Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Rattly Gearbox

Hey all. Ok so I got my puk clutch in 2 weeks ago. After getting it in it started making a clunking noise at idle only when the cluth is engaged in neutral. When i push the clutch pedal in and the clutch disengaes the noise goes away. Also all the front gears on the shifter (1,3,5) are very easy to pull out of gear when off the throttle whilst driving along. 5th gear would sometimes pop out when coasting on the open road.

So I pulled it all apart again to check if my release bearing and spiggot bearing was ok and they are both sweet. Put it all back together and the noise is still there and has been getting louder. I think i may have ruined the input shaft bearing when I put the gearbox back on, being my typical ruthless self had weight on the input shaft when trying to slip into place may have caused the damage. What do you guys all think?

Any input apprecieated..

Cheers, Luke

Well it sounds like your diagnosis is a pretty good one. All bolts on flywheel and clutch torqued up properly? gearbox oil has been changed?

Hey all. Ok so I got my puk clutch in 2 weeks ago.

Rattling is sometimes a side effect of having an unsprung clutch, but I think that noise is only there when the clutch is disengaged (clutch in).

I guess your input shaft and/or release bearing could be stuffed. My release bearing is pretty noisy in neutral with the clutch out, but it is more a scraping sound.

Rattles at idle with the clutch out? Sounds like a diesel? Worse when gearbox is warm?

Its the clutch plate. Quite normal if its unsprung or if you have a lightened flywheel. It tranfers vibration from the engine into the gearbox.

Sometimes a thicker oil can help but basicly just live with it.

Make sure the gearbox oil is good tho so theres no chance of damage to the box.

Dosn't explain the other prob tho.

Well it sounds like your diagnosis is a pretty good one. All bolts on flywheel and clutch torqued up properly? gearbox oil has been changed?

Yup torqued everything up properly with my torque wrench Ollie. I didnt do the oil as I only replaced it when I did the conversion at the end of the year, however I did top it up.

Rattling is sometimes a side effect of having an unsprung clutch, but I think that noise is only there when the clutch is disengaged (clutch in).

I guess your input shaft and/or release bearing could be stuffed. My release bearing is pretty noisy in neutral with the clutch out, but it is more a scraping sound.

Yea so I've been told but as you say im sure it wouldnt be noisy when the clutch is clamped... The noise is rather loud very definite and clanky etc..

Rattles at idle with the clutch out? Sounds like a diesel? Worse when gearbox is warm?

Its the clutch plate. Quite normal if its unsprung or if you have a lightened flywheel. It tranfers vibration from the engine into the gearbox.

Sometimes a thicker oil can help but basicly just live with it.

Make sure the gearbox oil is good tho so theres no chance of damage to the box.

Dosn't explain the other prob tho.

Haha yup westy when the clutch pedal is out. What do you mean by sounds like a diesel? And yes definitely worse once the gearbox has warmed up, gets much louder. Maye I should replace the oil for a start and also might take it to my mate at brake & clutch to havea descent listen.

Luke

Yup torqued everything up properly with my torque wrench Ollie. I didnt do the oil as I only replaced it when I did the conversion at the end of the year, however I did top it up.

Yea so I've been told but as you say im sure it wouldnt be noisy when the clutch is clamped... The noise is rather loud very definite and clanky etc..

Haha yup westy when the clutch pedal is out. What do you mean by sounds like a diesel? And yes definitely worse once the gearbox has warmed up, gets much louder. Maye I should replace the oil for a start and also might take it to my mate at brake & clutch to havea descent listen.

Luke

mine made the same noise as your describing it, i changed gearbox fluid with red line fully synthetic not alot came out , but since then havnt had that noise , layshaft due to not enough fluid i put it down to

Edited by E30 bandit

True Im gonna give it ago. Save me replacing all the bearings in it. When i filled my gearbox up i filled it to the level of the filler hole in the side of the box with the box flat on the garage floor...

I have a similar problem. After the gearbox warms up, it clunks and sounds terrbile in neutral. Stops when I put in the clutch. May have to do a change of the oil, the top bung is in a tricky place to get the oil into!

Where do you get red line oil from?

Redline oil you can pickup from BNT each product varies in price, I use a a redline fully synthetic ATF oil in mine, the top bung can be a bitch you ideally need two people, a squeeze bottle, and a long clear tube, have one person hold the tube in the side of the gearbox, and the other person stand next to the car and squeeze the fluid in.

I use the redline synthetic ATF in my gearbox too.

It still rattles (sounds like a diesel at idle) from the lightened flywheel.

Its a pretty thin fluid so dont expect it to quite it down any.

Better make sure its still full tho.

Rang up BNT about that oil ant its $30 a litre. Sounds a bit expensive or is it normally that much?

Rang up BNT about that oil ant its $30 a litre. Sounds a bit expensive or is it normally that much?

That'll be the retail price, yes.

Ring more BNTs until you find one that gives you a discount, LOL.

i got 2.5ltrs of redline mt-90 gear oil thru my local garage for $60,

with the correct oil level in gearbox it should stop the rattle some what, mine did