Sign in to follow this  
Alan67

E39 and ICE

Hi All,

I just got my '00 E39 last week and been looking into hooking up an ipod into the factory stereo.

I've read the ICE unit goes into the CD changer terminals and then you run the lead all the way back to the glove box if you want your ipod up front. Is there a way to hook the ICE unit at the head unit end? or off the tape deck connections? I'm not familiar with the wiring so maybe someone can enlighten me.

cheers

if you run a tape adapter to your ipod head phone socket would be one way.

Doesn't sound brilliant though

another way is to get an I-Trip

I just got my '00 E39 last week and been looking into hooking up an ipod into the factory stereo.

I've read the ICE unit goes into the CD changer terminals and then you run the lead all the way back to the glove box if you want your ipod up front. Is there a way to hook the ICE unit at the head unit end? or off the tape deck connections? I'm not familiar with the wiring so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Depends what audio setup you have:

With navigation / TV screen: radio and CD changer and all wiring is in boot.

With standard audio CD player or tape in dash (no TV): the CD changer wiring goes from the dash to the CD changer in the boot. If you want to cut the cables, you could tap into the CD changer wiring in the dash board

The best iPod integration by a country mile is the Intravee II with the Alpine iPod interface.

100% full iPod control from your BMW radio, complete with song titles etc, as long as you have the MID or the TV screen.

Edited by jochen

Didn't know about the Intravee II, better check that out. Mines NZ spec so has no TV, just MID, tape deck and CD changer.

Depends what audio setup you have:

With navigation / TV screen: radio and CD changer and all wiring is in boot.

With standard audio CD player or tape in dash (no TV): the CD changer wiring goes from the dash to the CD changer in the boot. If you want to cut the cables, you could tap into the CD changer wiring in the dash board

The best iPod integration by a country mile is the Intravee II with the Alpine iPod interface.

100% full iPod control from your BMW radio, complete with song titles etc, as long as you have the MID or the TV screen.

I'm wondering what makes this unit better than the DICE one?? I'm very interested in getting some sort of ipod integration but I can't decide between the ICELink, DICE and now this. So what makes it superior? I also noticed that the first two support text display under the odometer, whereas the one above doesn't.