Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

sunrooof mechanism

another part im looking for in my e30

as the linkage is broken

just as a question, would it be an easy option to just install a electric sunroof? as its just a manual winder

since i could salvage one from my other e30, if thats going to be too much hassle, who do i get the sunroof mechanism from?

thanks

i have electric sinroof motor.

You can convert from manual to electric - I have done one before.

A bit of effort & 2-3 hrs work - you need to remove & swap the whole rack assy - meaning removing lid, overhead console & trim/frame work of sunroof, swapping rack assy, mounting motor assy, run wire down pillar & connect to power source (already there). Reassemble in reverse.

You can convert from manual to electric - I have done one before.

A bit of effort & 2-3 hrs work - you need to remove & swap the whole rack assy - meaning removing lid, overhead console & trim/frame work of sunroof, swapping rack assy, mounting motor assy, run wire down pillar & connect to power source (already there). Reassemble in reverse.

am i going to have to remove sunroof ?

oh btw, since i have major sunroof leaks

how do i get the sunroof out to do its seals

cheers

Changing the sunroof from manual to electric is easy az. You dont need to change jack all except the the manual winder unit with the electric one. and the roof interior trim part, ( one the sunvisors screw to)

wiring it in is simple aswel. You only need to run a power (only on when key is on)and earth up one of the pillars to the electric unit.

ive also got the parts needed and can write a description of how to install if needed.

Could be done in an hour easy I rekon.

To remove the roof liner in one piece is probably the hardest part if you need to take the sunroof out completely.

Once you have that off taking the sunroof out is fairly strait forward.

Edited by 323e30

Changing the sunroof from manual to electric is easy az. You dont need to change jack all except the the manual winder unit with the electric one. and the roof interior trim part, ( one the sunvisors screw to)

wiring it in is simple aswel. You only need to run a power (only on when key is on)and earth up one of the pillars to the electric unit.

ive also got the parts needed and can write a description of how to install if needed.

To remove the roof liner in one piece is probably the hardest part if you need to take the sunroof out completely.

yeah i have one in my old e30

that should be sweet

what about running a power up from the stereo acc wire ?

same diff aye ?

yeah i have one in my old e30

that should be sweet

what about running a power up from the stereo acc wire ?

same diff aye ?

Pritty much really, it will work sweet, if it blows fuses find a diff source tho, dont go putting a bigger fuse in haha.

Stand to be corrected, but news to me... - last time I looked the mechanisms were different - otherwise I would simply have swapped winder mechanisms & not the whole thing.

Also, you don't need to run an earth wire - the earth connects to the car at the top beside the motor. The power supply is as I said - already there, behind glovebox (plug & play). DONT pick up from the stereo.

Also, to change as I described, as I said - you need to remove the lid, depending where your leak is - it could be due to rust in the lid/frame or blocked drain holes in each corner of frame - the seal around the edge of the lid is not intended to be water proof - water getting in should drain through the designated drains in the frame

ok, will get hood linings off and start piecing it together

as with the leaks

probably best bet would be to get it open and have a look i suppose

and no doubt ther will probably be rust in front of me

thanks hotwire

Theres probably a difference between face lift and pre face lift tho sunroof winder rails. Ive always owned pre facelifts so its a strait swap.

You should put the switch for the roof winder down by the window switches while your at it, Saves the hassle of reaching up.

And use the non sun roof type trim so theres no hole where the winder or switch were.

Edited by 323e30

Theres probably a difference between face lift and pre face lift tho sunroof winder rails. Ive always owned pre facelifts so its a strait swap.

You should put the switch for the roof winder down by the window switches while your at it, Saves the hassle of reaching up.

And use the non sun roof type trim so theres no hole where the winder or switch were.

have you got that non sunroof trim?

not sure how much damage im going to do removing mine

have you got that non sunroof trim?

not sure how much damage im going to do removing mine

i think i do, ill check tommorow and get back to you. its easy to take off. but two of the screws are hiding in the sunroof gutter , you should see where i mean when you get started