Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Engine Mount nuts!!

Thought I'd spend an hour in the garage today replacing my engine mounts on my E30. Replaced the right hand one easy enough. Simple job I thought until I found that some gorilla had torqued up the left hand top nut to somewhere over 500 foot pounds and I cant budge it. I can see the nut is now just starting to round off so my question is before I completly round it off...

Is is permissable to remove the bracket holding the mount to the engine block (that way I can attack that nut with something more substantial or cut the old mount off)

Thought I'd spend an hour in the garage today replacing my engine mounts on my E30. Replaced the right hand one easy enough. Simple job I thought until I found that some gorilla had torqued up the left hand top nut to somewhere over 500 foot pounds and I cant budge it. I can see the nut is now just starting to round off so my question is before I completly round it off...

Is is permissable to remove the bracket holding the mount to the engine block (that way I can attack that nut with something more substantial or cut the old mount off)

Just support the engine with a jack and take it off....no big deal

Just support the engine with a jack and take it off....no big deal

Cheers for your quick reply - thought as much but never hurts to ask.

Cheers for your quick reply - thought as much but never hurts to ask.

Good lad.....always pays to ask

You'll get quicker info if you care to ring....feel free

Good lad.....always pays to ask

You'll get quicker info if you care to ring....feel free

Thanks for that - mission accomplished. One more question though - The clearance is fairly tight between the the bottom hose and the power steering pump. Id say at the moment there is about 1cm. The radiator has also been replaced with a non genuine BMW one though it is a replacement BMW one if you know what I mean.

Edited by ducatiss

Thanks for that - mission accomplished. One more question though - The clearance is fairly tight between the the bottom hose and the power steering pump. Id say at the moment there is about 1cm. The radiator has also been replaced with a non genuine BMW one though it is a replacement BMW one if you know what I mean.

And....whats the question ??

And....whats the question ??

What is the normal amount of clearance between the power steering belt and the bottom radiator hose? 1cm (maybe even a bit less) does not seem like a lot.

What is the normal amount of clearance between the power steering belt and the bottom radiator hose? 1cm (maybe even a bit less) does not seem like a lot.

You might have the wrong belt or hose on there. I'd want more clearance. If the belt is too long, the pump adjusts out closer to the hose.. Check the belt size. A pic would help to show where its too close.

This isnt a great shot but will show where I am talking about. There is about a cm of clearance there. I think you might be right on the money with the belt adjustment as the pump looks to be the end of its adjustment so will remove the belt and look for a slightly shorter one and see how I go. Might also replace that bottom hose for good measure.

post-769-1208568921_thumb.jpg

This isnt a great shot but will show where I am talking about. There is about a cm of clearance there. I think you might be right on the money with the belt adjustment as the pump looks to be the end of its adjustment so will remove the belt and look for a slightly shorter one and see how I go. Might also replace that bottom hose for good measure.

The belt is the wrong size...problem solved :D

A further entry in the saga...

Pulled the new radiator out and compared to the original one, the outlet location to the bottom hose is different. The original being offset to the left by about three cm which accounts for why there is so little clearance between the bottom hose and the PS pump pulley with the new one installed. I may be able to take up that difference a little by a shorter PS pump belt but it is the correct one for the car so best I think to sort the problem out properly rather than bodge a fix. The garage had my old one to compare and take part nos off so there should be no reason why it is different. Back to the garage in the morning!!

Edited by ducatiss