Sign in to follow this  
petone

Ignition advance and petrol

Hi guys, just curious as to what sort of gas you put in your cars? Can they take 91 or should it be like 96 minimum? I always use 96 and I was thinking about playing round with ignition timing but if it should have 96 anyway then i wouldn't bother.

How much differnce does advancing the timing make? Worth mucking round with or better left alone? Andrew, I noticed you had done this to your 320i, what did you think of it?

always use 96, the stock engine timing is designed for that...gull 97 IMO is the best...same price as 96 too.....on the 320 it made a huge diff...didnt make much of a diff on the 318 though, and you always need to run 98.....to be honest i wouldnt bother trying to screw power outta an m10...just enjoy going round corners fast

Guest Andrew

well obviously you want a fuel thats harder to burn when you advance the timing - this will prevent pre-ignition.

The 320 gained a hheeapp load more power with 20deg timing advance running 98. The m10 318 got timing advance done on 91 of 10 deg or so with a bit more driveability - it is my mums car so we didn't wanna go 98 it and try run 25 deg advance or something. It may be worth a try on your car.

I'll have to think about it then, I don't know exactly what I'm doing, I only know the basic idea. I'd have to get someone from BS down here to help, (Looking at carl or glenn here). So you think I could still advance it a bit using 96?

andrew. turns out my engine is pre-facelift so can i advance my timming now????

would i need to run 98? cos i run 96 at the moment

turns out my engine is pre-facelift

So is your car facelift? You can tell if your timing is adjustable if you have a small box with two plugs going into on the side of your engine bay, should have telefunken written on it. Also your dizzy should be driven off the block as opposed to the head.

yea my car is f**ked up its facelift with a pre-facelift engine well thats wat gus told me and i hav a fcelift airbox or somthihng

i have a look for that next time im under the hood

looks like the owner fried the original engine then, and slapped in another <_< , shifty

looks like the owner fried the original engine then, and slapped in another <_< , shifty

yea thats wat im thinking. but of cors i want do everyone wants to do and put in a 325i engine anda 5-speed box!! but thats not for a couple miles down the track

although it is an early facelift...coulda been when they were using facelift bodies but pre facelift engines...andys suggestion from tonites musings

Yea thats crazy bout ur engine dude- but i gotta admit i was impressed by ur car yestaday- itll b a good looka wen its running with sum decent(at least bottlecaps) rims...... DEGREASE THE ENGINE!

Well i gotta say, my car HATESSSS te 91 fuel, but likes 96 an loves anythin higher!!

Definitely notice the diff

i have the best of both worlds.

a pre-face lift body with a facelift motor(motronic)

So do you like the look of the pre FL better or someother reason like cost? Just a random question - Was 86' the first year they made a 325i then?

yea i will get around to degreasing the engine sometime after i get it serviced.. no point in having a nice clean engine when it isnt running properly

yea and bottle caps are at the top of the list after servicing

i only need two more

So do you like the look of the pre FL better or someother reason like cost? Just a random question - Was 86' the first year they made a 325i then?

correct me if im wrong, mine was one of the first M20B25 motor in an E30 shell.

also mine came with full electrics and cruze control

i love the crome bumbers and the window trims

FL one's didnt come with crome bumbers. even though they are abit heavier the the plastic ones.

Guest WAGON

i seem to like the fl bumpers way better than the chrome ones

and black window trim is so sexy :mosh:

Guest Andrew

correct me if im wrong, mine was one of the first M20B25 motor in an E30 shell.

also mine came with full electrics and cruze control

i love the crome bumbers and the window trims

FL one's didnt come with crome bumbers. even though they are abit heavier the the plastic ones.

Your sort of wrong -

All 325 (yep 325, 325e, 325i) are motronic 1.1 or higher.

The 325i came out in prefacelift in 1986 I think and had the motronic 1.1 motor - (what my car has also Tim).

Some later prefacelift cars (such as ollies 320i) had Motronic 1 systems. Essentially fancy L-Jetronic.