Sign in to follow this  
BMWolf

Oil cooler

Hi all, When I purchased my 2.5 doner block it came with an oil filter bracket (see photos) that I assume has porting for an oil cooler. I have a couple of questions about it:

1, is this an after market or excessory unit?

2, does it require or come with an external pump?

3, if not why has it got an oil pressure relief valve?

4, can anyone tell my what model it is from?

Any and all answers greatly appreciated.

Wayne

post-2146-1213828129_thumb.jpgpost-2146-1213828216_thumb.jpg

post-2146-1213828017_thumb.jpg

Looks like mine too, think only the 325i and M3 E30 came with oil coolers

I was thinking of adding one of these into my e30 since I have a cooler lying around, are these worthwile? Do they do they help at all?

looks like mine too, 325i with an auto box

Thanks all, I have looked at ETK for an E30 325i and it does have an oil cooler but no pressure relief valve, the M3 is a 4 cylinder and this is a 6 so I am still not to sure of its origin. I wil just put it in with a cooler and hope the existing internal pump can handle it. I have included an update of the engine bay, still trying to figure out where all the wires go. Thanks again

Waynepost-2146-1213907207_thumb.jpg

post-2146-1213906821_thumb.jpg

post-2146-1213907347_thumb.jpg

Thanks all, I have looked at ETK for an E30 325i and it does have an oil cooler but no pressure relief valve, the M3 is a 4 cylinder and this is a 6 so I am still not to sure of its origin. I wil just put it in with a cooler and hope the existing internal pump can handle it. I have included an update of the engine bay, still trying to figure out where all the wires go. Thanks again

Sorry, looks like I got a bit carried away with the photo post, they are the same, just take your pick.

W

my understanding of the M20 oil cooler was that it is a good idea to run one if you've got it. Particularly if you give it sh*t the whole time or live in a warm climate. Not gonna be the end of the world if you don't run one, just make sure you cooling system is up to scratch, especially for the 2.5L.

Is it possible your confusing the pressure relief valve for the thermostate, I'm pretty sure that the oil only starts flowing through the cooler when it gets hot enough.

That motor looks damn cool, you running it as speed-density or Alpha-N? from the pic it looks like 3 of the vacuum lines are running to a MAP sensor but its hard to tell. You're not going to run into any problems with the injectors that far from the ports?

Edited by Mike

my understanding of the M20 oil cooler was that it is a good idea to run one if you've got it. Particularly if you give it sh*t the whole time or live in a warm climate. Not gonna be the end of the world if you don't run one, just make sure you cooling system is up to scratch, especially for the 2.5L.

Is it possible your confusing the pressure relief valve for the thermostate, I'm pretty sure that the oil only starts flowing through the cooler when it gets hot enough.

That motor looks damn cool, you running it as speed-density or Alpha-N? from the pic it looks like 3 of the vacuum lines are running to a MAP sensor but its hard to tell. You're not going to run into any problems with the injectors that far from the ports?

Thanks for the comments, you are probably right about the thermostat it has what appears to be a heat sensitive spindle under the spring but I still do not Know which modle its from. You are also right about the MAP sensor, 3 lines for that 2 for vacumn and 1 for air temp.

I did a lot of reading befor I built the manifolds and 300mm from valve head to throttle trumpet end seems to be the best for mid range torque, i just hope I am right.

Wayne