Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

M30 question

Can anyone tell me the differences, if any with the M30 block? It dates from the late 70's I think thru to the 90's. Ranges from 2.5 to 3.5 lt, is this achieved with the same block, and just crank and piston changes? Guess what I'd like to know, is it interchangeable from E34, to E32, to E28? My impression at the moment, is that it's the same block, Real oem numbers match. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me the differences, if any with the M30 block? It dates from the late 70's I think thru to the 90's. Ranges from 2.5 to 3.5 lt, is this achieved with the same block, and just crank and piston changes? Guess what I'd like to know, is it interchangeable from E34, to E32, to E28? My impression at the moment, is that it's the same block, Real oem numbers match. Thanks.

flick Brent a pm, he should know, as far as i'm aware same block,maybe different sump and theres a couple of head variations-compression changes

are you talking short block or long block?

I can get the differences for the early blocks from the service manual...bore/stroke stuff

The engines have quite a lot of differences in the head/cam setup as the transition from carbies to the different types of FI/ Engine Management systems

Sumps/oil pickups vary model to model

Hi rxsumo, just the bare block, no head sump pistons etc, bare block only. Thanks.

call sometime

021433600 09-2997389 . also have a good artical from total bmw mag about the life of the M30

okay for the old motors..E3

2500 Bore 86mm Stroke 71.6 C/R 9.0:1

2800 Bore 86mm Stroke 80 C/R 9.0:1

3.0S Bore 89mm Stroke 80 C/R 9.0:1

3.0Si Bore 89mm Stroke 80 C/R 9.5:1

3.0CSL Bore 89.25mm Stroke 84 C/R 9.5:1

3.3 L Bore 89mm Stroke 88.4 C/R 9.0:1

3.3 Li Bore 89mm Stroke 86 C/R 9.0:1

The only differences that I can think of would be for the accessory mounts...power steer...air con....and perhaps the harmonic balancer.

Most of the blocks that I have seen are marked up with the engine displacement 2500/2800 3.2/3.5, which I assume refers to base bore size.

I havent checked out an E34 block, but the E23 735 engine I have, accepts all the E3 engine mounts, the only difference was the dissy & location, water feeder pipes and the sump/oil pickups

call sometime

021433600 09-2997389 . also have a good artical from total bmw mag about the life of the M30

Would be interested in reading about the M30 Brent, any chance of scanning & posting?Got time?

sorry dont have a scanner , but just took some pics with my camera . sorry big files .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Brent, great article, seems from reading that, the E34 will go into an E28 if you use Highline mounting brackets. Any idea what they are?

Thanks Brent, great article, seems from reading that, the E34 will go into an E28 if you use Highline mounting brackets. Any idea what they are?

they are rare from the very last of the highline 88/89 e24 635csi .

dont bother , just find an early e32 or e34 block or any e28. e23 or e24 3.5L one .

What is a "rare" m30 block used on pre-83 3.5's worth?

yes not to many of those around has a larger bore , shorter stroke engine .

martyn (topcat ) is using one of those from a early 635csi .

using the later crank to increase the engine size and a do a bit of boring as well.

also my M88 m5 engine uses these blocks (apparently have a stronger casting ) m -power blocks are left out in the weather for about 12months to age the steel as well.

brent,your so knowlegable.

if you realy want a strong 3.5 block,use an early e23/e24 ('77-79') 3.5 unit.commonly known as the m90 block

apparently the have extra reinforcing built in as well as the larger water channel running back

to the water pump.and its bores are 93.4mm.same as the m5/m6 engines.

the later m5,m90 blocks dont have the extra strucural or add cooling features.

more interesting is that these blocks were used in the bmw factory race engines in the m1's

for the pro cars 480hp in the IV groups and a huge 900hp group V race classes

Guess that if you want to build something to handle big hp numbers then we all need to start with the bit that

holds it all togther

hey just a quick question ive just picked up a m30b28 out of a e28 an was wondering if i could increase its capacity to 3000cc? is this possible?

hey just a quick question ive just picked up a m30b28 out of a e28 an was wondering if i could increase its capacity to 3000cc? is this possible?

yes just get the crank , pistons and rods from a 530i 730i engine etc .

better just to go to a 3.5 set up .

if you are going to carry all that weight ,you might as well have the power and torque of the 3.5L engine .

Did Alpina/Hertge etc have a high compression version of the M30 in the B10 etc?If so how did they do it?

Edited by kiwi535

Did Alpina/Hertge etc have a high compression version of the M30 in the B10 etc?If so how did they do it?

Alpina fitted lightweight Mahle crowned pistons, they reshaped the head to hemispherical combustion chambers + all the other mods.

Compare the head combustion shape in the pix below to a stock head & you will see the diff, i don't believe the power figures Alpina quoted back then either.(put one on a dyno & you will be surprised)

post-1048-1217980310_thumb.jpg

Alpina fitted lightweight Mahle crowned pistons, they reshaped the head to hemispherical combustion chambers + all the other mods.

Compare the head combustion shape in the pix below to a stock head & you will see the diff, i don't believe the power figures Alpina quoted back then either.(put one on a dyno & you will be surprised)

post-1048-1217980310_thumb.jpg

i wouldnt know what a stock one would look like Boris :/

Are you saying alpina were modest or ?Not?I would think the higher compression with a chip would actually make the m30 quite a bit more fuel efficient(if you didnt use the right foot more)

Surprised which way?

Lower pwr than quoted, as best you can work out via dyno conversion.

i wouldnt know what a stock one would look like Boris :/

Are you saying alpina were modest or ?Not?I would think the higher compression with a chip would actually make the m30 quite a bit more fuel efficient(if you didnt use the right foot more)

Have a look on trademe, there is a m30 head for sale. All i can tell you is that during testing the Alpina B10 was quicker than a 535i & only used 1.5 mpg more.

yes just get the crank , pistons and rods from a 530i 730i engine etc .

better just to go to a 3.5 set up .

if you are going to carry all that weight ,you might as well have the power and torque of the 3.5L engine .

well the motor was free(thanks jono) so was going 2 see wat it can do. an it will be supercharged or turboed so it wont be slugish lol. so i use the b28 block an head an get b30 crank pistons and rods? sounds simple. no catch? like sump size? also any 1 got these parts?

my hartge built engine got 132kw at the wheels .with no fancy headers or cam , but with 10:1 pistons hartge cylinder and valve work ,modified ecu etc .

gavin at hi-velocity had a factory alpina b10 e34 he got about 140kw at the wheels (cam, head work, valves , modified ecu , headers 10.5:1 pistons)

same dyno .

stock e34 535i about 110kw stock e28 535i about 120kw

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i