Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

Motronic ECU numbers

Trying to figure out what engine I have today, theres some sort of sensor mounted on the crank wheel at the fron of the engine, and I cant seem to find the timing sensor on the flywheel housing...

Also the exhaust manifold is facelift 4 bolt one, and the idle control valve is the newer electronic one

The ECU number is 078, using a list from pelican parts of the actual motronic unit inside the unit, suggests that I have motronic ML31, and I have no clue what that means, so any help would be great...

Thanks

Ok, EDIT: Just had a more extensive look, ML31 was what was in e30 m3 ecus, motronic 1.0 motorsport, and that aint right seeing as its a completely different engine...

Theres a good chance im completely retarded about this :(

So sorry if my stupid questions are annoying everyone...

Edit 2: Ok Im just blind, according to Haynes all motronics have the timing sensors on the bellhousings, for some reason I thought 1.3 were different to 1.1 so i must have heard wrong

Edited by Ven

Can't remember ECU numbers specifically but having sensor at front of engine - this is the crank angle sensor (reading off the toothed gear on front of crank) & makes it Motronic 1.3.

The early Motronic system (325i) had the sensor pick ups in the bell housing instead.

Yeah apparently some models also had a diagnostics TDC sensor mounted on the crank at the front, and its only purpose was for bmw diagnostics, the wire from it goes straight to the loom connecting to the diagnostics plug, so I dont know if it goes back with it or not, or only goes to the plug...

EDIT: Sweet 100th post!

Edited by Ven

I think that you have ML3.3 on your 325i '86. ML3.1 were used only on M3 and Porsche and they have normal diagnostic connector. ML3.3 looks like ML3.1 (and ML1.2) but doesn't have diagnostics data-line.

325 cars with rotation sensor on the front side of engine are the cars this M1.3 - more newer version of Motronic in compare with ML3.1 or ML3.3.

and ML1.2 is a very old Motronic that was used on 325e cars with low HP 2.7L engine.