Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

E36 Passenger Seatbelt

The passenger seatbelt on my e36 coupe isn't automatically retracting. Iv'e heard that it has to retract to get a warrent.

I'm going to get it in the weekend but if I'll need to replace it id like to know beforehand.

Could someone who know's clarify if it needs to retract to pass.

Also is it fine to get a second hand one or is it best to buy new.

Cheers

Hmm... would ask Glenn for a definitive answer. Everytime I go for a WOF though, the inspector pulls the belt down, presumably to check if it retracts? With safety equipment best practice is not to go used (but ouch I wonder how much the dealer wants), unless I know the secondhand one isn't faulty.

Hmm... would ask Glenn for a definitive answer. Everytime I go for a WOF though, the inspector pulls the belt down, presumably to check if it retracts? With safety equipment best practice is not to go used (but ouch I wonder how much the dealer wants), unless I know the secondhand one isn't faulty.

It might be twisted in the pillar. Pull it right out and check it. Second hand is OK if it works. Otherwise give me the chassis # and I'll price a new one for you.

Thanks Yuen and Glenn for the quick replies.

It would be appreciated if you could check the price of a new one Glenn, although I'll try and find a good secondhand one.

I agree Yuen that its best to go new with safety equipment, although if the secondhand belt does work I can't see a problem.

Chassis Number: WBABF720XOEP97709

The passenger seatbelt on my e36 coupe isn't automatically retracting. Iv'e heard that it has to retract to get a warrent.

I'm going to get it in the weekend but if I'll need to replace it id like to know beforehand.

Could someone who know's clarify if it needs to retract to pass.

Also is it fine to get a second hand one or is it best to buy new.

Cheers

Before you do anything,

Pull the belt out to full extension and clean it with soap and water [ multi purpose cleaner ]

over the years, oils from "human contact" get on the belt and act like a brake.

I owned a Car dealership years ago [ the only honest one, Haha! ] , this saved me thousands $$$$

Fair enough Nick, as I said - 'best practice' ;) I'd probably do the same in your shoes, unless new was priced really well.

New - $300=$400

HELLBM - $50

Before you do anything,

Pull the belt out to full extension and clean it with soap and water [ multi purpose cleaner ]

over the years, oils from "human contact" get on the belt and act like a brake.

I owned a Car dealership years ago [ the only honest one, Haha! ] , this saved me thousands $$$$

Thanks mate, will give that a go tomorrow.

Will be in contact with you Ray if it comes to needing a replacement.