Sign in to follow this  
bravo

New ride - not BMW

Was looking for a new car for the g/f to daily as her e30 got an unplanned facelift.

Looked at about 10 vehicles including 4 e30's. Finally narrowed it down to either Glenn's (botanymotorworx) 316 or an mr2.

I've always wanted an sw20, it was priced well, so we went for it even though Glenns e30 would have been a good buy aswell.

So I thought I'd post some pics.

Its a '90 NA (2L DOHC 4-pot 3sge) with 170kms, and is in mint condition. Flew through a Toyota Extended Warranty check with the exception of play in a tie-rod end which was negotiated off the price. Good compression in all cylinders.

Thats one hell of alot of mid-engined sportscar for under $3500 IMO. It has slightly less power in NA form than the 325i, and noticeably less torque, but that said it can easily keep up and is a much nicer ride with better handling, a good driving position and the added plus of a wind-in-your-hair t-top.

Went and picked it up from Whangarei heads in the e30. (Awesome twisty road to have a play). The view over the engine cover and through the rear spoiler at the mtech-II slowly getting smaller behind me as the g/f struggled to keep up was awesome.

Pics are just the ones the vendor had on TM. I probably won't bother taking anymore to post here being a BMW forum, but I just felt like putting them up here for comments.

post-339-1212546334_thumb.jpg

post-339-1212546341_thumb.jpg

post-339-1212546345_thumb.jpg

post-339-1212546350_thumb.jpg

Edited by bravo

. (Awesome twisty road to have a play). The view over the engine cover and through the rear spoiler at the mtech-II slowly getting smaller behind me as the g/f struggled to keep up was awesome.

Haha racing the girlfriend! thats awsum

Not a bad car from what I remember. Being a Toyota, it should be boringly reliable too!

Okay so can I get a number 3 around the sides and short on top thanks.

Just kidding Graham, Looks quite good man :)

Looks in good nick, can't go wrong with the money you spent.

Brothers turbo MR2 punches out 170kw @ wheels with bigger throttle body, re tune etc.

Just kidding Graham, Looks quite good man :)

beat me to it Ryan

i take it the e30 got crashed...

i would have thought its slower than a 325i...what are they around 150hp?

Holy value batman!

Manual or auto?

Looks to be in great condition! How many KMs?

ts a '90 NA (2L DOHC 4-pot 3sge) with 170kms

Nice choice of car graham, those things are great fun, my dad had turbo one in the same colour years ago and it was awesome, good memories.

Good to see you got one with the targa tops, convertible without the wimpy looks.

My brother used to have a disturbingly over-powered AW11, good fun little cars. Try find a set of facelift 15" alloys to replace those piddly 14"s. Will look much nicer.

Why is the badge upside down?

Yeah I was wondering that. I think it may have had a respray at some time ?? i know the clear coat goes on these, so considering the condition of the paint, that is more than likely. Has no evidence of crash repairs.

i take it the e30 got crashed...

i would have thought its slower than a 325i...what are they around 150hp?

yup. Idiot came at her on the wrong side of the road. It was either hit him or take her chances with the ditch. She chose the ditch and ended up head-on into a tree.

Factory they came with 113kw (154hp) so that's 10% less than m20b25. The big difference is torque. 186Nm vs 222Nm for the m20. The mr2 weighs about 1145kg (factory spec) vs 1300kg for the e30, but then add another 40kg for sound install and tools in the e30.

The mr2 is more nimble. In a straight line or up hills the e30 pulls much harder, but in the twisty's the mr2 is pretty equal.

The fact that it beat the e30 home was a factor of the driver, not the car.

Manual or auto?

manual of course!

Was looking for a new car for the g/f to daily

smart arse :D