Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

E39 stereo help please

I have a business head unit,only problem is I absolutly hate cd stackers.

Is there an RCA input in the back of it...it looks like a c*nt to get at so I don't want to risk braking the badass dash to find nothing.

If not,what is the best way to be able to get some sort of MP3 playback through it without using a cassete with a headphone jack or a wireless fm transmitter!

Cheers

Ashkan

I have a business head unit,only problem is I absolutly hate cd stackers.

Is there an RCA input in the back of it...it looks like a c*nt to get at so I don't want to risk braking the badass dash to find nothing.

If not,what is the best way to be able to get some sort of MP3 playback through it without using a cassete with a headphone jack or a wireless fm transmitter!

The input is a balanced twisted-pair, not RCA. But you could connect RCA connectors to the lead. However, if the CD changer doesn't say hello every 30 seconds, the headunit determines the CD changer is dead or not fitted.

So one of the things you can do is fit a CD-changer emulator that provides Aux-In, these are easy to find. Google for "BMW Aux-In"

Depending on your model of BMW (you don't say what it is), its age and the model of radio fitted, you may be able to get an iPod interface that shows song titles and controls the iPod.

PS: removing the headunit is very easy when you know how, very little to no disassembly required (depends on model of car)

Edited by jochen

Ohh woops sorry, car is a 1996 520i.All I can gather from the stereo is it says something like BMW business?

The CD stacker works but I hate it.Don't ask why.I would love something like an Icelink but don't think it would work would it.

So on the back will there be some sort of input?

So did you end up buying a 520? Pics???

Will get pics up ASAP.Tardme pics suck so don't wanna spoil it.

Picked the car up yesterday from vegas.

Went and got new shoes today :D

Awaiting suspension

Ohh woops sorry, car is a 1996 520i.All I can gather from the stereo is it says something like BMW business?

The CD stacker works but I hate it.Don't ask why.I would love something like an Icelink but don't think it would work would it.

So on the back will there be some sort of input?

1996 = E39

Standard DIN-sized stereo with a custom BMW face plate.

> don't think it would work would it.

Why assume it won't? Google "E39 icelink" and you find 15,600 pages.

Look at Denisons website and within seconds you find the correct model IceLink for your car.

Awesome.Cheers for that, have read a bit now and it seems that the intravee is the way to go?

But can't seem to find one that will suit my headunit in the car.Anywhere else I should be looking :S