Sign in to follow this  
Heresharry

E46 320i Stereo

Hi All,

ive just bought a 320i and it has an after market stereo in and i want to change it back to an original BMW unit single CD player. Does A, anyone have one? B, Does anyone know what the part number is so that it will fit the loom correctly etc

If someone has one ill give them the sony unit and mounting/blanking set out of my car too!

Cheers :rolleyes:

Hi All,

ive just bought a 320i and it has an after market stereo in and i want to change it back to an original BMW unit single CD player. Does A, anyone have one? B, Does anyone know what the part number is so that it will fit the loom correctly etc

If someone has one ill give them the sony unit and mounting/blanking set out of my car too!

There are lots of dirfferent part numbers depending on whether you want

1. Reverse RDS 8radio/tape, no CD changer control)

2. Business RDS - Tape (radio/tape, with CD changer control)

3. Business RDS - CD (radio/tape, with CD changer control)

4. Business RDS - Mini Disc (radio/tape, with CD changer control)

5. Professional RDS (Radio-CD, with double tuner and CD changer control)

6. Navigation-tape (called the mono nav)

Add to the above the differences in generation : pre 2001 and post 2001 have different connectors and different control of the antenna diversity amplifier

Add also to the above the special differences between pre-2001 Japanese, Oceania, European and USA models.

Plus the units are allways being revised and updated.

So there would be around 100 different part numbers.

You need to say:

1. Year of your car (post us the last 7 digits of the VIN so we know exactly)

2. Whether you want radio-tape + CD changer, or radio-CD (or radio-navigation :-)

Then I can show you what and where to buy.

Hey Jochen.... Empty you mailbox...it's full :D

I know this is off topic...but what is a Turbocharged German PKW ???

Edited by botanymotorworx

I know this is off topic...but what is a Turbocharged German PKW ???

Ha ha - I have soo been waiting for someone to comment :-)

I have a turbo charged engine with no spark plugs in my current vehicle.

I actually am replacing it (it's last years model) for a new one which gets delivered tomorrow. Hopefully the new one has the new version of the engine, which uses a different fuel delivery system, designed to enhance performance and reduce noise.

As for PKW... here you can get LKWs and PKWs.... have a guess as to what they are.... and have a guess as to what I now drive....

Ha ha - I have soo been waiting for someone to comment :-)

I have a turbo charged engine with no spark plugs in my current vehicle.

I actually am replacing it (it's last years model) for a new one which gets delivered tomorrow. Hopefully the new one has the new version of the engine, which uses a different fuel delivery system, designed to enhance performance and reduce noise.

As for PKW... here you can get LKWs and PKWs.... have a guess as to what they are.... and have a guess as to what I now drive....

Aaaaah...so you drive a diesel VW :D

Edited by botanymotorworx

Hi All,

Cheers :rolleyes:

I have a spare NZ spec factory E46 cassette / radio that drives the factory 6 disc changer and works with the multifunction wheel if you are interested. It is from a year 2000 build 330ci.

I have a spare NZ spec factory E46 cassette / radio that drives the factory 6 disc changer and works with the multifunction wheel if you are interested. It is from a year 2000 build 330ci.

But would it fit a 1999 320i? I will get the chassis number and see if it would fit, also ive got a 323ci but my unit does not have a changer just a single cd.... whats all that about (people being cheap when they purchased the car!)

Saying that my car was ex team mcmillan demo car.........hhhmmm

Cheers

Edited by Heresharry

But would it fit a 1999 320i? I will get the chassis number and see if it would fit, also ive got a 323ci but my unit does not have a changer just a single cd.... whats all that about (people being cheap when they purchased the car!)

Saying that my car was ex team mcmillan demo car.........hhhmmm

Cheers

Physically it should fit that no problems - it is the old generation stereo / harness and should fit anything up to 2001 I think. Jochen or Hotwire may be able to tell you exactly when the cutover was (but I am 99.9% sure it was after mine).

The only issue may be how mangled the wiring harness is from the aftermarket stereo. If they were smart, they used a jumper cable and didn't touch the main harness. If not, then you might have a job to do rewiring it.... Have you got a CD changer in the 320i? If not, I think there is one on Trademe at the moment, or someone else on Bimmersport may have a spare unit.

I am quite happy for you to come over and trial it if you want. PM me if you want to have a look at / play with it.

Aaaaah...so you drive a diesel VW :D

You got it: I now have the 2008 VW Passat Variant, 2.0L TDI common-rail turbo-charged diesel, 140 horsepower (103KW). Practical family car.

Common rail is soo much quieter than the previous model.

Currently I have 45km on the clock :-)

All radios from when the E46 was first built to 2001 will fit any pre-2001 E46.

The only change was 2001, when they changed from old-generation to new-generation radios.

Post 2001 has different radio connector and different antenna amplifier.

Edited by jochen

You got it: I now have the 2008 VW Passat Variant, 2.0L TDI common-rail turbo-charged diesel, 140 horsepower (103KW). Practical family car.

Common rail is soo much quieter than the previous model.

Currently I have 45km on the clock :-)

How do you like it ?? One of my customers has one...luvs it. Just watch the oil though. They use a bit for the first 10-20k when running in. Its a special oil too...dealer only in NZ. I cant get it anywhere else and you must use their oil.

How do you like it ?? One of my customers has one...luvs it. Just watch the oil though. They use a bit for the first 10-20k when running in. Its a special oil too...dealer only in NZ. I cant get it anywhere else and you must use their oil.

Yeah I note they supply a litre of oil with the car. I will keep an eye on. Does remind me that i never checked my last Passat - only had it for 3 months as a temporary car.

The new common rail engine is sooooo much quieter than the older TDI diesel.

Good car, shame I could only get a base version - I'd like to have had a few extra features :-(

Electric park brake takes getting used to.

Electric-assisted steering is good, and the ESP and antilocking work really well, especially on snow.

Family has lots of room, kids find it comfortable. Overall a good car.

And the particle filter on the diesel makes you feel good too :-)

Ok, seeing as there is already no standard stereos around(not that many anyway) im going to install an Alpine single cd mp3/ipod ready head unit.

Has anyone else used Alpine in there car and is there any preferences and are then any good with the standard BMW set up??

Thanks for the replies guys! :rolleyes:

Ok, seeing as there is already no standard stereos around(not that many anyway) im going to install an Alpine single cd mp3/ipod ready head unit.

Has anyone else used Alpine in there car and is there any preferences and are then any good with the standard BMW set up??

Thanks for the replies guys! :rolleyes:

Did you try ebay? The RDS stereos are region programmable. Check http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=15780

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Acces...0251459944&

I personally like Alpine stereos, but don't like the aesthetics in the E46 dash. Oh and Jochen knows a thing or 2 about these things ;)

Hi Guys...i ended up going for an Alpine unit in the end just so i could utilise bluetooth and aux input aswell as looking fairly cool too!!

Just got it in the post today so will post some pics at the weekend of it done

Edited by Heresharry