Sign in to follow this  
ashok540

1998 540i E39 Nav system (Jap import)

Hi, my 540 has a DVD navigation system with a Japan disk. If I switch it on while driving, the screen shows me driving somewhere in Japan, obvioulsy need a NZ disk. The question is, if I put a NZ disk, will the Nav system start working? Anything else needed? From where do I get a disk or anything else required to get this working in NZ?

Cheers.

Jochen is the man when it comes to tv/nav. Send him a PM.

Nav Disc's you can get from BMW NZ, but they cost an arm and a leg. I'm sure theres other places to get the discs.

The DVD is about $700 and im sure they don’t work on Japanese imports as the system is different. Good luck.

The DVD is about $700 and im sure they don’t work on Japanese imports as the system is different. Good luck.

Not true, I had a Jap import BMW E39 and the nav system worked perfectly in the Jap car with the original NZ disc.

Of course, you have to do a few small mods to make it work first....

Hi, my 540 has a DVD navigation system with a Japan disk. If I switch it on while driving, the screen shows me driving somewhere in Japan, obvioulsy need a NZ disk. The question is, if I put a NZ disk, will the Nav system start working? Anything else needed? From where do I get a disk or anything else required to get this working in NZ?

Yes, fully possible to make it work. I did this on my 1997 540i E39.

Exactly what is required varies a bit depending on the year and version of the system you have fitted. It is more than just the disc though. The nav computer needs changing to the Euro model, and some minor rewiring required.

But rest assured that you can have the radio, navigation, TV and telephone fully working 100% in New Zealand.

I can give you more detail but I need to know your chassis number (last 7 digits, in format AA12345)

If you are handy at working on cars, you can do the work yourself to make the nav go.

Otherwise, Hotwire in Te Awamutu can do the full job for you.

I just had the same response from the newmarket bmw. Oh its a jap import, oh it wont work. I have a 2003 745i. Any help would be much appreciated :)

I just had the same response from the newmarket bmw. Oh its a jap import, oh it wont work. I have a 2003 745i. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Yes, we do conversion for E65 as well. To do this it is not just replacing computer. more coding/programming are needed.

Also can convert radio, TV in motion...etc