Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Slight Shudder in E38 740i

I've got very big 20 inch wheels on the 740, shod with Dunlop SP01A* tyres (245 x 40 profile).

Since fitting the new tyres I've noticed that on certain course chip surfaces there is quite a vibration through the steering - noticably worse at just on 100kph (of course). On other surfaces it's perfect, no vibration at all.

One of the front wheels had it's rim machined. Could this have unbalanced the wheel somehow. I had this done at the same time as I put the new tyres on it.

I've had the wheels balanced (twice) and the wheel alignment done.

Any ideas?

The hubcentric rings might be missing or your reaction rod bushes might be stuffed

Edited by botanymotorworx

Control arm bushes need replacing. This has happened on 3 of our 7's and 2 5's. For some reason the bigger diameter wheels cause the problem. We are just about to do our 735, it is actually easier to replace the whole arm (and cheaper) than trying to press out the bush and press a new one in.

Control arm bushes need replacing. This has happened on 3 of our 7's and 2 5's. For some reason the bigger diameter wheels cause the problem. We are just about to do our 735, it is actually easier to replace the whole arm (and cheaper) than trying to press out the bush and press a new one in.

Thanks - I'll add that to my list of things to do. I guess this is Jeff Grey job then.

I think you make have been right.

PowerHaus in Tinakori Wellington just replaced both worn rear monoball joints, and replaced both rear upper control arms. The also found one rear wheel was missing it's centre ring, and one of the front wheels had two stacked together, plus a loose pinch bolt on the steering box - they found all this doing a WOF and the repairs so the car would pass the WOF.

We took this car to the follwoing places to have this issue looked at; Dave Hadley (put the wheels on with he new tyres), Tonys Tyre Centre in Kent Tce, Page European, and finally Firestone in Upper Hutt who did a warm balance. VTNZ have done 2 WOF's and Page European have done 5. The monoball joints were munted - and as my car has only done 10,000km in 4 years they should have been picked up in an ealier WOF, or when i paid to have the suspension inspected by Page!

I think you make have been right.

PowerHaus in Tinakori Wellington just replaced both worn rear monoball joints, and replaced both rear upper control arms. The also found one rear wheel was missing it's centre ring, and one of the front wheels had two stacked together, plus a loose pinch bolt on the steering box - they found all this doing a WOF and the repairs so the car would pass the WOF.

We took this car to the follwoing places to have this issue looked at; Dave Hadley (put the wheels on with he new tyres), Tonys Tyre Centre in Kent Tce, Page European, and finally Firestone in Upper Hutt who did a warm balance. VTNZ have done 2 WOF's and Page European have done 5. The monoball joints were munted - and as my car has only done 10,000km in 4 years they should have been picked up in an ealier WOF, or when i paid to have the suspension inspected by Page!

I can't believe that no-one picked up on the locating ring issue. Have the wheels been off since the new wheels and tyres were fitted?

Do you need some new locating rings? Maybe I could send some down?

Edited by zenetti

I can't believe that no-one picked up on the locating ring issue. Have the wheels been off since the new wheels and tyres were fitted?

Do you need some new locating rings? Maybe I could send some down?

Thanks for the offer byt Powerhaus has sorted it out now.

I can't believe either - Dave Hadleys guys had them off to rebalance them as the problem only started after they fitted the new Dunlop tyres to the Beemer (replacing some nexten N3000 which only had an 89 load rating).

Tonys tyre centre then had them off for the same problem and couldn't fix it.

Page may have teken them off, but they were aksed to specifcally check for issues as you had suggested it could be bushings etc. They found nothing, and confirmed that the front bushings had been replaced. They suggested a warm balance in case it was flat spots on the tyres.

Then Firestone in Upper Hutt removed them for the warm balance recommended by Page (it did get better but not perfect).

Powerhaus took them off as I mentioned it had a shudder, and found the problem - I guess one rear wheel having a ring and the other one missing a ring was a give away. They put 2 new rings on the front (1 each wheel) and used the two undamaged ones for the rear. Didn't charge me any more for that either which was nice.

My SLK will be going there for a service shortly, and my Audi also - they seem very thorough. I guess if people want to keep their Euros in top condition thorough is what you want. Unfortunately thorough can be expensive!

Glad to hear you have it all sorted finally. Thorough does not always have to be expensive! do it once and do it properly the first time can be cheeper than having several firms look at it and still not get it sorted. In running items on a motor vehicle which are out side what the manufacture has specified does increase the chance of problems occuring by putting extra loading on components which are not designed for it.

Glad to hear you have it all sorted finally. Thorough does not always have to be expensive! do it once and do it properly the first time can be cheeper than having several firms look at it and still not get it sorted. In running items on a motor vehicle which are out side what the manufacture has specified does increase the chance of problems occuring by putting extra loading on components which are not designed for it.

Thanks. I don't understand the extra load stuff in my case - the overall diamater is within a few mm of the standard tyre, and the width is only 245 (standard is 235), and often these have staggered fittment with 255 on the rear. Probably heavier though.