciate ridiculously in price, on top of that, just the mere fact that its a BMW will translate into a lot of added costs for maintenance. I just want something that I like. In terms of money, I'd rather spend $16k and get a BMW that I'm ok with, and look at changing the lights opposed to buying one that has everything I want for $22k. Just need to compromise somewhere I guess. Just my two cents anyway!

My 530i has the ambers indicator set up and it's 02 rego seems to depend on what model classification and other goodies it has on board. Had a little look at it hope you don't mind is this the vehicle 2001 525i chassis GX 93484, prod month 11/2001, M54 engine 91,000km. Just check to see what country it has come from. If Singapore electronic component can be a problem due to climate conditions. Check what warranties are on offer with it if it's from their.

Cheers Allan

Edited by allan

i thought all post 2000 cars had the updated lights?

2001 onwards got the angel eyes.

As for amber vs clear, it depends on the country/year/model. IMHO, the amber angel eyes don't look bad at all, sure the clear looks a bit better but it's much less amber than some other BMWs, ie: E36, etc.

My 530i has the ambers indicator set up and it's 02 rego seems to depend on what model classification and other goodies it has on board. Had a little look at it hope you don't mind is this the vehicle 2001 525i chassis GX 93484, prod month 11/2001, M54 engine 91,000km. Just check to see what country it has come from. If Singapore electronic component can be a problem due to climate conditions. Check what warranties are on offer with it if it's from their.

Cheers Allan

Don't mind at all! Yeah that seems to be it. Although it is advertised on trademe as a 2002 O.O I guess its just because of when it was first registered. How does it look? I'm looking at paying 50% tomorrow, and the rest on arrival.

In regards to the lights, I've sorta accepted the front ones as is, mainly because of compliance hassles and pricing as well as cost:difference ratio :P. As for the tail lights I'm still going to have a look at getting some for a decent price. I read in the other topic that is possible to change that small orange bulb (indicator) in the headlights for a small fee to a clear one, but the platform was E46, would it still be possible to do on the E39?

Thanks a lot guys for all the help, very much appreciated :)

It's a 2002 model year car so it's advertised correctly - the 'production year' is 2001. Which other topic are you referring to?

It's a 2002 model year car so it's advertised correctly - the 'production year' is 2001. Which other topic are you referring to?

Awesome! thanks for clearing that up :D

This one.. http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=15596

The one in the topic is referring to the bulbs which give an 'egg yolk' look, because on cars with clear indicators you need an amber bulb to produce an amber light so the amber shows through the clear indicators. So to get rid of the 'egg yolk' look people get bulbs that are amber underneath but have a silver coating on the outside, so they still flash amber. While normal (clear) bulbs are used in amber indicator housings because the amber housing will turn the light amber anyway.

You can do that for any car that uses amber bulbs but it will have no effect whatsoever on a car that has amber indicator housings (ie: yours).

Edited by Yuen

I'm talking about these amber bulbs in the headlights, would it be possible to change em to clear ones? I realize that the sides can not be changed from amber to clear.

post-2274-1208646905_thumb.jpg

The last time I saw amber E39 angel eyes, the round indicator lens cover was also amber - hence my post above. But doing a quick search this morning I found out there are many more versions:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/AEinstall/headlight.html

So yeah if your car has the clear round indicator lens and an amber bulb behind it you can do the bulb paint thing or change them to clear ones (which may or may not be legal).