Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Car Alarms

I'm stuck between a Dynatron or an AVS S5 alarm system for my E30. Both seem to have similar functions and both are 5 star rated and $500 installed. Can I please have anyones opinions that have used one or the other?

Cheers, Luke

Have experience with supplying/fitting both Dynatron & Mongoose but not with AVS. The first two are well known & with good back up.

I would say, being 5 star that AVS is probably as good but not sure on their back up.

Yea I have heard in the past that dynatron are pretty good i think i might go with one. I see on their website there are 3 different 5 star rated ones dunno which one the guy round the corner installs for $500 all three seem pretty good though.

Thanks hotwire

I love my Dynatron.

Hotwire - any chance of PMing me the key turn sequences for re-programming it? I lost the bit of paper and need to change the bleep, and re-program a remote. Would like all the others also for reference.

Edited by bravo

I had huge problems with my AVS S5 on my old car and wouldn't go near them again.

I've now gone with a Mongoose M80G on my M3 and all is well so far :)

Wouldn't touch AVS ever again ... e46 is having/had a nightmares with their flagship 9000 unit .. doors lock and wont unlock randomly .. gets very embarassing asking passengers sometimes to climb in the drivers door. It wont interface with the side markers. Tilt sensor kept setting off the cell phone texting and the alarm. More on a budget kiwi made items for non compeditive prices.

Swapping to Mongoose map80 asap. Its even half the price!

I love my Dynatron.

Hotwire - any chance of PMing me the key turn sequences for re-programming it? I lost the bit of paper and need to change the bleep, and re-program a remote. Would like all the others also for reference.

Cant remember them offhand but will confirm & let you know

Cheers

Grant

Wouldn't touch AVS ever again ... e46 is having/had a nightmares with their flagship 9000 unit .. doors lock and wont unlock randomly .. gets very embarassing asking passengers sometimes to climb in the drivers door. It wont interface with the side markers. Tilt sensor kept setting off the cell phone texting and the alarm. More on a budget kiwi made items for non compeditive prices.

Swapping to Mongoose map80 asap. Its even half the price!

You're having the same issues I was warned about. I was going to get a mongoose M80G installed in my e46. Not able to in the end due to the fact that it can't link up with the indicator messages (it doesn't understand the signals).

Looked at getting a dynatron D4800 after that but found out that would have the same problem.

I only want to install an upgrade kit (works off original central locking system) otherwise I will lose all the remote key functions (such as seat and heating settings by key unlock).

I was told that Dynatron have now come up with upgraded software for the D4800 and are now testing it. It should be available in the next six months. Should take away all your E46 alarm problems, if it works.

thanks ... interesting ... Sometimes i really hate being the first going through all these e46 gotchyas. The problem(s) have been like this for 2 odd years. The door lock / unlock problem has started happening after a ECU / GPU software upgrade. Went back to BMW they said you have an after market alarm .. its their problem.

:rolleyes: