Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Colour matched paint - warning rant.

OK. So I got some mtec1 sides to finish of the outside the other day, and decided to paint them myself as I've painted a few things and had some success with a reasonable end result.

Went to Auto paint in Henderson to get the salmon silver to into some cans, I paid the extra $15 or whatever it was for them to come and properly color match the paint on my car. Fantastic I thought it was great, bought some primer, clear coat and enough paint to cover Africa. The total was still far less than I was quoted by a panel beater to be pro painted, and without the hassle of dropping off my car etc etc.

So I get cracking, sanding, sanding and sanding, starting at 80 finishing at 400grit.

Primer goes down, all good, nice coat, smooth finish. Left it to fully dry over night, and further sanded with 600grit very gently before I laid down the silver.

WELL. When it came to the silver, I thought it would need to be built up over several coats, I was very wrong, I went through ALL my paint, and it did not end up anywhere near the color of my car, much to light. The best way to describe it, is glorified primer.

Let that dry properly, gave it another very fine sand and on went the clear coat. Yet another disappointment, it did absolutely nothing, I left time in between coats I did EVERYTHING patiently and by the book. The end result, really great looking and well painted skirts, great finish etc etc.. only problem is their 1 shade off gray primer :|

I'm going to fit them tomorrow regardless as I've been hanging out for these skirts for so long and didn't go through all this hassle to NOT fit them.

My question, what can I do, can I go back and demand more paint? I've had matched paint in the past which was almost identical to my car and when sprayed could hardly tell the difference... Of course I expect variation in the paint, but this much seems a bit ridiculous.

What can I dooo!!!!?!

End rant.

Alex.

You can complain to the company you bought it off and try receive some of your money back.

For all my paint colour matching I use car colours, they make very good paint and match colours well. Ideally give them a petrol flap or something to match the paint to.

however you may need to apply a few coats to get the deep shade that you need.

So it would be fair if I complained then? I don't necessarily need money, I just want the right color paint.

I thought it would need a few coats too, and I gave it more than a few as I bought enough paint to make sure,

That place looks good,

Edited by QuickSilver

Stink man. I did the same once…ended up paying a pro and at the end of the day it was only slightly dearer.

Time for the Paint Master to explain whats happened here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Auto Paints, whether from a shop or a panelbeaters are all made to a formula, some colours even have 2 or 3 different shades of that colour so it is important to make sure you have the right variant. Once the correct shade has been selected the paint is then made to the formula at this stage it is usually checked against the master or the vehicle taking a petrol flap is an ideal thing to do if it is exactly the same shade as the area you wish to paint.

But bear in mind that these paints are formulated to be applied via a spray gun which has a lot higher air pressure capability than that of a spray can, because the spray can has such a low air pressure the paint has to be thinned far more than if it was being applied through a gun. The result of this addition of extra thinner is a lower opacity (it wont cover as well) and a difference in colour due to the pimentation being dispersed more.

Unfortunately silver colours are the worst for this kind of thing.

I'm not saying this is the problem, but more of providing you with info to question the shop where you got the paint from. Did they match the colour, Did they allow for putting it in a spray can rather than a gun.

Ah the bit about the paint for can vs spray gun makes a bit of sense. I've given in and gone to my panel beater who was sympathetic and worked out a real cheap deal with me, so I'm getting it all sorted after all, still a hassle I didn't wanna have to go through!

Alex.

Ok, so I got it sorted, all painted and lookin good, couldnt be arsed with the paint shop and gave up lol. Cheers for all the help guys! Alex

Pics?

**EDIT** nm, saw your other post with a pic

Edited by Creaver

See edited post :), thanks though.

Hah yeah i saw that just after i had posted link. :)