Sign in to follow this  
keen

e30 m40 cam belt tension

can Anyone in here tell me how to tension up the cam belt to the correct tension? or some easy way of doing it/

can Anyone in here tell me how to tension up the cam belt to the correct tension? or some easy way of doing it/

BMW use a special tool to tension the belt, worth $$$ ..... I use experience

You shouldnt over tighten it. The rule of thumb is....you should be able to turn the belt 90 degrees on the driven side ( intake side ) Do you have a workshop manual or the correct instructions for doing this ?? If you dont get the timing right.....YOU WILL DAMAGE SOMETHING

Edited by botanymotorworx

BMW use a special tool to tension the belt, worth $$$ ..... I use experience

You shouldn't over tighten it. The rule of thumb is....you should be able to turn the belt 90 degrees on the driven side ( intake side ) Do you have a workshop manual or the correct instructions for doing this ?? If you don't get the timing right.....YOU WILL DAMAGE SOMETHING

thankyou yes I have the BMW instructions they were printed out for me by a friend but did not have the special tool, and was wondering how other mechanic's do it without the special tool.

You can use an Allen key and a spring scale (the type you would use to weigh a fish) With the Allen key in the tensioner pulley, place the spring scale 85mm along the key and pull until you reach 2kg on the scale. Keep the scale at 90 degrees to the key.