Sign in to follow this  
simke

E46 airbag warning light

Just started up the car 15 min ago, and the airbarg light stays on - in fact it switches off after the check, but then it turns back on after about a second. Rang up Team McMillan just now, they are not opened for servicing on the weekend (same story with BM Workshop), and also said in the worst case scenario could cost me up to $6000 to fix! Hopefully it won't be that much, but any ideas where I could go tomorrow to have it checked, as I would like to sort this out asap.

Cheers

As with anything on an e46 .. get it plugged into a ODBII BMW diagnostic computer. 99% of errors are logged.

I'm just wondering if its got something to do with glass being replaced on passenger door when my car was broken into last week... maybe they stuffed something up on the side airbag while replacing it.

possibly .. the side intrusion sensors.

did you get it done at a BMW dealership ? if so you could easily take it back and ask them to fix it.

Atleast get the car to glenn for a look

It was Smith & Smith, but my insurance company (NZI) guarntees their work, so I'm guessing if they stuffed up I should be able to send the bill to NZI

It was Smith & Smith, but my insurance company (NZI) guarntees their work, so I'm guessing if they stuffed up I should be able to send the bill to NZI

They should really fix it free of charge if they screwed it up

They should really fix it free of charge if they screwed it up

If they screwed up I wouldn't trust them to fix it :)

But after I get it fixed and if its to do with side sensors, I'll talk to NZI and see if I can get them to give me a credit or something... but its always a pain dealing with insurance :(

Sorry I'm not at work today----family committments

I can check it monday though.... I open at 7.00...if that helps

Sorted... took it to German Automotive on the Shore, diagnostics came up with one logged error - "Driver side front airbag igniter circuit - resistance too high". They've reset it and the warning light doesn't come up anymore.

good to hear...

I wouldnt use smith and smith again. They use after market glass ( which i didnt find out for a couple of days) and broke my carrier for the automatic winder. Not only that, they left a sh*t load of glass in the door!

rangi came to mind.

next time (use my other drivers side front was broken into) I just used JC... more expensive but a proper job was done.