325_driver

and interesting thought

i was reading a topic on petrol prices

and noticed some thing at the gas station

got me thinking

i wonder if this has crossed any one elses mind

you type in x amount of fuel and it finished bla bla bla

it has stopped pumping

but on most cases when you take the nozzle out, there always seem to be remaining gas draining from the pipe

now i dont know the exact ammount of gas that comes out, all over the side of your car, and ground.

point being . . . .

i wonder on a global scale if it could be measured or calculated

how much fuel is being wasted from this ?

and, if you manage to get all of that excess gas in your car instead of pulling nozzle out with out using the lift pipe above head, shake nozzle crazy tactic, how many liters a month / year would you gain / save from loosing.

interesting . . .

well i think

and, if you manage to get all of that excess gas in your car instead of pulling nozzle out with out using the lift pipe above head, shake nozzle crazy tactic, how many liters a month / year would you gain / save from loosing.

Not enough to worry about it.. I hold the hose up when i fill

I get pissed off when you put in the dollar amount then fill up, and when it finishes it never fully puts in $50 worth, it only puts in $49.70 as an example. Imagine how much extra they must get if they take another 20-30c off everyone. and its happened quite a few times!

you actually get the hose full from the guy before you so you dont lose any thing.

I get pissed off when you put in the dollar amount then fill up, and when it finishes it never fully puts in $50 worth, it only puts in $49.70 as an example. Imagine how much extra they must get if they take another 20-30c off everyone. and its happened quite a few times!

You dont get charged 50 bucks do you???if it only puts in 49 70 thats what you pay,even if you have punched 50,it stops where it stops

i wonder on a global scale if it could be measured or calculated

how much fuel is being wasted from this ?

Of course you can. It is a very simple calculation

Consider yourself as the average driver: you refuel 1 x per week, and loose 15milli-litres of gas each refuel

NZ has 4million people, about 3.2people per family.

Assume average of 1 x car per family = 1.25m cars in NZ always on the road, refuelling once per week. (I actually think the average is now 1.2 cars per family)

1.25m x 0.015 litres wasted gas in one week = 18,750 wasted litres per week

52 weeks in the year, so that's 975,000 litres per year

What's the price of gas now? $1.20 per litre? That's $1.17m worth of wasted gas per annum

Adjust the variables to see what effect it has on the output:

eg: if the average driver refuels on average every 2 weeks, that will halve the figure.

And the above is just in New Zealand...

You dont get charged 50 bucks do you???if it only puts in 49 70 thats what you pay,even if you have punched 50,it stops where it stops

Sorry, i worded it wrong. On the pre-paid pumps up here in Auckland you go in and pay and then they release the pump. You pay 50 but the pump only counts up to say $49.70. Really annoying.

Of course you can. It is a very simple calculation

Consider yourself as the average driver: you refuel 1 x per week, and loose 15milli-litres of gas each refuel

NZ has 4million people, about 3.2people per family.

Assume average of 1 x car per family = 1.25m cars in NZ always on the road, refuelling once per week. (I actually think the average is now 1.2 cars per family)

1.25m x 0.015 litres wasted gas in one week = 18,750 wasted litres per week

52 weeks in the year, so that's 975,000 litres per year

What's the price of gas now? $1.20 per litre? That's $1.17m worth of wasted gas per annum

Adjust the variables to see what effect it has on the output:

eg: if the average driver refuels on average every 2 weeks, that will halve the figure.

And the above is just in New Zealand...

thats scary,but I bet its a hell of a lot more than 15 ml,thats only three teaspoons.Say the hose is 3 m(300 cm) long and has an ID of 20 mm(2 cm) thats a volume of of 300x3.14x1 = 942cc!

Sorry, i worded it wrong. On the pre-paid pumps up here in Auckland you go in and pay and then they release the pump. You pay 50 but the pump only counts up to say $49.70. Really annoying.

The pump keeps going, you stopped it early. You do get your full $50. The last 30c or so the pump slows down the rate at which it pumps so it doesn't go everywhere/can pump more accurately I guess.

You can also go into the store after hanging it up and retrieve the balance.

thats scary,but I bet its a hell of a lot more than 15 ml,thats only three teaspoons.Say the hose is 3 m(300 cm) long and has an ID of 20 mm(2 cm) thats a volume of of 300x3.14x1 = 942cc!

If anyone manages to spill 15+ml of petrol removing the pump and hanging it up they must have very unsteady hands. At most maybe 5 or 6 drops usually escape and they'd be way off a ml each. As for 942cc thats a almost whole litre. If you spill that filling your car your a total tard.

Edited by jeddy

If anyone manages to spill 15+ml of petrol removing the pump and hanging it up they must have very unsteady hands. At most maybe 5 or 6 drops usually escape and they'd be way off a ml each. As for 942cc thats a almost whole litre. If you spill that filling your car your a total tard.

haha

why dont we all take averages

fill up with x ammount

have a container of some sought

pull out nozzle and pour remaining gas in pipe into container

i reakon wed be supprised how much it is

after its stopped (hit the punched in number) i always seem to get atleast 100 mls come out all over my car !

if we get 5 measurements we can do an accurate calculation

that wasnt the point,

if you fill up e.g. $20.00, dont touch the pipe or the nozzle, wait till it has hit the 20 mark and finished

remove nozzle from hole and you will notice that generally gas will still come out, not a major ammount

but enough to make you wonder

The pump keeps going, you stopped it early. You do get your full $50. The last 30c or so the pump slows down the rate at which it pumps so it doesn't go everywhere/can pump more accurately I guess.

You can also go into the store after hanging it up and retrieve the balance.

It actually stops the pumping at 49.70 its like they put the limit on there. I do go in and get the balance, not gonna let them get away with it. It adds up.

I hold the hose up when i fill

And give it a shake too. I want what i paid for! :P

Read something recently that talked about fuel and saving fuel.

Apparently:

1. The best time to fill up is in the morning when the fuels cold. It hasnt had a chance to heat up and expand yet, so you end up getting more at the end of the day.

2. The slower you pump your fuel the better,as the more fumes that come out the more fuel your losing. In some countries they have a regulatior on the pump that actually measures how much fuel you should be getting and how much fuel you get, then tops it up so that you get the correct amount.

There was a few more but I forget now.

Edited by bmw3

Read something recently that talked about fuel and saving fuel.

Apparently:

1. The best time to fill up is in the morning when the fuels cold. It hasnt had a chance to heat up and expand yet, so you end up getting more at the end of the day.

2. The slower you pump your fuel the better,as the more fumes that come out the more fuel your losing. In some countries they have a regulatior on the pump that actually measures how much fuel you should be getting and how much fuel you get, then tops it up so that you get the correct amount.

There was a few more but I forget now.

When i was in the states it took over 5minutes to fill the tank cause it pumps so slowly. And it didn't have the latch so you can walk away and leave it, you had to stand there holding the whole time

bring back the days where it costed 5 bux to fill your tank i say

I'd be happy if it only cost me $70 to fill a tank.

$2.05 or some rubbish for 98 at BP Te Puna last night, see its dropped back down a bit this morning.

I'd be happy if it only cost me $70 to fill a tank.

$2.05 or some rubbish for 98 at BP Te Puna last night, see its dropped back down a bit this morning.

yo yo, your in tauranga

and out my ways too

mean, go bmw fans !!!

bring back the days where it costed 5 bux to fill your tank i say

But what was the average wage then?

It's all sort of relevant, as said in another thread, the economy (sort of) keeps up with things like fuel prices. I think it will be a long time before we cant fill up our tanks. And when it is, I'm outta here, cause the country will be in the pits (like zimbabwe [sp]).

with the 'wasteage' gas companies don't care as it is being paid for.

Remember when gas was around $1. It would dip under then, OMG NOOOOO! go over 0.99.99!

Did you know that if you bought oil/gas using gold prices have stayed the same since 2001! (i.e. gold/oil has increase the same)

But what was the average wage then?

It's all sort of relevant, as said in another thread, the economy (sort of) keeps up with things like fuel prices. I think it will be a long time before we cant fill up our tanks. And when it is, I'm outta here, cause the country will be in the pits (like zimbabwe [sp]).

that too is an interesting thought

which bring me to this, since alot of my friends complain about this

in my opinion it all is in proportion, and if you keep pointless driving to a minimum i think the prices are fairly reasonable for day to day lives.

i find that my friends complain about how gas is taking up most of their wage, and i find it ironic that they live with in biking distance of work, and all with in walking distance of each others house. just made me think how much pointless driving is being committed on a national level. (e.g. how much driving, stopping, starting, racing arround) that you didnt have to do. i think that would be the kick in the krutch for some ones finances

yo yo, your in tauranga

and out my ways too

mean, go bmw fans !!!

Hey dude, yeah out at Pahoia, esdailes road.

Starting at Whakamarama caltex... the back road Old Highway Road -> Esdailes Road -> Wainui South Road is probably some of the best driving around. So is the road up the Minden at Te Puna, we're lucky out these ways!

Edited by Jacobfie

Hey dude, yeah out at Pahoia, esdailes road.

Starting at Whakamarama caltex... the back road Old Highway Road -> Esdailes Road -> Wainui South Road is probably some of the best driving around. So is the road up the Minden at Te Puna, we're lucky out these ways!

wierd

same road even

haha!

yeah wainui south is pretty mean

i say bring back the old days where old highway road was gravel

and tim road wasnt half sealed too

had some good times in my 325, some good times

wierd

same road even

haha!

yeah wainui south is pretty mean

i say bring back the old days where old highway road was gravel

and tim road wasnt half sealed too

had some good times in my 325, some good times

I'm pretty much stuck at home for the next 2 and a half months so if you're ever keen for a few beers (or whatever you're into) and some bimmer chat chuck me a text. I'll PM you my number.

Chances are I've seen your 325 around

I'm pretty much stuck at home for the next 2 and a half months so if you're ever keen for a few beers (or whatever you're into) and some bimmer chat chuck me a text. I'll PM you my number.

Chances are I've seen your 325 around

when it was going chances are you would have heard it

it has a hold in the exaust because of our evil drive way

and was defening

never the less, sounded like a beast at 4500 rpm booting it up esdailes hahaha

will do bro

just a bit busy atm