Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

BMW Mini - anyone got one?

What's the good, the bad, which one to go for etc. etc.

The wife is smitten with the Mini while I prefer 1 series. FWD vs RWD, I know which one I'll go for.

Anyone has tried importing one from Japan? Any experience, firm to use etc.?

And WTH with the speedo being in the centre? It's hard work trying to monitor my speed, unless it comes with HUD, which it doesn't.

I have never owned one, but drove them several times in my previous life as a car dealer.

In my opinion, they are not near as good as everyone makes out. Horrid engine and quite a numb drive. A Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 new at $24,990 is a much better proposition than a used Mini. Alternatively, look at a diesel Skoda Fabia vRS too.

You easily get used to the speedo in the centre as its so damn big. If you do buy a Mini, I would strongly advise getting a NZ New one (I've seen some rough Jappas with very strange spec) and stretching to an "S".

What's the good, the bad, which one to go for etc. etc.

The wife is smitten with the Mini while I prefer 1 series. FWD vs RWD, I know which one I'll go for.

And WTH with the speedo being in the centre? It's hard work trying to monitor my speed, unless it comes with HUD, which it doesn't.

Keep it BMW and go for a series 1

Either way, buy direct from Japan. I see heaps of 1 series as well as Minis for sale on a weekly basis.

Company to use over there ... best service and nice people to work with (I have used a few companies over there) ... http://www.kadoco.co.jp/

Any further advise needed, send me a PM

Either way, buy direct from Japan. I see heaps of 1 series as well as Minis for sale on a weekly basis.

Company to use over there ... best service and nice people to work with (I have used a few companies over there) ... http://www.kadoco.co.jp/

Any further advise needed, send me a PM

On that site, how do you tell all the models apart because they are all different to here?

Cheers

On that site, how do you tell all the models apart because they are all different to here?

Cheers

Once you register on that site, they start to send you auction notices / listings / link to USS with the listings and model codes etc (ie BMW 3 series 2001 with 2.8l motor would be ... "AM28")

Below is a free link and pasword to the USS site which is a grown up version to NZ Turners Car Auctions. Doesn't show you the start price and estimated finish price but you get that info by asking Kadoco once you have registered.

Happy window shopping (Wed or Thurs has the most listings on line)

http://bzl.cis6200.jp/e/

Password E72823

Edited by RvT

just a normal suzuki swift is quite a nice wee car,the best by far of the tiny cars and very good price too

Currently owned a 2005 Honda Jazz Sport (1.5 VTEC), driven Swift Sport owned by a friend and test driven a 120d and Copper S Auto.

I'd pick...

Jazz for space and occupant comfort (space-wise)

Swift for $ for value

120d for economy and comfort (noise-wise)

Copper S for driving fun and the somewhat cool factor

The original new Mini has a not-so-good engine compare to the other 3, but handling is very nice compare to the Jazz and Swift. I haven't tried the 120d that hard to be able to compare but I would imagine 120d will be more stable but slightly lass agile as it has a longer wheel base.

Centre speedo didn't bother me at all as it so damn big, can't really miss it. If you are really concerned, there are some that has the speedo & rev-meter behind the steering wheel if it was specced with sat-nav (all Mini) or the gauges pack (S only)

Mates Dad has an 07 John Cooper Works mini. Has all the flash carbon bits and mags, exhaust etc. Was telling me the other day how he was given the previous supercharged model. Said it was horrible. And he would not have purchased a mini if they still drove like that.

I only ever drove the el cheapo ones in the UK. Rated the Puegot 307's and Clio's better.

LOL, thanks for the replies.

My biggest beef is the ride, pointed it to the corner and ... whoa ... even my '96 Compact performed better. Mind you it was Mini One.

It hunted for gears coming up the Gorge, up and down, up and down (through the gears).

I don't know, the missus likes it for its cool factor.

My pick is 118d, in M guise.

Wonder whether they can bring the diesel Mini to NZ?

I've currently got a 2004 Cooper S (supercharger) model to drive. It's quite good fun, but I must say it looks rather um, queer. Get a 130i manual! Or a Clio RS.

Clio RS are awesome. Quite a bit of Tourqe steer and you need to yell at each other to communicate though. lol

I dont think I would get a Mini unless it was a Cooper Works version.