Sign in to follow this  
tire

E30 steering rack help, Wgtn

Whats a nylock nut? #7 here? and #9 here?

cheers mike, you are the win as has been said before.

Whats a nylock nut?

nylock nut is just a nut with some untapped nylon in it, it acts as a locking device to stop it vibrating loose.

Posted Image

beware that bmw used their own self locking nuts which up close look slightly 'not round' and look kind of like the pic below, you can replace these with nylock nuts.

Posted Image

Got it in. Now just need to tighten up all the bolts - is a torque wrench necessary or just do em all up good and tight? There are torque specs in the bentley manual (arrived from amazon Wednesday before last which was in half the time they quoted thanks amazon).

What bolts/washers/nuts do I actually need to replace? Manual says universal joint shaft self locking nuts, tie rod ends nuts, steering rack mounting bolts (surely not?), and washers for banjo bolts where fluid lines connect to the gear.

Thanks.

Edit - for a torque wrench I am looking at this, just waiting for a reply on drive size. Everything else on there is thrice that price. According to this thread jonnesway is an ok brand..

Just to enlighten - that aint a 1/4 torque wrench - looks at least 3/8 but more like 1/2 to me (hard to tell from pic) but assuming 1/2" then that is a good one to have.

As Mike said though - no need for a torque wrench for the job youré doing now

Just to enlighten - that aint a 1/4 torque wrench - looks at least 3/8 but more like 1/2 to me (hard to tell from pic) but assuming 1/2" then that is a good one to have.

As Mike said though - no need for a torque wrench for the job youré doing now

Hmm... I though it was too small... thats why I asked. If hes right its a bitch cause my sockets are 3/8.

ok so I don't need one now but I want one anyway. A 1/4 drive torque wrench isn't as useful as a 3/8 or 1/2 drive aye? Because when doing really heavy bolts that need torquing like in the engine one needs the extra strength of a bigger drive am I right?

Cheers

Edit - btw anyone got a torque wrench for sale / know of one? on the off chance

Edited by tastic

1/2" much more versatile than 3/8 IMO - you can get a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer to use on any 3/8 sockets/ torx sockets.

That what I have.

You may want to get him to measure that one to clarify - I reacon its atleast 3/8 - maybe 1/2

Yusssss It's done! Page said not to replace all them bolts and washers unless they are cracked so I didn't. Got p/s fluid off them though cheers Paul. Bentley manual says it takes 1200ml but I'd say it was closer to 900-1000?

Took it for a drive around the Karori back streets and its nice, although whether it is better than before is debatable as its been over 3months since I last drove it :rolleyes:

It's like I'm bonded to it now I don't want to sell it!

Thanks for all the help peeps.

Wicked I just won the torque wrench for $54 :)

Edited by tastic