Sign in to follow this  
Mark

E36 owners: Are your bumper mouldings bumpy or smooth?

I'm thinking about installing my replica M3 bumper, and when I pulled it out of the box today I noticed the bumper mouldings are smooth as opposed to the rest of my car's mouldings which have textured finish

I figured this was because it was a knockoff bumper, but after having a look on realoem.com I noticed there are in fact two sets of part numbers for bumper mouldings. One for pre-1995 cars and one for 95 onwards.

So... long story short, can all you peops with an OEM M-tech car please tell me if your bumper mouldings are smooth or bumpy?

Edited by gannetboy

Bumpy..

Thanks! Hmmm, so why the two sets of part numbers? And the mouldings for the 95+ cars are cheaper too!

:wacko:

Do you have a link to the diagram, I just had a look and can only see one set

Edit:bad wording

Edited by Nick021

Hey Mark, the earlier E36s came with smooth mouldings while later ones got textured. The dealer will have both types - mind you even they get confused so you will need to make sure you get the right one. I might be able to find you the part number for the rear textured moulding but I don't think that will be any use to you.

I've been onto Pelicanparts.com and they have both the pre-95 and post-95 mouldings but I can't tell from the pictures if they're bumpy or smooth! I figured they may be cheaper than getting them from the dealership

Nick021.... if you look up the M-Technic bumper for a 94 car and then a 97 car you'll notice the mouldings have different part numbers.

I'll pop into the dealership tomorrow and get the right part numbers (hopefully they have some in stock they can show me)

EDIT: BTW, thanks guys! :D

Edited by gannetboy

So what happened, I thought you were keen to get a lip for the bumper rather than a Mtech?

Change of plans (as is always the case with modding). I have this bumper just sitting in the garage so I may as well put it to use. That, and I've done a deal for some cheap paintwork. :D So current plan is:

- M-tech front bumper

- AC Schnitzer rear diffuser (Cheers Yuen)

- M3 mirrors

And later on: Lower the car on 18x8.5 CSL replicas in gunmetal finish. Like this:

Posted Image

Nice :D Glad you decided to keep the car. The M front bumper will go well with the rear diffuser - the diffuser is aggressive enough IMO. Saves you buying a M rear too and you'll be different.

Any plans for the sideskirts?

Good wheel choice - trying to imagine gunmetal on green though - not sure if it's too dark for that paint, lack of contrast? It would look pretty stealth though... maybe also go with smoked indicators/tails and tint ;)

OK, so just popped into the dealer for some prices on the bits I need. Looks like it's gonna be cheaper to buy them from Pelican Parts in the States.

So.... Could someone with a M-Tech bumper and textured mouldings do me a big favour and pull off their rego plate holder and tell me the part number stamped on the back? (Nick021 I'm looking at you cos you're a good bastard! :D)

The part number should be 51112265632

Thanks peops... you'll save a bimmersporter being robbed of 300 bucks for some bits of plastic!

P.S: Yuen, I've got a p-chop of my car wearing the above wheels which I'll upload tonight. Certainly looks stealth!