Sign in to follow this  
Matasorapit

In search of wisdom (98 318i)

Hi people, this is my first post on your fantastic forum. I have read most of the posts and found some really helpful advice and links... and ideas.

Last week, I brought a new car and this time I went Bimmer.

Love the car but still dont know much about it. Was imported from Singapore and still in good nik for a decade old.

I am gonna be asking a few questions over the next while but here is the first.

The car seems to have no CD stacker. I have searched the car and cannot find it. Reading here that its suppost to be in the boot, I took a look but only found a battery.

So, my question now is do I need a BMW CD stacker or will another one do the trick...or

How do you fit another car sterio in without damaging the climate control thing?

I am keen for ideas guys.

All advice is good advice.

Cheers

Your car is an E46 I'm guessing?

I think so, In all honesty I dont know. I will need to grab the ownership papers out. It has the headlights with the shaped look as opposed to the square look if thats any help. Just had a look on the registration and all it has is 318i.

Does it look like the cars in mine or gannetboys sig? if not its an e46 which sounds likely

I think so, In all honesty I dont know. I will need to grab the ownership papers out. It has the headlights with the shaped look as opposed to the square look if thats any help. Just had a look on the registration and all it has is 318i.

OK, it's an E46. However, your car may not have been optioned with a CD changer, did the seller tell you it had one? If it did it would be on the left hand side of the boot behind the carpet shrouding.

I'm not an expert, but I believe the BMW CD changers were manufactured by Sony, so one of their models might work. Best wait for Jochen or Hotwire (forum members) to turn up in this thread as they know far more about this subject than I do

Cheers, yeah it as the buttons for the CD but when I pushed em it said something about stacker unlocated.

I guess it was nicked when it was imported. Seller just said it had a built in sterio and my stupidness forgot to check the cd. Still, I love the car and this is just a minor glitch.

I just got a cd stacker (Sony) from trade me but after reading the questions I just found out it has no cartrage... how lucky am I... not? Still, it will be a start and someting to play with if I use it or not.

I dont care too much for the state of the art sound system. Just something to play CDs or stuff while cruising with my kids. Some of the guys here have normal car sterios in the area where the factory one sits. How does that work out? Do you need to purchase a plate that houses non factory systems?

The radio works fine but the on-off, volume knob is a bit old looking so replacing the entire thing sounds like a good option.

Cheers, yeah it as the buttons for the CD but when I pushed em it said something about stacker unlocated.

I guess it was nicked when it was imported. Seller just said it had a built in sterio and my stupidness forgot to check the cd. Still, I love the car and this is just a minor glitch.

I just got a cd stacker (Sony) from trade me but after reading the questions I just found out it has no cartrage... how lucky am I... not? Still, it will be a start and someting to play with if I use it or not.

I dont care too much for the state of the art sound system. Just something to play CDs or stuff while cruising with my kids. Some of the guys here have normal car sterios in the area where the factory one sits. How does that work out? Do you need to purchase a plate that houses non factory systems?

The radio works fine but the on-off, volume knob is a bit old looking so replacing the entire thing sounds like a good option.

My 323i came without the stacker but with the cartridge, quoted $3-$400 for a standard stacker - Just wasn't worth it so I put a nice Panasonic headunit in.

320i has the stacker + standard headunit and its excellent.

If you want you can have my spare cartridge for the cost of postage, Its just a standard BMW one from an E36.

Unsure if it will fit

So, my question now is do I need a BMW CD stacker or will another one do the trick...or

OEM BMW changer for the E46 was made by Alpine

Identified as "CD Changer A" on the front panel (A means Alpine!!)

The CD changer has a BMW-specific control signal (ibus)

Only a BMW changer will work with the BMW factory stereo

Changers are easy to find, always a few on eBay, sometimes some on TradeMe.

This is what was written on the CD stacker I brought from Trade Me.

This stacker will suit the following cars:

golf polo wrx evo rx7 rx8 mx5 sp23 6 gt gti gtt gtr gt4 gts tt skyline turbo mag alloy 300z 350z legacy rs altezza b4 blitzen forester bluebird maxima passat x5 x3 awd 4wd mr2 accord civic sti swift 318 525 728i 730i 740i 750i cube stream 206 307 406 407 vvti boxster vtec v-tec vw suv subaru mitsubishi bmw mercedes s320 s280 s350 s500 s430 s600 s55 AMG mazda toyota windom levin suzuki honda holden ford bagged lowered body kit getz sonata volkswagon audi nissan celsior porsche peugeot rover volve jeep jaguar lexus ls460 ls400 is200 es300 audi a4 a6 a8 corolla camry avalon beetle s type x type holden

If it doesnt work its all good. I am still interested in maybe getting a new head unit from another brand, but how would it fit on without damaging the climate control. How would it look too, is there a plate that fits standard head units into the allocated space. And if so, where to buy em.

Cheers for all your help people

[crap deleted]

That guy wrote crap. CD changers cannot work across x-zillion different OEM factory radios in different brand and model cars

is there a plate that fits standard head units into the allocated space. And if so, where to buy em.

Yes. Edited by jochen

This stacker will suit the following cars:

golf polo wrx evo rx7 rx8 mx5 sp23 6 gt gti gtt gtr gt4 gts tt skyline turbo mag alloy 300z 350z legacy rs altezza b4 blitzen forester bluebird maxima passat x5 x3 awd 4wd mr2 accord civic sti swift 318 525 728i 730i 740i 750i cube stream 206 307 406 407 vvti boxster vtec v-tec vw suv subaru mitsubishi bmw mercedes s320 s280 s350 s500 s430 s600 s55 AMG mazda toyota windom levin suzuki honda holden ford bagged lowered body kit getz sonata volkswagon audi nissan celsior porsche peugeot rover volve jeep jaguar lexus ls460 ls400 is200 es300 audi a4 a6 a8 corolla camry avalon beetle s type x type holden

I would ask the retard that sold you this how it fits on the things I have bolded!!!!!

Hope you get it to work.

Edited by braeden.

Thanks guys, I must be the type of stupid fool this person was aiming at.

I have emailled the seller and stopped the payment and stuff. Hopefully it wont make my trade me rep bad but the seller did mis inform me.

I am still keen on getting a cd or mp3 player in my car working. The volume/ on off knob is also broken. It works but you can pull it off without any trouble. Getting this replaced may take a bit so I guess I will get a new sterio.

Is there a plate that fits the bmw around standard car sterios?

It wont stop my air con, climate control from working will it?

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Hi mate have you already purchased the car as i am about to sell my 2001 e46 in black and might be worth looking at it.you may text me 0212509057 if interested.

Thanks guys, I must be the type of stupid fool this person was aiming at.

I have emailled the seller and stopped the payment and stuff. Hopefully it wont make my trade me rep bad but the seller did mis inform me.

I am still keen on getting a cd or mp3 player in my car working. The volume/ on off knob is also broken. It works but you can pull it off without any trouble. Getting this replaced may take a bit so I guess I will get a new sterio.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Edited by blackbmw

If the violume control knob itself is broken, you can get a new one from BMW. Available as a spare part.

If the aluminium shaft for the volume control is broken then a donor stereo will be needed to fix it.

Did you not read my post? I gave you all the info - follow the link and you get price and availability etc. See my reply 2 or 3 posts before this one

No. Air con is unaffected by the stereo.

Hi mate have you already purchased the car as i am about to sell my 2001 e46 in black and might be worth looking at it.you may text me 0212509057 if interested.

Hi mate, yeah, I brought it a few weeks back. I needed a new project and the BMW seemed to be the best option. I would have been dead keen on taking a look at your ride mate but just a few weeks too late. I aint to good with luck.

Cheers anyway