Sign in to follow this  
cainchapman

Heavy Metal supply

Ok, I need to add weight to 20 flakes of 45mm fire hose.

I need to add 4-5kg to each hose.

Ideally I would like to get a supply of lead shot (still available?). It has been suggested that I could use dive weights. I would prefer to get the weight inside the hose too, as we are endeavouring to use them for the event over the next 3 years.

As these hoses are being used as the baton in the Firefighters Skytower climb, I'd prefer not to have great big weights in one location, as it could become quite a hazard as it is passed from one firefighter to the next.

Any suggestions as to what I could use and where I can get it from.

80-100kg of weight needed.

Thanks Cain

lead shot??That would make the hose pretty unweidly wouldnt it?.Gun shop would be the only place i can think of.Or a general engineer,for some lumps of steel or a hardware store for some lengths of 16 mm reinforcing rod.Gravel???

Ok, I need to add weight to 20 flakes of 45mm fire hose.

I need to add 4-5kg to each hose.

Ideally I would like to get a supply of lead shot (still available?). It has been suggested that I could use dive weights. I would prefer to get the weight inside the hose too, as we are endeavouring to use them for the event over the next 3 years.

As these hoses are being used as the baton in the Firefighters Skytower climb, I'd prefer not to have great big weights in one location, as it could become quite a hazard as it is passed from one firefighter to the next.

Any suggestions as to what I could use and where I can get it from.

80-100kg of weight needed.

Thanks Cain

Phone up a super yacht manufacturer such as sovereign yachts or alloy yachts and ask them where they get their lead pellets from, I have some (15kg). expect to pay at least $3.50 per kilo

Thanks for that suggestion Ollie.

I got the local dive shop from $10 to $6.50 per kilo of lead.

We're also tossing up Iron sand, that would be good too.