Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

93 325I auto / 97 Evo M3 Conversion

As most of you know, there is this damaged M3 here in Christchurch. I got it checked out by a reputable BMW panel beater and the quote to repair it was huge (over 11k) as there turned out to be a lot more damage than we expected.

so I figured I should look into plan B which is... take everything form the EVO (running gear, brakes, diffs, suspension, computer, looming, dash & airbags, interior etc..) and chuck it into my car (93 325I coupe, auto).

I know it might be a bit of a long shot but just before I go off and waste a lot of research time into if its an actual option, I figured it would be good to see if anyone has actually done this or knows it can be done.

Cheers in advance

If you're going to swap everything from the donor car, I don't see why not. Just a lot of wires to run that's all. The bodies are identical, AFAIK.

Glad to see someone on here doing it. It's the purple M3 that was posted up by 'dodgemnz' (or something similar) awhile ago yes?

Still a fun project and if it works out financially why not. Doubt it would though but if you're going to do it yourself it's a great way to bond with your car ;)

I like the idea. But its like that E34 M5, its never going to be a real M3.

+1

Be patient & find your real dream M3.

Old head opinion.

I have not actually purchased the damaged car yet Yuen but I am looking at my options.

I agree with you guys, it would be million times better if the original M3 could be repaired but from the looks of it lets just say "shes buggered".

I know that it will never be an original M3 with a swap, but it will be damn close... I will be able to get everything from the damaged car (the only difference being the shell). But I guess resell value and ROI (if you can call it that) won't be so flash, which is a big worry.

Hmmmm, still keen to hear if anyone has attempted this before, or knows of someone who has!

P.S. inside scoop: seems like the original owner bought it from a yard for 30k, had it for two weeks, no insurance and got drunk and smacked it into a tree / pole or whatever.

Man, that just pissed me off seeing the car in a state like that especially when it got totaled because it's owner was a complete moron!

Edited by crazyarab

Save up and buy the real thing, you must be close to M3 money if you can afford buy the damaged one. Also, if you get the real thing; if you keep it long enough it will start appreciating in value (like E30 M3's are now)

as every one else has said, save up and get a real one.

either that or buy the wrecked one, put the motor and box into an e30 and sell the rest :rolleyes:

LOL just do another couple of stripping jobs in Vegas and you'll be well on the way to affording the real thing :lol:

LOL just do another couple of stripping jobs in Vegas and you'll be well on the way to affording the real thing :lol:

HAHA!

Yeh, I wish ay...

I agree, save up and get the real thing. If you do a swap you will always have a nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you don't own a real M3. Look at it in terms of economics, paying for the car + mechanic fees + effort + no car for a while = cash difference in trading your 325. Also, e36 M3's aren't going to depreciate too much too quickly where are a 325i with an M3 engine will.

I agree, save up and get the real thing. If you do a swap you will always have a nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you don't own a real M3. Look at it in terms of economics, paying for the car + mechanic fees + effort + no car for a while = cash difference in trading your 325. Also, e36 M3's aren't going to depreciate too much too quickly where are a 325i with an M3 engine will.

+1 thats the best argument yet for not doing it.