Sign in to follow this  
keen

Radio aerial mount leaking

The aerial mount into the body of the car e30 has split and broken off in pieces.Leaving a large hole for water to get into the boot

question 1 does anyone have a suggestion to replace it? Can you still get them?

2 has anyone seen the metal BMW one with a seal under it?

I saw one in a BMW forum in the states and the purchaser was boasting how he had got it from a wreckers yard.

3 can you get them here?

4 has anyone tried to isolate the boot lid and use that. (of course have the aerial hole filled and repainted)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=30

Is it the same as number 9 in the pic?? If so the dealer still has them. Only a couple of dollars. They are rubber though. It sound like yours might be metal or part metal?

Yes it is the no.9 in the diagram. it is rubber I think but it has gone hard and cracked and the pieces have come off but thanks for that I will try the dealer for a new one.

Have you tried using the boot lid as the aerial?

Yes it is the no.9 in the diagram. it is rubber I think but it has gone hard and cracked and the pieces have come off but thanks for that I will try the dealer for a new one.

No, the ones in my back windows work fine. Those grommets are about $6 if I remember correctly had to get one for one of my old e34's.

I went to the dealer today and they tell me that they can't get the bits for them now as the parts have dried up. Anyone able to help?

I have 2 aerials, ones got a huge roll of cable thats just sitting underneath it not connected to anything, looks like cb antenna from a taxi, my car was possible a taxi at one point in its life im guessing....

I was wanting to just remove them, bog the holes up and not have an aerial...

What would happen If i connected the aerial to the heater grid on the back window? Im guessing turning the grid on it would blow my headunit?

I have 2 aerials, ones got a huge roll of cable thats just sitting underneath it not connected to anything, looks like cb antenna from a taxi, my car was possible a taxi at one point in its life im guessing....

I was wanting to just remove them, bog the holes up and not have an aerial...

What would happen If i connected the aerial to the heater grid on the back window? Im guessing turning the grid on it would blow my headunit?

Can't use the heater element for radio aerial. The aerial grid (although looking similar) is a separate circuit on the glass to the heater circuit

oh true, i was just assuming that its basically a conductive grid, and hooking up an aerial cable would give the same results as running a few metres of wire around the car

Not feasible to try to use bootlid for aerial - to do so the lid must be insulated from the chassis (body) of the car.

Cars using this setup had the bootlid mountings designed accordingly. Typically these were older Jap cars & although they probably worked OK in Japan (with stronger reception/ more repeaters there) - they were never overly successfull here. Years ago I fitted numerous 80's Mitsi Sigmas with conventional aerials because their radio reception using bootlid was crap here in NZ

OK but was that AM or FM as the AM was never very good here anyway I used to get over the Bombay's and the AM was gone but the FM stayed right down to Hamilton.But just around town would there be a difference? I don't think it would be too difficult to isolate the hinges and the boot catch.